New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: otisco lake bs thread  (Read 179937 times)

Offline Beastfisherman87

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: otisco lake bs thread
« Reply #150 on: Jan 21, 2015, 07:52 AM »
Where's the best place to park if I want to fish near the dam. I plan on going out there tomorrow morning

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #151 on: Jan 21, 2015, 07:59 AM »
 park right along the guard rail at the dam
I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Offline Beastfisherman87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #152 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:34 AM »
OK. Thanks

Offline XxFISHN4EYEZxX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #153 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:19 AM »
I use the sonar to attract them in, then usually drop another jig down that is tipped with bait. I got a few walleyes this winter a few weeks or so before the first ice formed in the typical night time walleye feeding areas in 10' or less.  Same spots I ice fish but never get an 'eye to take
i hear there tough to catch on hardwater. Would love to figure them out though someday

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #154 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:52 AM »
Same here. I don't know if my 5" hole would be big enough for some of the ones I catch in the fall

Offline XxFISHN4EYEZxX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #155 on: Jan 21, 2015, 11:11 AM »
Probably not some of those eyes would be a tight squeeze through 5" hole lol. do u have some kind of sonar ?

Offline RNsurfnturf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #156 on: Jan 21, 2015, 11:20 AM »
I think the walleyes hibernate....and eat every few days because theyre so fat!
Sometimes you have to fish when you can,
not when you want, but guess what?

You're still fishing!!!

Offline XxFISHN4EYEZxX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #157 on: Jan 21, 2015, 11:41 AM »
Thats a possibilty surf and turf , i would say locate them first then worry about makeing em bite.

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #158 on: Jan 21, 2015, 12:01 PM »
this one of 8 beer cans 2 propane bottles a soda bottle milk bottle ice capachino bottle 3 baggies a spike container that i picked up today on the north end...y pollute the lske we fish i watched several ice fisherman just walk by a few of the trash items..i picked it up..hopefully its no one on shanty its just as easy to carry it out as it isvto carry it in... :%$#!: :cookoo:

The polluters are so stupid they leave their bottle and can deposit money on the ice as well as mt propane bottles!  ???You can refill the propane bottles and turn in the mts for more full beer cans and pay less for it all. A fool and his money is soon parted! Common sense ain't so common!

Offline BudMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #159 on: Jan 21, 2015, 01:48 PM »
A few years ago I spent something like 5 days in a row trying to find eyes through the Ice. Went from Glencove south down the whole west side of the lake. Must have drilled 20 holes a day. Put tip ups around every point each day too while I jigged. Only fish I caught were a handful of medium perch and some rockbass. Never once had a mark that I thought was an eye. It was a very frustrating adventure.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #160 on: Jan 21, 2015, 02:41 PM »
Probably not some of those eyes would be a tight squeeze through 5" hole lol. do u have some kind of sonar ?
Yeah sorry I have a vexilar.  The sonar I was talking about is the blade bait though, sorry if I confused you.  I always use my flasher now, I have gotten so used to it I would feel lost without it.  I am sure the fish are still in the areas where I try since they are there all spring, summer and fall I think it just takes a lot to get them to mosey on over to my jig.  I tend to go big to match the bait but I could be wrong

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #161 on: Jan 21, 2015, 02:50 PM »
I  honestly  seen  3  walleyes  jigged  in one  morning  bye a  young  fellow  last  year  near the  narrows  they  were  all  decent  walleyes  too  ...I personally  never  got  one  but I target  flatties  and  run the  tip ups  for  tigers

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #162 on: Jan 21, 2015, 03:55 PM »
That's awesome.  I want to try over by lader pt but I don't know if there is any public access close to it?

Offline RNsurfnturf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #163 on: Jan 21, 2015, 04:29 PM »
Greenhornet....you would have to leave the park on the east shore with a machine to get to laders.  Thats the closest access
Sometimes you have to fish when you can,
not when you want, but guess what?

You're still fishing!!!

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #164 on: Jan 21, 2015, 04:38 PM »
That's what I figured.  Ouch that's a pretty long walk, but then again I fish Oneida a lot and there are no short walks there

Offline deadbaitjeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • can`t drink all day if udon`t start in the morning
« Reply #165 on: Jan 21, 2015, 05:05 PM »
greenhornet .... or you can park on the road near the old foot prints restraunt less walk but not as good parking,
in the 5 years of running my derby I have only seen 2 walleyes come through the ice ,they were both caught on tip ups with a medium shiner,one was caught between footprints and the park in 8'of water and the other was down by glen cove 8'-10' of water,
good luck

Offline deadbaitjeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #166 on: Jan 21, 2015, 05:20 PM »
big guy
thank you for picking up that trash  :) :),it really sucks that people leave there s........t on the ice and shore it happens in the summer to ,onieda lake is on the news for TRASHEY FISHER PEOPLE, :%$#!:

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #167 on: Jan 21, 2015, 07:03 PM »
Thanks deadbaitjeff, that saves me a lot of walking.  I actually did used to fish out from Footprints years ago and used to do really well with the browns there during late ice.  Just never was sure about the ice if I walk towards Laders Pt with that creek in the area.  A friend of mine warned me about a gas hole in the area so I never ventured too far away from my familiar territory.

