Author Topic: Are perch line shy?  (Read 4374 times)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
Are perch line shy?
« on: Jan 01, 2005, 10:23 PM »
Well, last monday I was slaying the perch up at crawford. I myself got over 50. I also was getting pike that would hit what I was using. (shrimpo tipped w/ waxworm) I had 2 lb. test spooled. I caught 1 pike, and broke off 4. I am going there tomorrow and decided to spool with a bit heavier of a setup, 6 lb. test. (so pike wouldn't break me off as easily) I am in an emergency now wondering if this is a good idea or not. In your guys' experience, are perch line shy? because if they are I got a spool of 2 lb. test as well...
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Are perch line shy?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2005, 11:38 PM »
I think they can be if they're not turned on. Know that by using 2lb or less that I catch 2 - 3 times more fish than when using 4lb but don't have hardly any trouble with pike in my area. Have good numbers of pike around just don't have them in the way for some reason.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2005, 03:55 PM »
bigger lakes like the great lakes  or champlain lake in NYs the prech for the moist part arnt line shy since most of the fish u are cathcing have never seen a fishing lure before   when i first started icefishing 5-6 yrs ago  on Champlain i usta use 20lb test on a wooden stick that didnt bend at all

so what im saying smaller lakes with heavy pressure  perch will be line shy but larger lakes most likely not
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Fishmon

« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2005, 12:11 PM »
Try the flourocarbon line ( or tie a 3 foot leader of flourocarbon on your line) if you are worried about fish being line shy.  When perch are really hitting, I don't think they care what you are using.  When they are finicky and feeding on small larvae, fresh water shrimp, etc., go with light line and small jigs or ice flies that mimic the larvae or shrimp.  Use a spring bobber to help detect bites.  Some of the biggest perch I have caught were barely detectable on 3# test line 20-25 feet under the ice. The spring bobber dropped about a 1/4 inch and a 15 inch perch was on the other end.  Experiment and you will find something that works for you.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2005, 05:28 PM »
Well, the perch didn't seem to mind the 6 lb. test. I caught nearly 80 perch. A pike still bit off my spoon though :P, but I landed a pike on it as well. I also had a couple huge fish (don't know what species) get away and not snap. I think the 6 lb. test worked just fine for these perch, and they have been hammered this year, the ice on that lake looks like honeycomb!
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline PeRcHsLaYeR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I LOVE PERCH!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2005, 09:19 AM »
i havent noticed i always use 2lb test cause with any heavier i would be waiting an hour for my light little jigs to get 2 the bottom.
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2005, 04:59 PM »
 Not only does it take longer to get to the bottom with smaller jigs with light line but it gives the jig more action.
Jason

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2005, 04:31 PM »
I stick to 4lb flouro as the walleyes like to show up on my lake and I hate losing fish or getting bit off.
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2005, 04:12 PM »
Perch don't seem to be line shy. I have caught them on tip ups with 30# braided nylon icefishing line, and on a jigstick with the same line.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2005, 11:04 AM »
I regularly use 20# fireline attached to a small swedish pimple, and the only problem is that it takes a while to get down to depth.  Other than that, I haven't seen biting problems, and my perch catch doesn't seem lower than others.  Besides, if they were really line-shy, why wouldn't the chain on a hali-jig spook every perch?  It's bigger than any line I've ever used.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.