Author Topic: 4 day trip, sled through ice at louise. be careful  (Read 1934 times)

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
4 day trip, sled through ice at louise. be careful
« on: Jan 09, 2010, 12:52 PM »
Headed out monday for four days at louise and crosswinds gonna stay in the hardsides cant wait. -16 this morning up there gonna be nice. Also a buddy who is up there now put his sled through or a reef in the middle of the lake only 18" of water but still pay attention out there will fill all in when we get back..If I decide to come back...

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 4 day trip, sled through ice at louise. be careful
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2010, 03:34 PM »
If there is an area where the ice is not solid in January with all the negative temps. We really need to get the information passed around. Can you get GPS coordinates on it? Something came up or I would be out there.

Be safe out there.
Mike

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2010, 04:47 PM »
will get the info for sure. It looks like it was further out towards the middle of the lake as wthis is what I was told. He had moved his shack to the edge of a reef and the sled went through 20 feet away in 18" water the shack is in about 20' so series drop for sure. Will be moving to susitna on monday then crosswinds tuesday. Yeah I thought I read you were going up there this weekend. so be it was -16 this a.m. -8 last night. you know Kirk wilson at all.

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2010, 06:04 PM »
I had some stuff come up and could not swing it. REALLY wanted to head to a place that I found last summer.
Is it this reef?

Mike

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2010, 11:18 PM »
we're gonna do crosswind next weekend.....need to call kirk i guess and let him know. Hey akdube you think the russian netters out at susitna channel with trade whitefish with me?
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2010, 02:24 AM »
Jake,
  I believe that the troopers are watching them very closely. Do you really want their eyes on you?

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2010, 03:02 AM »
Mike you are a wise man my friend! didnt even think about that.....you goin up next week?

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2010, 03:50 AM »
what are you doing with the whitefish?  I am assuming burbot?   you maybe able to buy some from the local fish market cough cough.   I know we used to in the spring...though I havent been around to be able to do it for a few years at that time of year.   This year I will again finally!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2010, 09:17 AM »
Dan
Whities make great laker bait.
I have used whitefish to about 3 pounds for bait in the NWT and done very well on lakers into the mid 40 pound range.
This has been in open water. For some strange reason I have not used them in the winter, yet.   ;)2

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2010, 12:31 PM »
Mike, if your looking at that map it was below and to the left that 16' mark near those islands is where it was. The russians haven't been there for about 2 weeks now they folks up there think they are done. Did hear that a russian pulled a gun on some buddy up there but will get more details when I get there tomorrow. We have a couple whitefish we caught salmon fishing that we are about out of but we use them as cut bait and jig for lakers. Last time up we caught a 9lb brbot that had 3 whiteies about 10 inchs in it that we have been using as well. Troopers stoped by the shack yesterday and talked to my buddy. Stated out of the copper river basin fishing regs that we needed to have the shacks reg. with the state... I  thought lake louise was in the mat-su bourough? what ever we will call the info in and just be done with it. Do I think they would trade some whiteies with you? ABSOLUTLEY. Would I do any wheelin and dealin with them NO FRIGGIN WAY. We were there and watched them doing the netting no thanks just asking for trouble. I also heard that there was a new native foods store in ancourage but no one seems to know the name of the place. Georges doesn't carry them any more..takin off in the am....-26 there this morning...

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2010, 02:57 PM »
If one of the russians pulled a gun, they should be able to track him down using the info from their permit. That crap needs to stop and stop NOW!

Mat-Su Borough does not have anything to do with the fishing regulations. Different boundary lines. The borough does put additional rules such as HP limitations, no jet skiis, no jet boats, on certain bodies of water.

I have some friends that mechanic in the bush. Maybe I can get them to bring 10 pounds back and we can divide it out. Herring works pretty good. B&J's has some nice ones.

Any fishing reports? I heard one and it was poor.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2010, 04:50 PM »
Thanks for the copy of the map Dirtofak! I posted it in the Lake Louise post on the reports page. Lake Louise

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:10 PM »
Thanks for the copy of the map Dirtofak! I posted it in the Lake Louise post on the reports page. Lake Louise

Do you want the one with all my fishing hotspots on it? ;)

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2010, 12:24 AM »
hell ya! ;)

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2010, 03:14 AM »
FISH ON!!!!!!  ;D ;D

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2010, 05:40 AM »
hey Mike how come you didnt send me that map? lol MAN I GOT BAD NEWS! My F-Ing snowmachine got stolen!!!!!! and im pretty sure i know who it was......when i get my proof its gonna be hell to pay for them!

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2010, 05:46 AM »
hey Mike how come you didnt send me that map? lol MAN I GOT BAD NEWS! My F-Ing snowmachine got stolen!!!!!! and im pretty sure i know who it was......when i get my proof its gonna be hell to pay for them!

I did send you that map VIA email I believe. Remember that I am old and forgetful..... Now that I am unemployed, maybe we can fish a bit. I really hope you get your machine back! The BASTAGES!!!

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:30 PM »
Well made it back, reluctently, was cold when we got there -40, but warmed up. Never headed to crosswinds as it was -40. Did fish the outlet of susitna where it goes into tyone...If you have the chance I would definetly fish there... Caught some nice lakers biggest around 15lbs with lots around 5-8 lbs. Burbot was slow for us this time did manage one about 36". Ice on susitna is about 24". We also saw lots of fox so if your up that way bring the boom stck. Fished for whites 2 days and moved 3 times saw them on the cameras just couldn't convince them it was edible. Snow was excellent and we found no overflow. Trails haven't been groomed in awhile but the markers are up all the way to tyone for sure. Anyone else been up that way. If so how was it?

Dube

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.