Author Topic: Walleye/Pike Leader Combo  (Read 2243 times)

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
Walleye/Pike Leader Combo
« on: Feb 12, 2014, 08:34 AM »
Next weekend I am entering a statewide derby, and thinking of targeting Pike during the day and walleye at night.  I am thinking of fishing lake Champlain, which you are allowed 15 lines per person.  I am toying with the idea of using one leader/hook combination to target both. 

The combo I have come up with is 20lb Seaguar Premier with a Gamakatsu inline octopus circle, and a couple glow beads.  I have some #2's, but they are equivalent to a 1/0 J hook, which maybe a little big for eyes?  I feel that they would be.  I was thinking of getting some #4's, which would equal a #2 J hook, and might be a good compromise to cover both species.  With this scenario, during the day I can run whatever depths I want for the pike, and right before dark I can simply drop them all to 0-3ft off the bottom and be good to go.

I have enough tip ups to run 15 pike setups, and switch them out with 15 walleye setups, but that would be a PIA.  I could run 50/50 and just switch out the pike half before dark as well I guess. I usually run 10 or 12 pound with #6's for walleye, but I just cant bring myself to use it targeting pike.  I have caught pike with it before, but it makes me feel vulnerable and less confident then using a heavier line.  I have had pike open up the gap of the #6 hooks too.

Thoughts?  What would you guys do?

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
Re: Walleye/Pike Leader Combo
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2014, 07:05 PM »
Have you considered 10-12lb braid and call it good for both?  Lots of walleye are taken using tip ups with braid for leaders.  If you are fishing southern Champlain, chances are its going to be dirty water so even less chance it will effect the walleye bite.  Goodluck, let us know what you come up with. 

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2014, 07:17 AM »
Have you considered 10-12lb braid and call it good for both?  Lots of walleye are taken using tip ups with braid for leaders.  If you are fishing southern Champlain, chances are its going to be dirty water so even less chance it will effect the walleye bite.  Goodluck, let us know what you come up with.

I thought of using some power pro.  Run it on all of my jig sticks.  I have had several experiences with pike bite offs using 50lb pound braid, when I was experimenting with different leader material a couple years ago.  I wouldn't be concerned with bite offs from walleyes with it though.

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2014, 01:29 PM »
Damn! You had pike bite off 50lb braid?!?! Must have been some nasty Northerns.  When using circle hooks aren't most hook ups in the corner of the mouth?  Ive never used them.  If that's the case Id think smaller braid would be perfect for what you want to do. 

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2014, 03:20 PM »
Damn! You had pike bite off 50lb braid?!?! Must have been some nasty Northerns.  When using circle hooks aren't most hook ups in the corner of the mouth?  Ive never used them.  If that's the case Id think smaller braid would be perfect for what you want to do.

I get majority of the hook sets in the corner, but not all with circles.  Obviously if the hook is in the corner of the mouth, their teeth can't get at the line.  I would assume some that bit it off didn't land in the corner of the mouth, but I specifically remember a couple times the line was cut on the hook set.  I like braid for a lot of things but not as a pike leader. 

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:04 PM »
what size bait you plan on using, using same for both, granted your running 15 sets (sweet) but takes seconds to retie a new leader, and are you using live or dead 

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:55 PM »
what size bait you plan on using, using same for both, granted your running 15 sets (sweet) but takes seconds to retie a new leader, and are you using live or dead

4 to 6 inch live shiners for both.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.