Offline Biscutt02

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #168 on: Jan 22, 2015, 08:15 AM »
 :tipup:  anyone have better idea on the thickness on Otisco ?   have a couple small kids that want to go out ,  dont need them or me falling in,  thanks everyone ..

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #169 on: Jan 22, 2015, 03:54 PM »
Im curious about the ice thickness too on the main lake.  im hoping to set up for walleyes tomorrow after work if theres any daylight left out in front of the old footprints. if its solid ill go if its iffy i will wait for another day. thanks guys for any help you can give

Offline bfelins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #170 on: Jan 22, 2015, 04:41 PM »
Thank you

Offline deadbaitjeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #171 on: Jan 22, 2015, 04:51 PM »
biscutt02, greenhonet73 ,
when I was out at foot prints on sunday the ice was 4''-6''good stuff ,
at the north end (the dam)it is plenty safe for you and the kids,lots of action to keep them busy

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #172 on: Jan 23, 2015, 06:07 AM »
im gonna go and get me another pile a fish today...  ;D..been 5 times 5 limits goin 6 fer 6  i hope  :icefish:..gills anyways imma gonna find crappies todsy and perch..ill post my pics...later ;D

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #173 on: Jan 23, 2015, 06:27 AM »
i wonder how much trash ill find today i mite have to bring my garbage can on skis... ::)

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #174 on: Jan 23, 2015, 06:45 AM »
Go get 'em big guy. Mabe we'll meet up sunday? :icefish:

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #175 on: Jan 23, 2015, 07:02 AM »
im gonna try my hardest to get out i got my honeydo list already...im blowing it off todsy to get some of those things that hit my jig so tomarrowthe list will be done...unless i get fish today then i have to go tomsrrow to....then of course ...well ill have to go sunday sunday to...soooo ...there goes the honeydo list...she can do it ;D

Offline ACE

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ...id rather be FISHIN'.............
« Reply #176 on: Jan 23, 2015, 11:57 AM »
.YO  YO  YO..................be en busy as $%^& , just getting back into the "SHANTY" life.......sounds like the ice is solid and ready to go..(hell its been cold enough)  Gonna hit Oh-miss-co Lake tommorow, gonna hit the main lake....Got a new fishing partner i got to break in, his name is Tuukka(choch lab)  it took me a year to be able to get another dog after i had to put DEWEY  down last year,  Tuukka is 8mths old  75lbs  fired up young pup,,who is looking to venture out and drill some holes..........SO  the IPOD  is charging, the batteries are new, the beer is chilled and the White Russians are all poured and ready to be called into ACTION........so i plan on making the day of it,  ill be at my usually spot on Oh-MISs-Co   Lake.......stop by and say hello!!!!!   and we can crack a beer and tell "fish lies" to each other................. ..............LATER... ........

.......Old man down,way down down,down by the docks of the city
                                                                                                                             Blind and dirty,asked me for a dime, a dime for a cup of coffee
                                                                                                                             I got no dime but i got some time to hear his story
                                                                                                                             My name is AUGUST WEST, and i like my Pearly Baker best  more than my wine
                                                                                                                             More than my wine, more than my maker,  though HE'S NO FRIEND OF MINE.............
                                                                                                                                                                                              j. garcia   R.I.P
.......I wish i was a headlight on a NORTHBOUND train................(j.garcia)

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #177 on: Jan 23, 2015, 12:23 PM »
......im on my honey hole... ;D...gills perch n crappie.had rat put my transducer in his mouth funnier than hell hes been in and outta my hole 4 times....tryin to get a pic of him....

Offline icecold

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Strictly catch and eat
« Reply #178 on: Jan 23, 2015, 12:27 PM »
Did not see anyone chasing flags with any fish this morning. Jigging was just as slow and nothing like it was for the past two years. Decent fish are not the norm now.
Might be a case of supply and demand. Since I live on the north end I can tell you the demand up until late this week has been crazy
Hope the main lake fishing is better   
tip up tip down but for sure tip a few

Offline johnny b jiggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • gettin jiggy wid it
« Reply #179 on: Jan 23, 2015, 12:47 PM »
I be seeinya tomorrow morn ACE......gonna be a good time....let's ice a couple!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.