New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)  (Read 220877 times)

Offline Iceman12020

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)
« Reply #780 on: Jan 11, 2019, 10:27 AM »
Great to hear there's 6" of black ice at Wally's.
Does the lake normally freeze at the far south end where School Street crosses the lake?

Not sure about that.  I would suspect since this is a channel between Mayfield and Sacandaga it doesn't freeze great but really I have no idea

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #781 on: Jan 11, 2019, 11:30 AM »
Rode by the School Street spillway this morning. Open water at the spillway but the channel leading to the big lake is solid

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #782 on: Jan 13, 2019, 06:23 PM »
Fished the North end Saturday and Sunday, around 5-7” of ice.  Still open way up by the dam.  Shoreline wasn’t great Saturday but firmed up Sunday.  Action was slow, but two beautiful days. 

Offline Cowboys#1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #783 on: Jan 19, 2019, 11:11 AM »
Buddy's had a good morning on the Dead Sea.... While I'm stuck at work

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #784 on: Jan 19, 2019, 11:22 AM »
Careful out there guys saw on the news a snowmobiler died after hitting a pressure ridge last night.

Offline B-P Fish Club

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #785 on: Jan 19, 2019, 03:11 PM »
A few of the kids from the fishing club made it out there today. They had a slow day. They said there are pressure ridges out there that are virtually invisible until you get up on them. Scary stuff. Thoughts and prayers to the family of the man that lost his life last night.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #786 on: Jan 20, 2019, 11:55 AM »
Fulton County Sheriff's Office has put out an official warning about the three big pressure ridges between Lanzi's and Sport Island Pub. The lake is being lowered two inches a day, causing this dangerous situation. Be careful out there!

Offline FLAGGGG1114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #787 on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:14 PM »
Anyone know ice conditions near sport island pub/Lanzis? How much snow did you get up there? Thinking of going up on Wednesday.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #788 on: Jan 21, 2019, 06:50 AM »
There have been a few guys fishing out from Sport Island the last week or so. We got close to 20 inches of snow just north of Northville....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline StriperLund

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fisherman Who Hunts
« Reply #789 on: Jan 21, 2019, 07:51 AM »
I was on Sacandaga in the Northville Area Saturday morning. There was a lot of ice. 14 or 15". The snow was great for walking but now with 20" of fresh snow its going to be tough going. Caught 2x Walleyes on 2x :tipup: and that was it. Fished from an hour before sunrise to 10:30.  :tipup:
Ain't No Buddy Gots Time Fo' Dat!!!

Offline Iceman12020

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #790 on: Jan 21, 2019, 09:53 AM »
Seeing how everyone is doing on the dead sea this year primary the south end of the Lake.   Have fished out from Wally's a hand full of times already with not so great success, occasional morning bite / dusk and evening bite seems non-existent.

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #791 on: Jan 21, 2019, 10:11 AM »
Hey Cowboy,what are those fish in your buds pic next to the perch?

FN

Offline Cowboys#1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #792 on: Jan 21, 2019, 10:31 AM »
Hey Cowboy,what are those fish in your buds pic next to the perch?
Walleyes

FN

Offline Fishmongerlyndon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #793 on: Jan 28, 2019, 09:29 AM »
Hey all, Just wondering where the best access around the Batchellerville bridge is. I have never fished the lake through the ice and I figured its about time. Any information would be greatly appreciated !

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #794 on: Jan 28, 2019, 09:56 AM »
Hey all, Just wondering where the best access around the Batchellerville bridge is. I have never fished the lake through the ice and I figured its about time. Any information would be greatly appreciated !

From the South Shore side, just before the bridge, on the left, there is a small town park. Depending on how much snow there is, parking might be tough. That's about it. The rest, both sides of the lake, is permitted or private land. Also, in 55 years of going up there, I have never seen the water fully frozen all around the bridge. With them letting the water out at 2" a day, there are hazards in many areas right now. You might try the Edinburgh Marina, on the other side of the bridge. I don't know if they allow access in the winter. Be safe!

Offline p.schroeder

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hitting the hard water since 1992
« Reply #795 on: Jan 28, 2019, 10:47 AM »
Hi everyone! Does anyone know how things are looking in the Broadalbin boat launch/Sand Island/Frenchmans Creek area? A few of us are going to try and walk out this afternoon for a few hours after work. Any ice depths, snow depths, or suggestions for that area would be greatly appreciated.
FLAG!!!  

