New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: otisco lake bs thread  (Read 179934 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: otisco lake bs thread
« Reply #210 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:38 AM »
that  water is  so clean those  gills and  crappies  eat  well  ;D

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #211 on: Jan 26, 2015, 01:05 PM »
that  water is  so clean those  gills and  crappies  eat  well  ;D
....do they taste better than out of oneida ???

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #212 on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:31 PM »
hey trapper did u make it up today just wondering how u did

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #213 on: Jan 26, 2015, 05:35 PM »
I didn't :(  but  I  started setting up a crappie  gil rod  ....30 inch micro lite  glass blank with a  eagle claw in line reel .being dead serious  here  99.9 % of my ice fishing I only had a  mini ht spool for a reel ,not sure if I will like  this  or not  lol  .......thanks to bartels bait  in brewerton  for  setting me  up  with  it !

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #214 on: Jan 27, 2015, 05:52 AM »
i think you will like it trapper..but once your so used to something its hard to change..but give it try...sounds like a nice little rod... :thumbsup:

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #215 on: Jan 27, 2015, 03:13 PM »
i think you will like it trapper..but once your so used to something its hard to change..but give it try...sounds like a nice little rod... :thumbsup:

the rod I  tied myself  and  I  use it a lot  in the shanty  I use a 34 inch walking around  , the  reel feels good  on the  rod  and I like the smooth slow  adjustable  drop you  can get  with it ,holds 270  yards of  2# line and it has a smooth drag .....big difference  from a  mini ht spool  lol ,sure these would be great  for walleyejigging and  trout ,going togive it a try tomorrow big guy you going?

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #216 on: Jan 27, 2015, 04:39 PM »
yes i will be out there at 9am..ill be eearing my grumpy old man hat ;D..i have a blue flip down clam u will hear me parking my exaust fell off :roflmao:

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #217 on: Jan 27, 2015, 04:57 PM »
I got a black and red pack shack new  4 stroke  auger  blue ice armor brown parka if it's cold .....and you'll probably hear me cussing the new reel out  :roflmao:

Offline BudMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #218 on: Jan 27, 2015, 05:09 PM »
I liked those eagle claw in lines before I had 2 break on me. One snapped at the shaft connecting it to the rod on a really cold morning and the other one wore out internally. Lots of plastic parts in those reels. I did combine the 2 and have a working one again but I don't use it out on Oneida eyes anymore, only on crappie and gills. I see some companies put out some higher end all aluminum ones for like $80 or so. I paid $15 a piece for the eagle claws. I found some small Ryobi bait casters that work kind of like in line reels. Haven't really put them to the test yet though.

Offline icefishermanny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #219 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:01 PM »
Anywhere i can get a wheeler on from the north end?
icefisherman

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #220 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:15 PM »
why  bother  ?  short walk anyways ,would it be worth it

Offline icefishermanny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #221 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:40 PM »
for the tourney coming up, May want to head south by the park or something. I was just wondering
icefisherman

Offline spoof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #222 on: Jan 27, 2015, 09:24 PM »
If your careful, you can put one in at the park.  Stay away from the creek...

Offline OridginalPikeFreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #223 on: Jan 27, 2015, 10:08 PM »
looking to get some walleyes, were is a good area to fish? ive fished the north end for tigers but want to spend a day targeting eyes!!
come see me on facebook at  PikeFreak's fishing and outdoor's

Josh Miner Rochester NY

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #224 on: Jan 27, 2015, 10:34 PM »
i would put in at park...but i dont think i would ride threw the narrows....

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
« Reply #225 on: Jan 28, 2015, 12:02 AM »
Has anyone ever gotten any BS from a guy who lives near the park telling you that you can't launch machines from there?
He told me and my buddy that it's illegal to drive wheeled vehicles on the county property. I don't understand how he could think that anyone is tearing up the lawn that is frozen solid and under a bunch of snow. He also sees what we're up to... it's only a crow flight in and out of the park to the ice.
Anyone can be a fisherman in May...E.H.

