New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Watertown Gander  (Read 1428 times)

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
Watertown Gander
« on: Dec 26, 2012, 01:25 PM »
Dont waste your time going there for ice gear. I took my boy there to us a gift card only to find the ice gear section was ribboned off. Whin i asked i was given no explanation to why or when it will  open back up 

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline crawdude

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Watertown Gander
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2012, 01:28 PM »
I saw the same thing in Cicero gander maybe doing inventory?

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2012, 01:36 PM »
I went this am to the ciciero one amd found the same issue.  They said its something with there computers and all the.prices were ringing up wrong and they hope to have it fixed soon.  I find it bery odd
A good day fishing inst complete unless it's spent with family or friends.

Offline perchslayer716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2012, 02:54 PM »
Ya the guy at the tonawanda store said that everything was ringing up $500. Quite odd

Offline Dogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2012, 03:30 PM »
Yes they are having issues with the prices... I tried to sneak some slender spoons up and they couldn't sell them to me since they rang up at .50 a piece!!! Too bad...  ;D

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2012, 05:33 PM »
Yes they are having issues

They have always had issues in their stores ;D
AW

Offline Kuyahoorakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have Ice? Will Travel...
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2012, 06:17 PM »
Was there today, and a Hali chain jig rang up $500! Also, their selection, which was great before the fire, really sucks now. Went to go buy the Marcum Showdown, and they had the soft case for it, but no electonics! What the hell! No big spools of braided dacron, either! :(

Offline perchpounder97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never give up.-Mike Iaconelli
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2012, 06:21 PM »
This year their selection is really lacking......last year not bad, this year not good. Maybe they thought this year was going to be a repeat of last year.

Offline RTXGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2012, 06:32 PM »
Was told by store staff they were focusing more on clothing and shoes because thats where the $ is at, not hunting and fishing.  This is why the Cicero store was re-arranged and the bait shop moved to the back which will only be open during regular store hours.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2012, 06:34 PM »
Was told by store staff they were focusing more on clothing and shoes because thats where the $ is at, not hunting and fishing.  This is why the Cicero store was re-arranged and the bait shop moved to the back which will only be open during regular store hours.

They should just start selling Bath Salts and Lingerie then :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
AW

Offline Ryan549

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2012, 06:35 PM »
Too bad b/c the bait shop was very convenient. They usually had some deent size pike bait too

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2012, 06:36 PM »
I wish there was a hunting fishing store local that had good prices and a selection. Gander blows

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2012, 06:41 PM »
Gander Mountain, or Gred Hill as I call it sucks big time and their prices are outragous.  I was in the Scanton store once and they had a used Ruger Blackhawk .41 Magnum sitting next to a brand new one, exact same gun.  I noticed the used one was $100 more than the brand new one so I asked why and was told, "we over paid for it and have to make our money".  Now who do they think will pay $100 more for a used gun than they can for the same gun which is brand new?   :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2012, 06:44 PM »
I use to work at the gander in Cicero for a few months while going to college worst job I ever had only reason I lasted that long was bc of the discount.

Offline Kuyahoorakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have Ice? Will Travel...
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2012, 07:06 PM »

It would be a lot easier to everyone if they changed their name to Sears...

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2012, 07:37 PM »
i  walked  out  of  the  cicero  store  twice  and  chances  are  i  won't  be  back  ....first  time  i  went to  get  black  powder  supplys  and  the  gun people  walked  right  by  me  while  i stood at  the  counter  ...second  time  i wanted  to look  at a  22  as a  gift  i  waited  40 minutes  till  i was  told i needed a  number  while  the  staff    did  nothing  but  bs  about  obama  politics  and   pushed  ar-15  look  alikes  .....  now  maybe  a  22  is  only  worth  150  bucks  but  my  grandson  would  honestly  HUNT  squirrels  with  it  istead  of  hoarding  30  round   magazines  and  rambo  movies  .....  and  don't  start  on  me   about  the  2  nd  amend  i  was  a  NRA  life  member  when  most  of  the  pups  in  here fathers  where  in lust  with there  english  teachers  ......  i  did  how  ever  announce  i  was  headed  to  dicks  or  bass  pro  ...where  i  was  treated  with  respect  ....  i know  the  staff  at  gander  read   ice  shanty  ....  you lost  a  good  custmer   i  will not  be  back  to  your  store  ......

