Author Topic: Blackstrap 2018/19  (Read 56923 times)

Offline Nitros99

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Blackstrap 2018/19
« Reply #90 on: Dec 14, 2018, 02:55 PM »
So guys am i to assume that you guys are driving on right now. Want to head out tomorrow morning and would love to not have to walk on.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Dec 14, 2018, 05:21 PM »
Hi Chezboy welcome to the forum!
I’m not familiar with blackstrap as I don’t fish it but I’ll be happy to share a few tips I’ve learned, sometimes the hard way...haha.

I’ll start with equipment. I always tune up and start my gas auger before I head out fishing. If I had a dollar for every time I watched people pull onto the ice and then attempt to start their auger to no avail I’d be a very wealthy man. Make sure the auger is running smoothly before you head out and be sure to add some gas line antifreeze to very tank and always use fresh fuel. Often times that’s all that’s needed to avoid major headaches.
Always make sure you have at least one ice scoop as well. Emptying out slush from holes with bare hands isn’t ideal. I’ve done it more than a few times but it’s never been an enjoyable experience...haha.
As for fishing, always, always always carry hook removal pliers and cutters with you. Bring hook removal tools, cameras and tape measures with you to the hole every time if you plan on releasing the fish. You stand a much better chance of releasing a healthy fish if you can remove the hooks in a timely manner. In cold weather it only takes seconds for their eyes to freeze over and when that happens the fish will not survive. If you have a fish you want to release that’s swallowed hooks deeply then keep the fish’s entire body in the hole while you work on removing the hooks. Dunk the fish’s gills and eyes every few seconds into the water while working on removing hooks.  I also pinch all my barbs on my lures for better releasing fish.

Once the hooks are out, get the cameras ready while the fish is still in the ice holeabd in the water and when everything is ready to go, bring the fish out of the hole and hold it for a quick pic then get it back into the water ASAP. One large female can carry up to 30,000 eggs so releasing the big fish is very important to keeping our lakes healthy. Get a quick measurement and photo and release the big females.

As for fishing etiquette, I never set up beside someone if they are away from the crowds. They are out there for a reason, they obviously want a peaceful day on the lake away from others so I always respect that and give them their space. Lots of water to fish out there on any lake. No need to set up on top of guys.

Keep your hooks sharp, double check all your gear especially your auger, and most of all have fun! It’s a great way to spend a winter day outside! Good luck!

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #92 on: Dec 14, 2018, 06:24 PM »
Welcome Chezboy,

Everything farmboy and others have mentioned is on the money!  This forum is a wealth of information. Over the years, I have spent countless hours reading and learning. If you have a buddy that ice fishes, they too can be a great mentor and also help you out while your re-learning the ropes. The days of dropping one line and sitting all day are over. People these days run and gun, actively searching for fish. Don’t be afraid to move or pop more holes if they are not biting. If you find them and they still won’t bite, try downsizing your presentation.  You’ll find the sport to be addicting once you start catching...not to mention going back to catch the one that got away!  Don’t be afraid to ask questions, there are a lot of great fishermen and women here on the forum. Best of luck and tight lines  :tipup:

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #93 on: Dec 14, 2018, 07:42 PM »
Well another great day on the Strap.  This was my 10 time out this year, and the two of us had the best day so far this year, number wise and size wise.  The ice is a good 14 inches, we drove all over today.  Using the North boat launch to get on.  I would still avoid the South boat launch.

We fished South of Evans road and North of the road.  Tried 2 or 3 new areas with not much action, but our 2 honey spots were steady action.

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Dec 15, 2018, 09:59 AM »
Churchill.. Those perch are awesome..!! I gotta as what the longest measurement was..!

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Dec 15, 2018, 01:55 PM »
The perch gods smiled this morning. We rolled the dice and drilled into the middle of the lake hoping to find a few like Churchill River got into. After a slow start the bite picked up around mid morning. Plenty caught and released, but the highlight was a half dozen between 12 and 13 inches.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #96 on: Dec 15, 2018, 02:25 PM »
Nice job Speck.  Evan, we had 2 that were 13 1/2 and 5 that were over 12.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #97 on: Dec 15, 2018, 02:31 PM »
Now for the sad part.....there is going to be pictures on here were the front end of a truck went through the ice.  No, not on the ice that is a good 14 inches.  This fellow drove by the rock pile in front of the back bay at Blackrock.  I thought everyone knew to stay away from that area.  Same thing happened last year, and years before that.

I guess I will post the picture.  The front end is probably sitting on the rocks

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Dec 15, 2018, 02:43 PM »
Where is this on the lake? I have no idea where blackrock is or the rock pile..

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Dec 15, 2018, 02:47 PM »
also Churchill ive tried to reply to your pm a few times not sure if theres an issue there with your messenger or mine.

gman51

« Reply #100 on: Dec 15, 2018, 02:54 PM »
Now you went and done it Churchill... lol

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Dec 15, 2018, 03:14 PM »
ha..! I don't want to track down where he was catching those jumbo's..! I just wanted to ask where Black rock is..

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #102 on: Dec 15, 2018, 03:34 PM »
Evan, mine is working.  I will send you one shortly to see if you get yours.

