New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: otisco lake bs thread  (Read 179934 times)

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: otisco lake bs thread
« Reply #1680 on: Mar 09, 2021, 06:42 PM »
Thanks trapper glad you made it out after all your troubles..meaning flat tire I was ready to come and get ya if I had to buddy..yes those were some really big gills actually biggest ones I've got in a while out of there they were jumbos for sure when I put my camera down that hole and seen those monsters rite under the ice I knew I was gonna do good .you decent yourself nice fishing with you again buddy..and yes that fly was killer..that birdfeeder was on fire today .. ;D  2 days in a row I got my limit

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1681 on: Mar 09, 2021, 06:47 PM »

Here's a few pics

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1682 on: Mar 09, 2021, 06:49 PM »
Thanks trapper glad you made it out after all your troubles..meaning flat tire I was ready to come and get ya if I had to buddy..yes those were some really big gills actually biggest ones I've got in a while out of there they were jumbos for sure when I put my camera down that hole and seen those monsters rite under the ice I knew I was gonna do good .you decent yourself nice fishing with you again buddy..and yes that fly was killer..that birdfeeder was on fire today .. ;D

i made some buti did them different hook in vice  ,superglue hook shank  ,wrap shank with lead wire...take out of vice...powder paint white... ostridge hearl  for collar ...now itsheavy can be fished alone

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1683 on: Mar 09, 2021, 07:58 PM »
Way to go fellas! Nice work big-guy! They are pigs!! Sorry to read about the tire Trapper
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1684 on: Mar 10, 2021, 10:45 PM »
Anyone know how ice is at least shore line thanks

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1685 on: Mar 11, 2021, 07:15 AM »
take a spud big guy i watched ice disappear yesterday  in the canal ...i never seen it go so fast

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1686 on: Mar 11, 2021, 08:29 AM »
Onondaga Lake is going fast too. Wind and warm not a friend to us. Seems to be the same every year lately.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1687 on: Mar 11, 2021, 08:49 AM »
Onondaga Lake is going fast too. Wind and warm not a friend to us. Seems to be the same every year lately.

well lot of ice if the shore line holds on otisco well weather this warm spell .....

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1688 on: Mar 11, 2021, 01:43 PM »
No one otisco guess I'll drive out tomarrow morning unless someone has a report

Offline braz315

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1689 on: Mar 11, 2021, 04:56 PM »
"friend of a friend" put his leg through 30 yards off shore today was the story i got

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1690 on: Mar 11, 2021, 04:59 PM »
I was fishing in cayuga a little while ago today and he said he went in up to his knees not to far from shore line also

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1691 on: Mar 11, 2021, 05:32 PM »
told ya that shore line was going to go, it's all rock

Offline georgew

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My meat pole hangs heavy...
« Reply #1692 on: Mar 11, 2021, 10:12 PM »
Took a peak out at the park today... Some muskrats chilling at the edge of an open spot about 50 yards out... Anybody going out this weekend? Shore seemed close enough to plank out but not sure what the rest of the ice is like....

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1693 on: Mar 12, 2021, 05:06 AM »
Took a peak out at the park today... Some muskrats chilling at the edge of an open spot about 50 yards out... Anybody going out this weekend? Shore seemed close enough to plank out but not sure what the rest of the ice is like....
if someone went thru 30 yards out that's a lot farther than the shoreline. Sounds like it's toast to even attempt to fish.  >:( >:(

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1694 on: Mar 12, 2021, 05:32 AM »
Yup mite as well walk on a waffle gotta figure it was almost 70 here for 3 days and sun was out ...that's ok steel head trip today

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1695 on: Mar 12, 2021, 06:32 AM »
i told  ya  that day that shore line was  going to  go  to much air in that  ice and  most was  frozen  slush  i just a  spud that  day ......  i wouldn't  go out now

Offline georgew

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My meat pole hangs heavy...
« Reply #1696 on: Mar 12, 2021, 09:13 AM »
UGH I just wanted one more day... guess I'll have to wait a while  ::)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1697 on: Mar 12, 2021, 10:52 AM »
we all want one more day 

Offline jt13077

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1698 on: Jan 12, 2022, 04:40 PM »
Anyone?