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2012, 07:45 PM »
I won't be back after I use the gift cards I got for there.  If I could use them elsewhere I would love to know it.  I hate that place.  I have so many bad stories about there its stupid. They are rude,ignorant people.  Not all but most.  I deal with the corp office all the time for work and they are in some trouble with funds.  Poor management starts at the top

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2012, 07:46 PM »
i got a $150 gift cert to gander for xmas that i plan on using on some ice gear, the new hartford store doesnt have half the gear the ciciero store has.......i like the new hartford store and always deal with rick hes a very knowledgable fisherman and wont steer you wrong when buying new gear but as for the store they need some more gear
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline Ny Ice Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2012, 08:08 PM »
Does anyone remember K&M sporting goods in Harrisville. That was a great sporting good store so was Fays Drugs in Watertown.

I remember K&M in harrisville. i live close to it. i always stopped in before fishing. now its an antique store  :cookoo:
Wanakena Ranger School Alumni '13

"The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." --Patrick F MacManus

"Work: a dangerous disorder affecting high public functionaries who want to go fishing"-Ambrose Bierce

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2012, 08:11 PM »
I deleted a post that i partially typed and posted without realizing it. It was a rant on the suckyness of Gander

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #20 on: Dec 26, 2012, 08:13 PM »
That's why I try to support our local gun stores, baits stores etc.  They are way more apt to give you personal service. Plus your money stays in the local economy. Its win-win for everyone.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2012, 08:15 PM »
I would give them all my business if there was any close to me

Offline zadvorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gobi Dick sank my boat!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2012, 08:21 PM »
I repeated this story 100 times but...I can remember going to Dick's Sporting Goods in Vestal and Binghamton when I was a little kid.  Old men standing around smoking cigars talking about man things and all. Guns and hunting gear and all the fishing stuff you needed.  Soon soccer and hockey and the all mighty golf took up more and more space.  The items got to be made cheaper but sold for the same price.  You would have more selection to chose from as long as you never wanted for anything high end.  Funny how the same time that Dick's went nation wide the quality went out the window.  There isn't any money in hunting and fishing, not when you can sell china made underarmor nylon shirts for $50.00 when we know they cost .50c.  All the more reason to shop at the local store.  If you need something and they don't have it then it will get ordered.  We put the little guys all out of business and then complain that the big box stores don't care about what we need and don't have it and on and on.  I shop them all, big and small stores but I'm not surprised that Gander doesn't have a great selection of ice gear.
If life were easy everybody would have one.

Offline JumboWumbo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 26, 2012, 08:30 PM »
Managed to grab a pair of Ice Armour gloves, normally 34.99 for 3.49 in Watertown! I'll take that!

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
« Reply #24 on: Dec 26, 2012, 08:33 PM »
Managed to grab a pair of Ice Armour gloves, normally 34.99 for 3.49 in Watertown! I'll take that!

I hate gander but that's being scumbag,  karma is a b...h. Great first post

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #25 on: Dec 26, 2012, 08:34 PM »
That's why I try to support our local gun stores, baits stores etc.  They are way more apt to give you personal service. Plus your money stays in the local economy. Its win-win for everyone.

Agreed what I always try to do. If you support then they remember you and will hook you up the more you go.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:42 PM »
theres  no  local  gunshops  left  here

Offline fishfighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:45 PM »
I repeated this story 100 times but...I can remember going to Dick's Sporting Goods in Vestal and Binghamton when I was a little kid.  Old men standing around smoking cigars talking about man things and all. Guns and hunting gear and all the fishing stuff you needed.  Soon soccer and hockey and the all mighty golf took up more and more space.  The items got to be made cheaper but sold for the same price.  You would have more selection to chose from as long as you never wanted for anything high end.  Funny how the same time that Dick's went nation wide the quality went out the window.  There isn't any money in hunting and fishing, not when you can sell china made underarmor nylon shirts for $50.00 when we know they cost .50c.  All the more reason to shop at the local store.  If you need something and they don't have it then it will get ordered.  We put the little guys all out of business and then complain that the big box stores don't care about what we need and don't have it and on and on.  I shop them all, big and small stores but I'm not surprised that Gander doesn't have a great selection of ice gear.
I remember that Dick's in Vestal too, there was a coat rack in the middle isle, then the rest of the store was hunting and fishing stuff, whatever you needed, and the prices were good too.  Philadelphia sales had some decent fishing stuff too.  Where did they go wrong?
Mark it 8 dude

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.