Author Topic: electric filet knives  (Read 2531 times)

Offline JIGMAN21

• Team IceShanty Regular
electric filet knives
« on: Feb 16, 2019, 08:18 PM »
my old filet knife is worn out.  can anybody recommend a good replacement.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: electric filet knives
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2019, 08:20 PM »
american angler.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2019, 08:25 PM »
American angler, no doubt. With the shark blades (skinny blades for panfish)
EYECONICFISHING

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:43 AM »
American Angler / Shark Blades .
Oops! is too late.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:52 AM »
American angler $100 +.
Mister twister $30 or less..
My mister twister is 30yo. and still works great. I did get new blades about 10 years ago..   jmo..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:57 AM »
I'm happy with my 110v Rapala . My first one lasted close to 25 years with heavy use summer and winter. The replacement is going strong.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:59 AM »
Just retired my B&D after 20  years $12.00 , to replace , its corded

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2019, 07:02 AM »
My 30 year old American Angler die.this winter and.so did my 5 year old Mr.Twister. lol The Twister I know how to fix,need to solder a contact spot. I always buy extra Mr. Twister,Wally world always.puts them on sale. I paid $15 bucks for the last two. They always break down the same way,they only work on one side,because the contact burnt out,easy fix, solder a new piece of metal to the bad area.

Offline teampar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2019, 07:47 AM »
american angler.

X2....specially if you fillet large numbers at once, the cheaper knives are ok if your only doing a few at a time.

Offline HOTTIPDOWNS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2019, 07:52 AM »
American Angler Pro.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2019, 08:10 AM »
The Rapala Lithium Ion is expensive but sweet. I'll never go back to a corded knife.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2019, 11:33 AM »
American angler $100 +.
Mister twister $30 or less..
My mister twister is 30yo. and still works great. I did get new blades about 10 years ago..   jmo..

Your mister twister 30 year old one is not built like the new ones. I burned up 3 mister twisters before I bought my first AA. I sold the first AA one because it was a battery and I always clean fish by an electrical outlet so bought the AC one. Very pleased with the AA, but I dont use it often anymore.. mostly just carving roasts and hams and such.

The rapala lithium is another good one I've heard.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2019, 11:54 AM »
Bought a new one from Walmart that was about 15 bucks and it works nice have done 12 walleye and a few perch and some crappie and trout all in one sitting and have done frozen fish from off the ice and it is still cutting and running just like I bought it. Just depends on how much you want to spend on one and if you want to have it plugged in or cordless.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2019, 12:02 PM »
I'm sticking with the 4" original Rapala. I'd consider going electric if I had to clean BIG fish. Perch, crappies, and gills are fine with a wood handled Rapala.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2019, 12:50 PM »
I'm sticking with the 4" original Rapala. I'd consider going electric if I had to clean BIG fish. Perch, crappies, and gills are fine with a wood handled Rapala.
  Once you get the hang of the electric, you'll never go back.  You can clean 30 perch in no time.  If I only have 10 or so fish, I still stick with my trusty 4" or 6" wood handle Rapala knife though.

Offline WyoMinFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2019, 01:06 PM »
X2 on the Rapala Lithium Ion!!  Love the knife well worth the price!!

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2019, 01:31 PM »
Never tried the mister twisters. Been using a AA for along many years. Still works great! Don’t use it much Anymore as I only Keep a small number of fish anymore. Most of the times I just use my seven inch uncle Henry. I do like or did like the way the electric would allow me to run through the rib bones on pan fish. Quicker without dulling the knife blade. If the twisters work for y’all get another! Now if y’all are looking for a really fine feliet knife get a Leach Lake had mine from 2004. Put one touch up on the blade!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2019, 04:38 PM »
I'm happy with my 110v Rapala . My first one lasted close to 25 years with heavy use summer and winter. The replacement is going strong.
I like my 110v Rapala also.  I just wish it didn't come with a 1500 foot cord that I can never get packed back in its case.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2019, 05:13 PM »
Cool story bro!
Don't knock it til ya try it  ;) ::)

Offline cabbage

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:17 PM »
Mister Twister is collecting dust charging my Rapala Ion now

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:34 PM »
i have a heavy duty rapala and love it.  it replaced a 15 year old rapala and loved it too.  cleaned thousands upon thousands of fish with it.  it got to the point once it was on it was on till got done cleaning fish.  also got a rapala fancy battery ion rapala for christmas and have cleaned prob 600 or 700 fish with it this winter and it has performed very well.  well beyond anything i would have expected from a battery operated electric knife.  i would honestly recommend the lithiom ion battery rapala.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2019, 08:06 PM »
X3 on the Rap lith-ion

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2019, 08:52 PM »
I retired a rapala 12v/110v after about 7-8yrs....a Berkeley 110v....after 5yrs....both cord problems...repairable. Bought a mister twister 110v couple yrs ago and so far like it better than either...seems to cut through ribs easier...better blade release...$30!

Offline Augerholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2019, 10:53 PM »
Was thinking of trying the lithium Rapala, but they rate rather poorly on Amazon.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Feb 18, 2019, 12:25 AM »
  Once you get the hang of the electric, you'll never go back.  You can clean 30 perch in no time.  If I only have 10 or so fish, I still stick with my trusty 4" or 6" wood handle Rapala knife though.

I'll throw you a curve ball. A good long knife in the hands of a skilled operator is way faster than an electric knife... and much cleaner. How many electric knives do you think are in the fish processing plants, restaurants, fish shops, charter boats, etc? I bet you can count them on one hand. Perch are so easy with a good knife, I'd say less than 10 seconds per fish when in the groove.

Electrics make for EASY cleaning, just press a button and point the knife in the right direction and nothing really stands in your way.

I clean my fish with a bubba blade, not because I think its some magic knife but because the grip is so darn comfortable. The knife is good though, nice steel that doesn't need sharpened for a few hundred fish and the shape is real easy to work with (I use the 9" tapered flex). One motion and the side of the fish is laying on the cutting board, takes about a second per side of the fish.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline earlyrise

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 18, 2019, 07:14 AM »
I have had a Dexter for years, never tried an electric.

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:17 AM »
No thanks.  I've perfected filleting without an electric knife.

Thousands of panfish with a 4.5 blade.  I even caught them without a flasher too.  If that's possible. lol

Cool story, bro. You should make a thread about non-electric 4.5" fillet knives and go post in there.
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #27 on: Feb 18, 2019, 03:51 PM »
Ive got an older, probably 25+ year old mister twister, and it does the job.  Mainly for getting the fillet off the fish, then I use my Birch handled rapala to remove the rib bones.  I used to do like the guy in that video did, cut down to the tail, flip and remove the fillet from the skin, but found that it is easier to take the rib bones out while the skin is on....so I have a 3 step process, electric to remove the fillet, non electric to scoop the bones, then electric to remove the skin.....a little longer that way, but Im not a fan of just cutting out the rib cage ala the video, even if there is only a little meat under those bones.....

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 18, 2019, 06:40 PM »
i broke mr twister on-switch in one season. american angler was alot easier to hold on to for long periods.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 18, 2019, 08:29 PM »
I actually use a regular 7" fillet knife for walleye and pike most of the time, because I usually don't fillet that many at a time.  It's the perch with their bullet-proof, armored scales that I need the electric for, especially when I catch a lot of them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.