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1699 on: Jan 12, 2022, 04:44 PM »
jt sorry man i  don't think any of us  will be  fishing otisco anymore they  lowered the limit to 15 blue gills and they have to be  8 inches .....i just can't  justify the  drive  for that to bad i been fishing that for  years

Offline jt13077

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1700 on: Jan 12, 2022, 04:48 PM »
Ohhh yeah.  I thought that was a “draft” and hadn’t actually passed yet…. It’s not too far from me….we’ll see how it goes.  Maybe check this weekend.

Offline FingerLaker607

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1701 on: Jan 12, 2022, 05:24 PM »
Poor guy can't get his gas/beer money from taking buckets of fish to market anymore. Such a shame

Offline skinny4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1702 on: Jan 12, 2022, 05:48 PM »
I
Poor guy can't get his gas/beer money from taking buckets of fish to market anymore. Such a shame
I'm sure he still can and will. Just from a different lake. Murica!!!

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1703 on: Jan 12, 2022, 07:12 PM »
Ohhh yeah.  I thought that was a “draft” and hadn’t actually passed yet…. It’s not too far from me….we’ll see how it goes.  Maybe check this weekend.
I believe you are correct. From what I read the other day they just recently closed public comments on this issue. If they go with it then it will take effect April 1st.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1704 on: Jan 13, 2022, 06:59 AM »
i don't sell fish ...not that i think it's  wrong i don't need gas money  and to be honest my nick name  growing up was  2  brew  it's all i could  drink ...i do eat a healthy diet and eat fish  3 times a week   to dive a hour to catch 15 bluegills  and they have to be 8 inches  isn't worth my time  when i life near jefferson county  ...... i can  be on oneida in  less time  and hammer perch and  walleyes  ......  i just want to be able to fish have  fun and catch a decent  dinner and i like fishing for  blue gills  to me a  7 inch gill is  fine and  50   makes  2 dinners  for us ...whats  so wrong with that?????  there  blue gills  God  makes  billions of them every year

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1705 on: Jan 13, 2022, 06:35 PM »
jt sorry man i  don't think any of us  will be  fishing otisco anymore they  lowered the limit to 15 blue gills and they have to be  8 inches .....i just can't  justify the  drive  for that to bad i been fishing that for  years

Hmm.  perhaps better thought process could have been used before DEC stocking tiger muskies  into Otisco.

Each muskie can consume 6-10 smaller bluegill per day , every day , 365 days per year

That’s average 2500 bluegills/panfish per muskie per year

Overfishing isn’t what is consuming the panfish……

Introducing a foreign species into the local ecosystem might be the issue?

I don’t know many fisherman who take home 2500 panfish annually.  lol

A study done by Wahl and Stein picks three major food items in a tiger muskies diet: gizzard shad, fat head minnows, and blue gill, an analyzed the food item most preferred, the optimal size of each fish, the bait fish easiest to live off of, and the reasons why those fish are the easiest prey to live off.

Optimal Prey size depends on how big the predator is and the prey type. Tiger muskies prefer blue gill to be 25 to 30 % of their body length, Gizzard shad are preferred to be between 30 and 36%, and fat head minnows to be 37 to 43% (Wahl and Stein1988)

Offline Tigerwoodsmuskie2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1706 on: Jan 14, 2022, 04:06 AM »
I'm sure those studies are accurate but I can tell you I caught a big Tiger a few years ago and it had a 6" and 8" perch in it's belly. Bearwood did the mount and showed them to me. They're eating machines for sure.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1707 on: Jan 14, 2022, 04:24 AM »
there is no lack of pan fish in otisco lake at all it's a  bad  day when you can't get a  decent limit  of med size  gills and we  do well on crappies  if you look for them  great small moth fishing too and   for  tip up bait i  just catch the  shinners  there  they are big!  that is why none of the people that fish pan fish understand the states  idea of "improving" otisco it's a great lake  for  a family short walk  lots  of  panfish and you can catch a  trophy tiger  while doing it ....state is really making a big mistake in what they are doing ,why fix something that works ...and no i don't catch buckets to sell for gas and beer i catch diner  and let the tigers go .... big al  big guy and i  just fish  for  fun and  dinner ...otisco  is  a great lake  but if you  cut the  gill limit to 15  and a size of  8 inches  most the  familys won't fish  and isn't that what fishing is all about????

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1708 on: Jan 14, 2022, 05:41 PM »
Tigers have been heavily stocked in the lake for decades and the panfish population has been good enough for you panfisherman all these years to make this your honey hole. Just saying….
I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1709 on: Jan 15, 2022, 10:04 AM »
greenhornet i agree  with you 100%

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.