Offline GitRDone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #796 on: Jan 28, 2019, 10:55 AM »
Hi everyone! Does anyone know how things are looking in the Broadalbin boat launch/Sand Island/Frenchmans Creek area? A few of us are going to try and walk out this afternoon for a few hours after work. Any ice depths, snow depths, or suggestions for that area would be greatly appreciated.

Was out of there yesterday and it was fine. Wear spikes on boots as there is a lot of glare ice from wind blowing snow off the ice. Had a good day catching some eyes. Tight lines

Offline p.schroeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #797 on: Jan 28, 2019, 12:57 PM »
Thanks very much GitRDone. That's awesome to hear, that's just the critter we're after lol. How much ice did you have? Is it driveable by truck or are we better off walking? Trying to go from the boat launch the mile or so out near sand island, and that's a LONG walking dragging gear lol.
FLAG!!!  

Offline Fishmongerlyndon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #798 on: Jan 28, 2019, 01:05 PM »
Thanks for the info Hardwaternubie53! Hopefully i can find some fish!

Offline GitRDone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #799 on: Jan 28, 2019, 02:30 PM »
Thanks very much GitRDone. That's awesome to hear, that's just the critter we're after lol. How much ice did you have? Is it driveable by truck or are we better off walking? Trying to go from the boat launch the mile or so out near sand island, and that's a LONG walking dragging gear lol.

We drove a four wheeler out from the boat launch. There was aprox 12-14" of ice where we went.

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #800 on: Jan 28, 2019, 05:05 PM »
You don't need to walk that distance to Sand Island for fish. Plenty of good fishing in a shorter distance. If you have a topo type map you will see the drops and structures you are searching for to your LEFT off Broadalbin Launch. Can't give specifics but need to find those areas. Maps are general and diligent searching locates them. Don't follow the crowd unless you want to talk all day and don't care about flags. Not trying to stir things up but anything foe less of a walk would be Northhampton..........
      Kim :tipup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline p.schroeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #801 on: Jan 28, 2019, 09:59 PM »
You don't need to walk that distance to Sand Island for fish. Plenty of good fishing in a shorter distance. If you have a topo type map you will see the drops and structures you are searching for to your LEFT off Broadalbin Launch. Can't give specifics but need to find those areas. Maps are general and diligent searching locates them. Don't follow the crowd unless you want to talk all day and don't care about flags. Not trying to stir things up but anything foe less of a walk would be Northhampton..........
      Kim :tipup:

I use the navionics app on my phone. I saw some of those structures you're referring to off to the left. Think I might try them next time out, sand island didn't pan out tonight. Thanks for the suggestion!
FLAG!!!  

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #802 on: Jan 29, 2019, 11:14 AM »
Thanks for the info Hardwaternubie53! Hopefully i can find some fish!

Welcome. I do best in the southern part of the lake in the winter, near Deer Island or Wally's. Good luck.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #803 on: Feb 02, 2019, 07:00 PM »
Pulled some eyes out of the Dead Sea today. I landed 2 , lost 3. Rowan landed 4 . Tons of ice. About 6-8 inches of snow on the ice.

Offline Naturesway518

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #804 on: Feb 03, 2019, 02:57 PM »
Shot in the dark! I lost a 4" ice auger with a clam plate and DeWalt drill attached on the ice Saturday off Bolton Landing at the public launch. Hoping some good Samaritan found it. Please send me message.

Offline Naturesway518

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #805 on: Feb 03, 2019, 03:00 PM »
I was at the Broadalbin Public Launch not Bolton Landing!

Offline Iceman12020

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #806 on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:00 AM »
Anyone know where I could park on South shore road for the Fish house tournement this weekend?

Offline SeanP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formally known as SPN1
« Reply #807 on: Feb 04, 2019, 11:02 AM »
Pulled some eyes out of the Dead Sea today. I landed 2 , lost 3. Rowan landed 4 . Tons of ice. About 6-8 inches of snow on the ice.

Nice job on the eyes!! 

Offline p.schroeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #808 on: Feb 04, 2019, 12:01 PM »
Three of us fished yesterday out of Broadalbin. We fished from 6:00AM to 5:00PM. We had three flags all day and a couple of bites on the jig poles. Caught none of them lol. At least it was a nice day to get out. 15-17 inches of ice everywhere we drilled.
FLAG!!!  

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #809 on: Feb 04, 2019, 03:42 PM »
Hopefully we Will get back out and nail come keepers

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.