New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Weird things on the ice!!!  (Read 13120 times)

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Weird things on the ice!!!
« on: Mar 01, 2009, 10:51 PM »
This year I caught my first Bullhead thru the ice at Collins (Two in one day) I also seen a Mud puppy come up thru the ice at Lock 7! Seen a Pike come up with the mono liter wrapped around its body and the hook was in the back of its head.
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Weird things on the ice!!!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2009, 07:29 AM »
had a muskrat visit me poped his head up in my hole at otisco
                                                                             trap

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2009, 08:35 AM »
had a pike all tangled and wrapped up in a fluro leader... came threw the hole tail first... great year.. SO FAR! STILL ICE OUT THERE ;D
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2009, 08:39 AM »
This year I caught my first Bullhead thru the ice at Collins (Two in one day) I also seen a Mud puppy come up thru the ice at Lock 7! Seen a Pike come up with the mono liter wrapped around its body and the hook was in the back of its head.

Bullhead start to suspend this time of year... Catch them all the time in 24 fow 5 to8 foot under the ice fishing for trout.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline dav

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • dav, no better time to wet your line.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2009, 08:50 AM »
Only weird thing I've seen on the ice was on LG    :blink:  some guy running along a pressure crack trolling    :cookoo:     :roflmao:

dav
FIND PEACE, LOSE YOURSELF IN NATURE....

Offline goinhungry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:13 AM »
Only weird thing I've seen on the ice was on LG    :blink:  some guy running along a pressure crack trolling    :cookoo:     :roflmao:

dav

now that's funny right there  :D

Offline hrlevi1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:19 AM »
I agree... that is very funny.  I wish I saw video of that... I'd never stop laughing!

DF

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:23 AM »
What was the story on the guy that went thru on the dead sea... Was it just a 3 foot deep pool on top of the two foot of ice? ???
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline jeffd7766

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:30 AM »

dav

funny you say that, last year off BB rd late ice there was a crack that was about 5-6" wide and i walked along that and hammered the perch for hours, i just kept moving along till i found some active fish, may have looked funny and actually my dad was laughing at me, but while he was catching a few, i was hammering them.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:50 AM »
We were fishing last week at a local state park,every time we got a flag and rebaited there were a few crows that would come to inspect,and if there was a minnow on the ice 1 of them would get and fly away,well the fishing slowed down and we got a little board,so I decided to try my luck at crow fishing,got a jiggin rod out attached a large shiner to it left it by the hole and walked back to where I was jiggin,10 minutes later I had my first taker,watched him grab the bait,darn he spit it out,must have seen the line,well as soon as the minnow hit the ice 1 of the other crows grabbed it and took of,now my bail is open ond the line is spooling off when I noticed that I was almost out of line,so I closed the bail and held on,well when the line tightend up I held the rod up high,the crow did about 3-360's almost crashed and didnt know what the heck happend,a few other guys seen what happend and couldnt stop laughing,1 guy had to come over to see what we were up to,and he said he had seen it all now,so if the fishin gets slow and theres crows around why not have some fun,oh by the way there was no hook on the line so the crow was not harmed just confused.it was a good day all  in all.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:55 AM »
 ;) ;D

Offline bubba ARMY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2009, 10:10 AM »
We were fishing last week at a local state park,every time we got a flag and rebaited there were a few crows that would come to inspect,and if there was a minnow on the ice 1 of them would get and fly away,well the fishing slowed down and we got a little board,so I decided to try my luck at crow fishing,got a jiggin rod out attached a large shiner to it left it by the hole and walked back to where I was jiggin,10 minutes later I had my first taker,watched him grab the bait,darn he spit it out,must have seen the line,well as soon as the minnow hit the ice 1 of the other crows grabbed it and took of,now my bail is open ond the line is spooling off when I noticed that I was almost out of line,so I closed the bail and held on,well when the line tightend up I held the rod up high,the crow did about 3-360's almost crashed and didnt know what the heck happend,a few other guys seen what happend and couldnt stop laughing,1 guy had to come over to see what we were up to,and he said he had seen it all now,so if the fishin gets slow and theres crows around why not have some fun,oh by the way there was no hook on the line so the crow was not harmed just confused.it was a good day all  in all.
    i was fishing on open water from a boat launch with 2 poles i hooked one and was releasing it when the other pole went so i set the one pole down to catch the fish my RAPALA was sitting there floating on top when a seagull came down and grabbed my lure and away he went dragged pole in he made it about 100 yards out and got tangled in line so i could see the real in the water and i snagged it and saved the pole started reeling it in and the bird was going nuts and there were kids everywhere so i just cut the line and he finally flew off

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2009, 10:33 AM »
we got gulls here in northeast pa,they follow the garbage trucks here from jersey,so iv been told,but they are all in the parking lots of grocery stores,now I got something to do while im waiting for my wife while she is shopping,might just stat a new sport here,until the tree huggers get wind of it,ever have a gull drop a crap on your windshield?not good,I think it should be open season on these birds.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2009, 10:35 AM »
You should call them what they are.....Rats with wings

