New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Re: Honeoye Lake  (Read 20683 times)

Offline steelheadman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Honeoye Lake
« on: Jan 02, 2013, 02:25 PM »
anyone heard anything on honey eye

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2013, 02:58 PM »
How many threads are you gonna ask the same question? You have 3 posts check out the reports and conditions pages.

Offline steelheadman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2013, 03:01 PM »
had no idea it just let me access that page thanks

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2013, 03:04 PM »
No problem, alot of good info there. Good luck.

Offline steelheadman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2013, 03:09 PM »
thanks 

Offline nilsuser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2013, 03:48 PM »
There's a guy in a flip over shanty out there today. As of 4:30 pm he's still out there.

Offline steelheadman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2013, 03:51 PM »
thanks

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2013, 03:53 PM »
Its probably just his shanty he is probably 10' below it that ice isn't safe

Offline nilsuser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:01 PM »
fishmaster.....lol.... .no he was moving around a lot this afternoon, within 20 feet or so. Can't say he's still on top now tho, since it's dark and I can't see him on the webcam anymore.  I wouldn't go out there yet, but it takes all kinds.

Offline beechcomber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:03 PM »
he was moving around a bit. hope he is on I.S. so he can report. I was watching him for about 45 min. no life, i know.

Offline nilsuser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:17 PM »
beechcomber.......you think you have no life?   I watched that cam most of the afternoon. What's that say about me?  I'm getting hard water fever and can't wait to get out there. Oh...and I want to come home too so I guess I'll have to wait a while.

Offline Timber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:30 PM »
B.S away gents !  :tipup:

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:39 PM »
Wheres our artistic Mod at ;D
How's the ice

Offline Timber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:44 PM »
Wheres our artistic Mod at ;D

Out shopping for a new broom he wore out his old one cleaning up the Silver Lake R an C board this morning . ;D

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:53 PM »
Reallly wish people would use the search function before starting new threads, or at least look back 2 or 3 pages.  We had quite a few multiple Honeoye  lake threads going that I just merged.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:34 PM »
  Honeoye      :icefish:
How's the ice

Offline Timber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:59 PM »
  Honeoye      :icefish:

Better yet Honeoye Lake 2013 B.S .

I have O.C.D.  ;D

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:52 AM »
can see 2 huts out on the lake on the camera, god on i wanna go so bad. this weekend cant come fast enough
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:55 AM »
maybe the thread name could be corrected. If someone does a search they're not going to put honeyeye in the search box. I mentioned this yesterday but I plan to check the ice off of Sandy Bottom at the north end after work today. May be too early but if there's shanties that far out on the south end then the north may be favoring well too. I'll be careful. Spud bar, rope, picks, floating ice suit, and lots of caution and patience.  Will report this evening on the reports and conditions thread.

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:58 AM »
would be greatly appreciated man. ive had some good trips off the north end

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2013, 12:35 PM »
maybe the thread name could be corrected. If someone does a search they're not going to put honeyeye in the search box. I mentioned this yesterday but I plan to check the ice off of Sandy Bottom at the north end after work today. May be too early but if there's shanties that far out on the south end then the north may be favoring well too. I'll be careful. Spud bar, rope, picks, floating ice suit, and lots of caution and patience.  Will report this evening on the reports and conditions thread.

In my experience, the last few years, the north end of the lake takes longer to freeze for safe ice compared to the southern part  - several gas holes scattered about as well as significant number of Canada geese that tend to keep it from freezing properly for a while.   We really need cold (single digits or below) temps for a couple of days and no wind to lock it up good and make ice.

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2013, 12:51 PM »
In my experience, the last few years, the north end of the lake takes longer to freeze for safe ice compared to the southern part  - several gas holes scattered about as well as significant number of Canada geese that tend to keep it from freezing properly for a while.   We really need cold (single digits or below) temps for a couple of days and no wind to lock it up good and make ice.
I would say you are right, its just funny cause the north end is shallower for a long ways than the south end. you have to walk a lot further to get to deeper water

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2013, 05:33 PM »
I think that is this is good info to link or bookmark on this Honeoye Lake ice conditions site.  The map below is from an ice-boating site regarding "gas holes" and one on Honeoye during a race.  They have a map for the general location of these gas holes on the north end of Honeoye Lake off of Sandy Bottom.  I have seen a couple out there in this area as have many others.  These aren't from rotting vegetation as stated on the website or from the "delta" of Honeoye Creek (as the creek is an outlet, not an inlet!) but from natural gas leaking though the bedrock/lake bottom and bubbling through the water/ice. http://lakeice.squarespace.com/gas-holes-more/

This blue area on the map is the general area to be alert for the presence of gas holes on the North end of Honeoye Lake if you fish off of Sandy Bottom. Remember this area and use caution when fishing in the area when the ice gets "safe" enough to fish on.

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:39 PM »
That's a pretty accurate map. :thumbsup:
Honeoye is flanked by tall hills.  Lots of land mass.  There is (reportedly) significant concentrations of natural gas under these hills.  It is reasonable to assume that these gas deposits find the path of least resistance and exit the ground there.  It is suspected that one of these vent areas is under the north west corner of the lake.
There has been speculation that this area is kept open by geese.  I would suggest that the geese are not the primary cause of the hole, but rather, just opportunistic inhabitants of the open water.  Personally, I can't stand geese.  I loath to give them credit for conscious thought! ::)
Anyway, the moral of this is: there is always a danger area at the north west corner of the lake.  I don't go over there until well into the season.  There are fish literally everywhere in Honeoye Lake. 
Stay Sharp, Be Safe
Grady

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:56 PM »
Hopefully after this little warm up we are going to have the north end will freeze up good cause I love fishing up there

Offline wally13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2013, 12:56 AM »
be safe and good luck fishing

Offline Deep_End

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired! I fish to live!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2013, 06:06 AM »
I have been out there in the summer on a calm day and watched the bubbles come up... the big one is in 15fow about 1/4 mile straight south of the north end beach area lake outlet... there are a couple in closer to shore along the west shore... better to stay straight south of the north launch when venturing out...

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2013, 08:44 AM »
There are fish literally everywhere in Honeoye Lake. 

I've never caught Crappie at night by lantern anywhere but the north end. Including last night at the south end. I'm partial to the north end for night fishing Crappie and the deepest water and the slopes rising from it for Perch in the day.

Offline Ronycash14225

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2013, 12:09 PM »
How thick is the ice down in the south end?

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2013, 02:10 PM »
Apparently strong enough to hold 874,359 ice shantys. It was so packed i wouldn't even fish it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.