Author Topic: Jigs for eyes  (Read 3985 times)

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Jigs for eyes
« on: Dec 11, 2014, 12:07 PM »
In the spring time we use jigs for walleye with mr twister tails as I am sure most you do as well as this is a common way to catch em. My question to you is how effective if at all are they through the ice? I figured thumping the bottom might be a good way to attract them in as you do with lake trout but i have yet to try it.
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
Re: Jigs for eyes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2014, 01:56 PM »
yes.jigs work.
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2014, 04:38 AM »
They work very well as long as they are chartreuse  ;D

WS

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2014, 05:49 AM »
thanks guys ill give it a try in a couple weeks when i go out. do you like to tip they or just use with different plastic grubs?

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2014, 11:22 AM »
I like to tip them with a fathead or a rainbow, hooked through the bung.

WS

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2014, 11:30 AM »
thanks WS!

i just bought some chartreuse blades and beads to add to a couple tip ups to see if it adds attraction at all too. anyone do this?

Offline SD Fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2014, 11:58 AM »
I prefer to go with 1-3 beads and a hook. No blades on my tip ups.

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2014, 12:36 PM »
I prefer to go with 1-3 beads and a hook. No blades on my tip ups.

awesome do you like putting them right above the hook or above the split shot? sorry for all of the quesions guys just trying to think of different ways to target them that may be productive. I travel a good distance to fish for em and only get a few trips a year for em. thanks for all the input

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2014, 02:46 PM »
I've used glow beads on tip up leaders right above the hook with success fishing for eyes.  I've also caught eyes jigging with a 3/8oz PK flutter fish in red dot glow.  Never used blades for eyes, but have had success on pike with them. 

Using fatheads where you are fishing will get you plenty of flags, but not likely the species you are after.

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:13 AM »
yeah i have only jigged a few times for eyes through the ice with no success I tried rattle traps and blades with no luck. I have a number of PK lures maybe ill give them another shot? I have a small jiggin rap i may try and also some jigs with mr twister tails.

I tied up my traps last night i put  two beads and a single chartreuse blade about the split shot and on another trap three chartreuse beads above the hook so hopefully I will have something to report back good bad or indifferent with the different set ups. the other traps are set up the same as usual.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Yes try your spoons and jigging rap, those are my two favorite styles of lure.  I'm not a big fan of the jig and twister tail for ice fishing.   Spoons flutter out to the sides on the drop, raps dart around or swim big circles depending on how you fish them, but a jig just goes straight up and down.  I'm sure you can catch fish on them, but they are probably not your best choice.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2014, 12:28 AM »
There are not to many situations where a jig wont catch walleye. I usually tip my jigs with a minnow, or minnow head, when the bite is really slow. I like to use a bit more aggressive lures like walleye flyers, rattle spoons or chubby/lindy darters most of the time, but when the bite gets really slow, I will always have a jig on at least one line.

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:00 AM »
awesome thank you for the input guys, i cant wait to get on the ice for them. the lake i fish is a 2.5hr drive from home so its a long haul and i hope to ice walleye when i go there, but as you guys know some times it can be very slow hopefully i will have a few pics to post. have you noticed anything in specific to target the larger eyes? there are big ones in htis body of water but alot of smaller ones and yellow perch to weed through as well.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2014, 02:26 PM »
We were fishing tip ups with about 5 inch sucker minnows last night my daughter started jigging for panfish, a crappie size tear drop jig with 2 waxies on it she caught a 19 inch walleye, nice fight on 2 lb test line. We did catch 3 walleyes on tip ups also. So yes jigs work and sometimes small ones.

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2014, 02:55 PM »
We were fishing tip ups with about 5 inch sucker minnows last night my daughter started jigging for panfish, a crappie size tear drop jig with 2 waxies on it she caught a 19 inch walleye, nice fight on 2 lb test line. We did catch 3 walleyes on tip ups also. So yes jigs work and sometimes small ones.

that must have been a blast

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2015, 05:39 PM »
Just a number 9 jigging Rapala black and gold.. not tipped with anything

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2015, 06:02 AM »
ended up picking up a 23" eye on a jig head with a crawler on my second drop. was a great start to the day but the only one jigging. i tried a number of differnt PK's and the jig and could not repeat but we did pick up 9 more on traps

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2015, 08:27 PM »
Lindy darter tipped with a minnow head on the tail hook. This is my most productive setup.

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2015, 09:16 AM »
Lindy darter tipped with a minnow head on the tail hook. This is my most productive setup.

nice man ill have to give it a try, i used the darters bare with nothing but small yellows maybe with it tipped it will produce for me here

Offline DanDANthefisherman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live to fish
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:01 PM »
Try a Northland Bro's Bloodworm jig. Might have to weed through some perch, but if the perch leave, get ready!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.