Author Topic: Perch or Minnows for Walleye?  (Read 1793 times)

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
Perch or Minnows for Walleye?
« on: Jan 19, 2014, 02:54 PM »
last night we did a little experimenting with bait on tip ups.  We had two tip ups around 30 feet apart on a channel that leads into a weedbed.  One had a heavy/medium shiner and the other had a 4" Perch, it was around 6:30pm and we had a flag.  Got over there and it was the shiner that had been taken, pulled in a nice 25.5" Male Walleye.  As we are taking pics and resetting that line we look to the tip up with the Perch and its up.  That line yields a nice fat 21.5" hen Walleye.  So where its legal to use perch for bait who prefers to use them or do you mix it up with half and half?  Forgot to mention that this body of water is full of small Perch and is the primary forage for the Walleye. 

Offline husb0023

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Punching Holes in Wisconsin Since 1986
Re: Perch or Minnows for Walleye?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2014, 12:50 PM »
I think walleye will always key up on shiners no matter what they are normally eating.  Sometimes I will catch a few dink perch and throw them on the line but my hypothesis is that they swim much harder than a shiner when they are under the tip-up.  If the walleye takes a couple swats at them and misses it will probably just move on.

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Perch or Minnows for Walleye?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2014, 04:01 PM »
In tough to fish metro Denver waters(reservoirs), minnows whole and swimming on a hook or jig rarely get bit for some dumb reason. I've fished with shiners or minnows  on many occasions rigged different ways next to a jiggin rap with just a head on the bottom treble and the jiggin rap always wins. Walleye are very finicky here in comparison to WI & MN though.
Selective harvest works!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.