Author Topic: Rods for Whitefish  (Read 14472 times)

Offline stratosboats

• IceShanty Rookie
Rods for Whitefish
« on: Feb 15, 2010, 10:52 AM »
What do you guys use for rods when whitefishing?  I've gone out a few times and are having trouble feeling the fish bite.  Do you use spring bobbers?

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Rods for Whitefish
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2010, 01:18 PM »
I have not tried a spring bobber.  I use a medium action rod and keep a close watch on the vex.  When they chase the lure up if you keep a slight tension on the lure you can feel when the rod loads up with a bite and usually hook them.  They can be really frustrating some days.  Lots of chasing with no real biting going on.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2010, 08:48 AM »
I use a light/medium rod that will show the slightest tick when the fish hit.

If I am fishing deep, ( deeper than 20') I use a 28 inch medium rod.
I use fireline crystal ice for fishing line, then a barrel swivel and about a 18" leader of 10 lb mono.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline xXICEFISHXx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2010, 02:40 PM »
I use a Berkly Hot Ice rod. It is cheap(20 bucks) but it is very sensitive and comes with a reel. There is two types a heavyer one with four rings and a lighter one with three rings. If I am using small jigs I use the light one(2-4 puond I think it says) and if I am using bigger spoons or jigs I use the heavyer one with four rings(4-6 pound I think).

Offline pannyjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2011, 04:34 PM »
The rod that worked the best on our recent trip was a Jason Mitchell perch rod (medium-light).  I had a wire-type spring bobber on it and it made it quite a bit easier to notice the bite.  I know other factors can be involved, but of the three of us fishing, the other two people without spring bobbers each caught two fish and I caught 21.

pannyjigger.

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2011, 03:58 PM »
Whitefish can certainly be buggers to feel on the line and then somedays they hit like trout!!

I found what worked best for me was using small sponge bobbers...  As soon as that bobber goes below the surface it's game on.. Of course this is only when I am fishing them straight on bottom in 30'

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2011, 05:21 PM »
I asked a couple of guides up in Door County what they use and these are what they use. 28" Medium Action Frabill Bro Series, 28" Deadstick Frabill Bro Series, and 38" Medium Action Frabill Ice Hunter.

Offline Crawfordk86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2018, 10:28 PM »
I really like useing a light action rod with 4-5 lb fluorocarbon line, a spring bobber really helps, especially with the light bites, and a micro jig with a tiny chunk of night crawler or pinhead tail

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.