Author Topic: Perch eyes  (Read 9262 times)

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
Perch eyes
« on: Jan 20, 2015, 02:32 PM »
I've heard of people taking the eyes of perch they are keeping and putting them on a jig/spoon, has anyone ever tried that? Does it work?

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
Re: Perch eyes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2015, 02:41 PM »
I do that all the time and it works great. I have a tool for popping out the eyeball of the fish I plan to keep and then we use the eyeballs on jigs, Swedish pimples, and buckshot lures.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2015, 02:43 PM »
Thank you FrostBack! I'm definitely going to give it a shot this weekend.

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2015, 07:54 PM »
Finally found my tool for taking out perch eyes.  Given to me by a fellow angler.

Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2015, 07:58 PM »
I made it out of a 3" chunk of aluminum hunting arrow and an old water tap handle.

I sharpened/shaped the one end of the arrow and then hot glued the other end into the tap handle....simple design and works great.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline IrishnId

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2015, 09:46 PM »
Headed out to the garage to make one of those right now FrostBack! What an awesome idea!

Offline Hellraiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2015, 11:19 AM »
so i got a question. do you guys keep all the eyeballs and freeze them and save them for the next adventure.  I keep the eggs of rainbows brown and such and freeze them for later on. just wondering so while im filleting them if i should take a few extra seconds and collect a few

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2015, 03:34 PM »
so i got a question. do you guys keep all the eyeballs and freeze them and save them for the next adventure.  I keep the eggs of rainbows brown and such and freeze them for later on. just wondering so while im filleting them if i should take a few extra seconds and collect a few

I have just started to do this exact thing...I currently have a small pill bottle in the freezer with about 1/2 dozen eyeballs in it waiting for my next trip to the lake.

Headed out to the garage to make one of those right now FrostBack! What an awesome idea!

Glad I am able to help Irishnld....hope it works out for you!

Offline stimpyNEK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2015, 03:52 PM »
catch perch all the time on eyes...use a maggot to start then switch right to eyes
Its T shirt weather until you can actually die of hypothermia

Offline optimus140

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:21 PM »
I haven't used a tool before. I kill the perch first, then I stick my thumb in their mouth and press up and out from behind their eye, then the eye bulges out and you can pop it out with a finger.you could keep some in an old pill bottle or the like, cover with a little water and freeze to use for next time.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2015, 02:07 PM »
Does it make a difference if they are frozen? Or do people put them in their mouth to keep them warm just to gross other people out?

Offline optimus140

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2015, 08:14 PM »
Or do people put them in their mouth to keep them warm just to gross other people out?
While I don't think you could use them frozen solid, nobody actually does that.

If you're worried about them being frozen by the time you're ready to use them, maybe put them in the fridge the day before so they can thaw out.

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2015, 08:49 AM »
Walleye are the primary target in the lake I fish while perch are typically few and far between but good size. Half salties (frozen shiners) are my preferred bait. Once I do land a keeper perch then I remove the eyes and start using them on one of my two lines.

My tool for removing perch eyes, made from a paper clip and wood dowel ...

Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline themooser98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2015, 12:58 PM »
  Perch eyes have been the way to go this year so far, start out with spikes or a small piece of white plastic and then switch to eyes. Have the little scoop tool in tackle box but usually take hook and stick it in one side of the eye and out the other side and rip/pull the eye out, works 99% of the time.
Ya shoulda bin here yesterday!!!!!

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2015, 03:12 AM »
I've heard of people taking the eyes of perch they are keeping and putting them on a jig/spoon, has anyone ever tried that? Does it work?

Yes, Yes and Yes

J-

Offline dstaples002

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2015, 02:52 PM »
Some days the eyes work great and other days they don't. You can also try the fake eye's on a jig. I think gulp sells them I cant remember.

Offline bigcountry315

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2015, 09:57 AM »
yes it does and if you get a good school it is and endless supply of bate, not the easiest to get out of the head but its worth it 

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2015, 10:16 AM »
Some days the eyes work great and other days they don't. You can also try the fake eye's on a jig. I think gulp sells them I cant remember.

Northland makes them. Friend has been slaying the jumbos with them this year.

Offline higbee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2015, 07:49 PM »
We use them in summer when perch fishing. Saves putting a shiner on everytime as eyes stay on hook very well. I will have to try it on the ice. Thanks. :)

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #19 on: Oct 28, 2015, 07:13 AM »
when I was a kid we used eyes for bait and did good every time out, I would eye up the two rods I used before quitting for the day so I had "bait" for the next time I went fishing. They were hard as rocks the next time out but would soften up when they hit the water, then get a fresh one from the first catch.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 02, 2015, 10:22 AM »
absolutely nothing better than perch eyes. personally, i just use a small pocket knife to pop the eyes

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 02, 2015, 05:18 PM »
Perch eyes work very well, I simply use my thumb when I pull one up and it's going into the bucket. Seems I never misplace my thumbs although they do get in the way a lot! Even once showed a 5 year old how easy it is to take an "eye" for bait, he thought it was so cool I had to save the eyesight of a few dozen perch afterwards!  ;D

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2016, 06:26 AM »
Do I even have to say it?
The tug is the drug.

Offline Bman83

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2016, 09:35 PM »
i find that using perch eyes works well

Offline Dunn13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 16, 2016, 09:30 PM »
I tried perch eyes last time out and had good success with them. I was able to catch 3-4 fish before the eye was too torn up to use again. Is there any way special to hook them, or are you only able to catch a few fish with them before they are unusable? Durability was similar to a wax worm for me.

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 16, 2016, 09:50 PM »
I tried perch eyes last time out and had good success with them. I was able to catch 3-4 fish before the eye was too torn up to use again. Is there any way special to hook them, or are you only able to catch a few fish with them before they are unusable? Durability was similar to a wax worm for me.

Dunn:

I don't think there is a special way to put a perch eye on a hook.  I hook them on so the point of the hook to protruding from the eye.  It seems they are usually good for several fish before they get way too "ratty" looking; but sometimes they get shredded up and they still catch fish fine.

I have found perch eyes to be a little more durable than a wax worm.  I usually don't try to preserve perch eyes, I take a few wax worms out on the ice and use one of two to catch 2-3 perch and then just use eyes after that.

ClearCreek

Offline varmonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 28, 2016, 03:18 PM »
I. Find there is an optimum time to extract the eye.
If you wait awhile for the fish to freeze.but not
Quite frozen solid.the eye comes out an goes
On the hook easily..just have to do trial and error
Til you find that sweet spot.

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 03, 2016, 04:46 PM »
 paper clip works good to remove the eyes cheap and easy to replace and they work great

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.