We are talking about the big bay across from the very South end of Shields on the East Shoreline.  There is a housing development and golf course going up, and it is called Blackrock.  Some people just call it the big bay.  The yacht club is down the East shoreline a good mile, if you know were that is.  And then from the yacht club is the big lodge building (not sure what it is called now).........And Now Evan....you know.

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Dec 15, 2018, 03:47 PM »
Thank you.. my questions are complete...

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #104 on: Dec 15, 2018, 04:53 PM »
Come on Evan.....I know your dying to know were I caught them...........85% through the top lip, and 15% on the side of their mouths :) :)

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Dec 15, 2018, 05:28 PM »
Hahaha nice one.. ! Thats funny

Offline bullwinkle97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #106 on: Dec 16, 2018, 01:16 PM »
Just curious what guys have been using. I have been jigging rattle spoons and jiggin raps of all sizes and have had some good luck, but also have alot of fish marking on the flasher but not committing to it. I've tried to change sizes and colours and presentation. Any suggestions? Mostly been targeting perch.

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Dec 16, 2018, 03:34 PM »
Typically if fish are not committing then go to smaller hooks. Had a good morning with Rip and afriend of his. Beautiful day on the lake.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Dec 16, 2018, 04:08 PM »
So far this year, our best producers have been silver and green spoons like the Deadly Dick, and the Slab Grabber spoon in silver. As for bait, perch eyes, and small minnows have worked as well as maggots. That being said, one of the biggest perch so far bit on an artificial red grub. I don't know about a magic bullet. It seems that finding aggressive fish is the key.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #109 on: Dec 16, 2018, 08:09 PM »
A great day today......and not much wind was a bonus.  4 of us fished 3 different areas and did real good in all of them.

Speck, I was going to ask you about the jumbos you caught the other day.  Did they have my brand on them (CR).  You now rustling
is still a offence.  But I did notice my gate was open for awhile so some off them might of gotten out.  So I won't call the fish cops.

I didn't take any pictures today, maybe one of my fishing partners today might post a pic as they did take some pic's. 

Again, not one walleye.  And we fished areas were we always caught a few walleye along with the perch.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #110 on: Dec 16, 2018, 09:39 PM »
Hey CR,

Cut a guy some slack! Do you know how cold I got hiding up in the hills under camouflage with my spotting scope? You move around the ice so much I could barely keep you in focus. I need to invest in a drone.

I swear I didn't open the gate, but I may have been fishing just on the other side of the fence. There must be a break somewhere because 85% of the ones we caught had hook wounds in the upper lip.

Offline Phunkmasta429

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #111 on: Dec 16, 2018, 09:51 PM »
Very nice!

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #112 on: Dec 16, 2018, 09:56 PM »
LOL....good reply Speck. 

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #113 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:56 AM »
Speck......I did decide to talk to the fish cops, and they said I wouldn't have much of a case, as they wouldn't go through your sewage system to collect the evidence. 

But, all kidding aside, yourself and any fellow followers on this site are welcome to fish on either side of the fence with me.

Offline Piggyperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #114 on: Dec 17, 2018, 02:57 PM »
Hey everybody. I’ve been following you conversations and have picked up a few tips but I can’t seem to find the steady perch bite on blackstrap. Last year we stayed mostly on the north end. This year I’ve only been out once and found in about 24 fow it’s fairly slow, once I got out to about 30 fow the bite picked up but still wasn’t what dreams are made of. We were just south of Evans road. I don’t want anybody to just give me your honey hole but I do want to bring my little guy out this year and make sure he catches fish so he gets hooked at young age. I just want him to want come back and learn how to respect our great sask fisheries. Any help would be great, I do not have a camera or sonar or even know the lake that well so I’m already at a great disadvantage. Thanks guys

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #115 on: Dec 17, 2018, 04:10 PM »
Hi piggy. It is very tough without some sort of sonar as sometimes the bite is so light that you cant even feel it. Drill lots of holes and keep moving fish swim around and you need to move with them to stay on top of them. That being said the guy fishing 10 feet away from you may have found a hole and just because he is catching doesnt mean you will. You could have the same bait and presentation even. Thats why it is called fishing and not catching. Lol.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #116 on: Dec 17, 2018, 06:55 PM »
I can't agree with owning a camera or flasher to be able to catch perch.  There are people on this site that will tell you I catch more fish then people
with sonar/camera.  I don't use any sonar/camera.  I guess it all depends if a fishermen needs an advantage over the fish.  I would say that 80% of
people fishing out on the Strap have sonar/cameras.

Offline Piggyperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #117 on: Dec 17, 2018, 08:49 PM »
Ya deringer, I definitely need to be pounding more holes and that light bite is really light but with the right gear I’ll find em. I agree with Churchill on the sonar and that it’s not needed to get on a school but when you don’t know the lake a sonar can speed up the investigation especially if your bringing little kids. Good luck out there guys and I hope to be posting pics after the weekend

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #118 on: Dec 17, 2018, 10:05 PM »
Piggy, check your messages.  Also, can you only fish on the weekends?

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #119 on: Dec 18, 2018, 08:35 AM »
Guys i didnt say it wasnt possible i said it was tougher lol.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.