Offline deadbaitjeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • can`t drink all day if udon`t start in the morning
« Reply #226 on: Jan 28, 2015, 05:22 AM »
there is a sign at the park that say's no motorized vehicles ,and I have parked next to it unloaded my 4 wheeler had the dec come out said he followed my tracks asked if I saw the sign,I said yes and he said that he could tell that we were just fishing and not screwing around and did not give me a ticket

Offline BudMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #227 on: Jan 28, 2015, 06:37 AM »
looking to get some walleyes, were is a good area to fish? ive fished the north end for tigers but want to spend a day targeting eyes!!

Oneida ;D Look back a few pages because we were talking about Otisco eyes. Very few and far between through the ice.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #228 on: Jan 28, 2015, 06:56 AM »
ive been fishing otisco on the ice for ever noe...in all my fishing trips ive gotten one eye through the ice..and i fish hard ...and i got mine 7 yrs ago roughly and that was caught out from foot prints in about 20;25 foot a water...and i was jigging for perch with a pimple tipped with a minnow fathead just luck is how i look at it

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #229 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:00 AM »
i would put in at park...but i dont think i would ride threw the narrows....

Yep if your fishing the main lake launch at the park if your going to fish by the dam WALK.
The ice was allot thicker last year and the narrows nearly ate my wheeler you will probably see sleds zipping through there though.
To give a point of referance this path in the snow is my 60" plow.

"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #230 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:04 AM »
crackin up sporty...i was gonna add to my line....stay awzy fron narrows just ask sporty ;D

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #231 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:26 AM »
crackin up sporty...i was gonna add to my line....stay away from narrows just ask sporty ;D

Yep! I did see wheeler tracks going out through there last weekend but that was a small 200 Honda that weighs half as much as my Polaris 500.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #232 on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:05 AM »
trapper you get lost today

Offline buckclub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #233 on: Jan 28, 2015, 03:37 PM »
Has anyone ever gotten any BS from a guy who lives near the park telling you that you can't launch machines from there?
He told me and my buddy that it's illegal to drive wheeled vehicles on the county property. I don't understand how he could think that anyone is tearing up the lawn that is frozen solid and under a bunch of snow. He also sees what we're up to... it's only a crow flight in and out of the park to the ice.

Probably the same guy that my friend had arrested for hunter harassment a few years back.   He was saying how you couldn't duck hunt here next to the park blah blah blah.   Then came out and started shooting a rifle in the air over my friends boat.   He left in cuffs shortly after.

Offline iceperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #234 on: Jan 28, 2015, 06:18 PM »
heading down there weekend, looking to find some perch. can anyone give me some suggestions where to find them? i usually fish near the dam for gills, thought i would try for some perch this weekend.

Offline icefishermanny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #235 on: Jan 28, 2015, 06:24 PM »
thanks for the heads up on the wheeler. I did not see the sign about no motor vehicles in the park though. Saw some tracks out there from a wheeler coming from the park though. Rough drag to the resturant today though and caught two small tigers. ice was solid just not an easy drag. saw two sleds out on the ice.
icefisherman

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #236 on: Jan 28, 2015, 06:28 PM »
trapper you get lost today

I did  I  ended  up having to take care of some business  any luck i'll be there in the morning

Offline spoof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #237 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:08 PM »
Icefishermanny

I learned the hard way once.  The DEC gave me a ticket for riding w/o a helmut and riding on a public highway.  The only place you are legally allowed to ride in NY is on your own land or other property with written permission.  In Oswego County you can legally ride on roads and the extensive trail system if your a member of a club though.  I had to go to court.   :-\

Offline icefishermanny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #238 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:13 PM »
So then i should buy a sled then to get the shanty out i guess? I dont know
icefisherman

Offline spoof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #239 on: Jan 28, 2015, 08:56 PM »
I still ride on the lake and take my chances.  The local police seem to be lenient as long as your not "joy ridin'.  Same with Whitney PT.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.