Author Topic: Daytime/Midday walleye tactics  (Read 5687 times)

Offline sisabdulax

• IceShanty Rookie
Daytime/Midday walleye tactics
« on: Jan 16, 2015, 09:54 AM »
Hey all,

I have had some luck with walleye thru the ice, but it always seems to come as sun ducks behind mountains. The local lake we fish  it rocky and shelfy. with mud bays. Depths can go up to 60' depending on water levels. I have had luck fishing fishing a point. but nothing during day. I use both jigs and tip ups. I have read other posts on different presentations and looking to try those. As far and features and structure anything special I should be looking for?

Thanks
Mike
Lord, may I catch a fish so big, when telling of it afterwards I need not lie...

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
Re: Daytime/Midday walleye tactics
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2015, 01:34 PM »
try deeper mid day....fish will go to a resting spot during the day but you may have to make your presentation smaller and jig lighter

Offline sisabdulax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2015, 01:52 PM »
I am without a fish finder so far, on the list. How deep would you think as a starting point?
Lord, may I catch a fish so big, when telling of it afterwards I need not lie...

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2015, 04:10 PM »
Look for creek channels or river channels, these are the highways of most reservoirs. The walleye move a little deeper and cruise. Also drill out large flats next tot he channels deep and shallow and jig for a few minutes in each hole until you locate fish. When you do find them you can stay on top until the move off.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline sisabdulax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2015, 01:23 PM »
Thanks again guys. I will give it a try this weekend.

Offline OBIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2015, 03:44 PM »
Yeah try the deeper and try smaller minnows, usually during midday they aren't looking for a massive meal, maybe just a snack. So if your presentation is right for their slim mid day appetites you could end up with a few.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2015, 01:44 PM »
I jig deep water humps or bars during the day. I love jigging Raps and  Swedish pimples with whole emerald shiners. Tap, Tap, Tap...raise, drop back slowly.

Offline sisabdulax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2015, 01:52 PM »
Awesome Thanks. I am amazed the tap tap tap raise lower has been my only success jigging in past, but always end of day. I downloaded a topo of the lake to find creek channel we weren't to far off in past. Will try this weekend hope to report back with good news.

Mike

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2015, 11:46 PM »
I actually have the best luck on the Saginaw river mid-day! everyone thinks it's early and late, which is true most of the time.

I fish the deepest spots and use very small baits and jigs. most of my keepers come between noon - 3 pm. it's fun to get a few keepers as the morning shift has left and the evening shift has not yet arrived  ;D
I toad a soo!

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2015, 11:51 PM »
I actually have the best luck on the Saginaw river mid-day! everyone thinks it's early and late, which is true most of the time.

I fish the deepest spots and use very small baits and jigs. most of my keepers come between noon - 3 pm. it's fun to get a few keepers as the morning shift has left and the evening shift has not yet arrived  ;D

I will share this one tip, and many if all will not know this. but my lure of choice is not a jigging rap or pimple mid-day. it's a gitzit dying shad. works all the time! good luck, and I know I just made the people who saw this post more productive.
I toad a soo!

Offline sisabdulax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2015, 01:25 PM »
I will give this a try!!! Been getting into perch now so I hope I am getting closer!!!

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2015, 08:50 PM »
How  would  a  gitzit  shad   outfish  a   real  shiner?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.