Author Topic: Bucket list fish.  (Read 678 times)

Offline Bbarton07

• IceShanty Rookie
Bucket list fish.
« on: Nov 09, 2019, 02:26 PM »
Looking for my first Walleye through the Ice.  I live in Lenox Ma, But fish NY,CT  What lakes would I have to decent chance of hooking up. I'm looking at Oneida lake, Great Sacandaga, and Tomhanook Res. I have permit.  Thanks for any help

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Bucket list fish.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2019, 05:30 PM »
All of your choices are on the main list. Just down the road for you.
I started with this same list 25 years ago. My comments follow.
Oneida was the top walleye go-to years ago. We hired a guide and rented a shore house. The guide was up-to-date on hot-spots and provided transportation to his shanties. Good times were had by all. The drinkers were all smiles. The hard core fishers were looking for action. If there was a hot bite down the lake he came and brought you there. Good cold weather clothing and run-and-gun tackle (your own auger) was needed. Shiners were always the bait of choice and we all had a dozen in a zip-lock bag in our pocket. Look at the lake map and see many humps (walleye-hot-spots) are way-out-there.
Sacandaga.  Nickname "THE DEAD SEA"...  Can be frustrating because of it's size, 19+ miles long.  Their walleye challenge is a long standing event that's popular beyond belief. "A waiting list to enter". Walleye hot spots are well-guarded-secrets.
Access is strange as some public-access spots are there and again not there.
On the far end "Sport Island Pub" stop in and have a cocktail with decent food at reasonable prices (with the best eye-candy in that area of NY-State) and access to the far end of Sacandaga. Out, 1/4 way to the other side,  down 1/2 mile, spread your tip-ups out  and hope for the best. Walleyes are there roaming and a decent Northern has shown up.
Tomhannock: Opening ice is January1. Look for activity as you go across the causeway. Always a USA flag showing. Take a left and cruise slowly looking for locals. Power augers are illegal. Electric are now legal. Some serious Yellows are available just north of the pines taking a left after the bridge.
Goo-Ruck.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Bbarton07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2019, 06:20 AM »
Thanks Yankee, Do you think Tomhanook is worth the effort. I do have the permit. Just wondering the quantity in the reservoir.

Offline MilFishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2019, 06:37 AM »
Still wanting to get a lake trout through the ice...hopefully this is the year 🙌🏻

Offline Bbarton07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2019, 10:54 AM »
Also if anyone can recommend a walleye guide in upstate New York . Or how to search for one. Would be greatly appreciated. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.