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2009, 10:41 AM »
i've hooked gulls down on oswego river they fly after the bait when you cast out, i try to untangle them and release but i warn you there mean and will bite you ! i net them and hold them down  till i get the line off them then threw them in the river
                                                                                                                             trap

Offline bubba ARMY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2009, 10:47 AM »
we got gulls here in northeast pa,they follow the garbage trucks here from jersey,so iv been told,but they are all in the parking lots of grocery stores,now I got something to do while im waiting for my wife while she is shopping,might just stat a new sport here,until the tree huggers get wind of it,ever have a gull drop a crap on your windshield?not good,I think it should be open season on these birds.
TREE HUGGERS i like to tell them " Try Using Plastic Toilet Paper"

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2009, 10:47 AM »
Could catch a big salmon with a fly like that ;D

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2009, 11:11 AM »
We've been doing this on Party Fishing boats for years ........  Catch 2 trash fish (usually Bergalls) tie one on each end of a 20-30 foot piece of mono and toss both into the ocean in view of gulls.  One gull grabs each fish...then watch the fun begin.

Offline Wnyicefool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2009, 12:27 PM »
Been fishing along time. So far I have gotten two seagulls, One goose and 8 plus ducks. Last year on Dunkirk harbor at the warm water outlet we could not keep the ducks of our minnows they would dive down and grab them. None of the birds were ever hurt either. I had my daughter with me in the small boat harbor when she was 12 and the seagull kicked my ass getting it untangled.

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2009, 01:06 PM »
crooked lake '96. 4 of us fishing perch and a cute lab/shepard mix approached us coming down a hill. slowly analyzed the situation, walked over to the biggest guy in the group and lifted his leg and peed on his hummingbird then begn to fornicate on my buddy's leg as my large friend tried to run away the dog chased him around completely in love. the other three of us were dying of laughter. and hour later we were back to fishing and a gray squirrel came running right past us followed closely by a fisher cat and disappeared into the pines. Freakin bizzare day!!!!
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Offline dav

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • dav, no better time to wet your line.
« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2009, 01:19 PM »
crooked lake '96. 4 of us fishing perch and a cute lab/shepard mix approached us coming down a hill. slowly analyzed the situation, walked over to the biggest guy in the group and lifted his leg and peed on his hummingbird then begn to fornicate on my buddy's leg as my large friend tried to run away the dog chased him around completely in love. the other three of us were dying of laughter. and hour later we were back to fishing and a gray squirrel came running right past us followed closely by a fisher cat and disappeared into the pines. Freakin bizzare day!!!!

Musta been in the water they were drinking from the lake. Please tell me you didn't eat those fish. When we finally do meet again I don't want you to start humping my leg    :roflmao: Just kidding.

dav
FIND PEACE, LOSE YOURSELF IN NATURE....

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2009, 01:33 PM »
Ahhh..... Spring was in the air .... everybody and thing was in love ;D

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 02, 2009, 01:52 PM »
Had a goose coming through the creek I was bass fishing. I was using a Hula Popper and decided to see if could hook the thing sure enough I did. The goose went into the overpass under the road. Then it came out the other side and I could see it flying up near the the other side of the road and it was busy rush hour. So I cut the line so I didnt draw too much attention. Them geese put up a hell of a fight.
It'll eat.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #23 on: Mar 02, 2009, 01:57 PM »
I guess I'll look in waterfowl nests next time I need some plugs.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #24 on: Mar 02, 2009, 02:23 PM »
I drilled some holes in a shallow back water a few years back. The ice was in layers with a foot of snow over a foot of ice with 3 inches of ice on top of it all. The o2 level must have been low cause the next morning there was 10 to 50 fish in each hole. They came up thru the hole to get O2 and with all the fish swiming around, it melted a 4 to six foot circle in the snow under the 3 inches of ice and on top of the 12 inches. An Ice aquarium if you will.

It was quite a site, every species of fish in the lake all stupid from low O2. Bass, Pickerel, crappie, perch, bullhead even.

Offline pikeman3033

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 02, 2009, 02:44 PM »
I was fishing Thompsons early this season and there was a group of 4 guys near me. This little pug came out on the ice to check them out and as it was leaving it took a leak on every one of their tip ups. i was dying

JJ

« Reply #26 on: Mar 02, 2009, 02:54 PM »
Had a goose coming through the creek I was bass fishing. I was using a Hula Popper and decided to see if could hook the thing sure enough I did. The goose went into the overpass under the road. Then it came out the other side and I could see it flying up near the the other side of the road and it was busy rush hour. So I cut the line so I didnt draw too much attention. Them geese put up a hell of a fight.

Not a very sporting thing to do, geese are Federally protected. If caught you could have been fined between $5,000 and $10,000. :o

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #27 on: Mar 02, 2009, 03:01 PM »
So are crows, but I don't know about Gulls ???

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 02, 2009, 07:40 PM »
not crows...there is a season for those dirty buggers...closes the end of this month....you can only hunt em friday-monday..kinda weird but its in the reg. book.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #29 on: Mar 02, 2009, 07:51 PM »
No Joke ... Because of some treaty with Mexico they are federally protected migratory bird. When I a kid there wasn't a season....we couldn't understand why any one wanted to protect crows ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.