Author Topic: Truck or SUV  (Read 4241 times)

Offline Len Thompson

• IceShanty Rookie
Truck or SUV
« on: Jan 08, 2007, 08:29 PM »
I love the outdoors.  I avidly fish and hunt.  I am embarassed however to post the fact that I only own a small Mazda Protégé and a Plymouth Voyageur minivan.  These vehicles attached to a utility trailer have never stopped me from fishing nor hunting.  OK, so I can't go everywhere and that is exactly what is bothering me.  I now want a 4 x 4.  I am debating between a Nissan Pathfinder or an extended cab half ton.  I want a vehicle that will safely bring me fishing and hunting where I want to go but I need room for 5 passengers to fit my family.  Forum readers what are your opinions.  For those who have had both, which vehicle did you prefer?

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Truck or SUV
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2007, 08:40 PM »
I currently own a Geo Tracker, which I absolutely love, no problems in 3 and a half years. BUT- I have to buy a trailer and a hitch to be able to stow and haul my ice fishing shanty and gear. I know it's not as big as the Pathfinder you are thinking about, but even if my Tracker was a full sized Trailblazer or Expedition, I don't know if I would haul a gas auger in the cab, due to the smell of gas, and the possibility of gas leaking on the seats or carpet. All in all, I think I would prefer a pick-up, I have owned a few in my life and for hauling they can't be beat. If getting groceries or other stuff you don't want getting wet or blowing out, an SUV is the perfect choice. One more thing, when the "Big Boys" can't drive on the ice, my Geo Tracker will be able to, one advantage to a small SUV.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2007, 10:43 PM »
I currently own a Geo Tracker, which I absolutely love, no problems in 3 and a half years. BUT- I have to buy a trailer and a hitch to be able to stow and haul my ice fishing shanty and gear. I know it's not as big as the Pathfinder you are thinking about, but even if my Tracker was a full sized Trailblazer or Expedition, I don't know if I would haul a gas auger in the cab, due to the smell of gas, and the possibility of gas leaking on the seats or carpet. All in all, I think I would prefer a pick-up, I have owned a few in my life and for hauling they can't be beat. If getting groceries or other stuff you don't want getting wet or blowing out, an SUV is the perfect choice. One more thing, when the "Big Boys" can't drive on the ice, my Geo Tracker will be able to, one advantage to a small SUV.
geo trackers, suzuki side kicks and toyota land crusers are awsome 4x4s they are light and with some wide tires they just float. i know a couple people with suzuki sidekicks and after riding in one on the ice and doin some mudding, i am looking for one in the fall. but the 4x4 trucks are nice too because you dont need a trailer and they hold more stuff.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2007, 10:55 PM »
Love this thing-

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2007, 08:36 AM »
I don't know if I would haul a gas auger in the cab, due to the smell of gas, and the possibility of gas leaking on the seats or carpet.

Rubbermaid makes a tub the perfect size for an auger motor and a 2L of gas. I have an faulty gas cap on my Jiffy and the tub keeps the stink out. Great investment. Forget the size, Walmart, around $8.

Offline dewyg

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing Partners
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2007, 10:26 AM »
I had the pathfinder and it was a good vehicle, I currently own a dodge quad cab 4x4, which I totally love.  I also have a ford explorer 4x4 which is amazing in the snow and on the ice as well. I like both vehicles, but I will never give up my quad cab.
Set the hook and keep your line tight!

Offline saskcat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2007, 12:04 PM »
IF your not hunting a suv would be ideal, but on the other hand if you plan on hunting get the truck....would recomend 4 door quad cab has more then enough room, yet still has a usable box :tipup:

Offline whitetip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2007, 03:47 PM »
Go with the truck.  Prety hard to through a deer or elk in the back of the SUV and the wife might not like that.  But i will tell you this is that go to Albert to the auction and get one.  i just got one from there two months ago and it was like 6000 dollars cheaper for then here.  It was a 2004 4 door 4x4 2500.  It was awesome i love my truck.  I need a second job to keep gas in it but thats ok.  But i found the fuel tank on the truck is very small only holds about 70 litres.

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2007, 03:50 PM »
truck is better, i have an suv and it takes way too much to heat or cool the vehicle in the morning plus as mentioned the cargo options are limited slightly. the up side is that you can lock up all the stuff you might want in the suv safely compared to the truck even with a cap.

good luck and good fishin
Team Goldfish 55 :-D :-D
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Offline bullydog324

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2007, 03:56 PM »
truck is better, i have an suv and it takes way too much to heat or cool the vehicle in the morning plus as mentioned the cargo options are limited slightly. the up side is that you can lock up all the stuff you might want in the suv safely compared to the truck even with a cap.

Exactly what i would say. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and the best thing about it is the ability to lock everything inside. But my Clam Guide pretty much fills it up.

Offline chewster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Hey Dad, it's cold, put another log on the fire"
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2007, 04:07 PM »
I owned a newer Nissan Pathfinder a couple years ago.  It was an awesome vehicle.  My only complaint was the absolutely pitiful gas mileage.  In town about 14/15 and that's in summer.  18/20 on the highway depending on conditions.  It's probably no worse than a 4x4 truck tho, I've owned both.  If you're driving either, expect multiple pit stops.  On the upside tho, you can do things you like to do without to much worry as you initially pointed out.  Good luck
The Chewster

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2007, 04:09 PM »
I have a 4x4 Dodge Durango. I also have a 5'x8' trailer. My previous vehicle was a Jeep Cherokee.

I can haul 7 people in comfort. I can haul fishing and hunting gear. If I need room or for real nasty loads I hook up the trailer.

With a tarp I have hauled field dressed deer without messing up the carpet. For the auger I use a tarp with some rags on top in case of leaks (haven't had one yet).

I would vote for an SUV. I like the one vehicle that will do it all.

The Durango is a bit smaller than I would like but the main job it does is hauling me to work and back. It does that job very well.

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2007, 04:51 PM »

Have to agree with the 4X4 Truck!  I have a Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4 and for a midsize there is lots of room in the back seat for buddies, beer or gear!  I have a tonneau cover on the bed so my gear is covered also! I have never had the thing stuck before and I have tried lots of interesting things.  Also has a great turning radius for the tight turns around snow banks on the lake!

Should be an intesting blizzard tonight and tommorrow, glad the snow plows are not on strike anymore!  Will definately need the 4X4 tommorrow!

Offline edp13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2007, 04:52 PM »
got to go with the truck u just can't go wrong with it
Slaying fish on the hard water

Offline Leroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2007, 05:29 PM »
I had a Jeep TJ last year and it was pretty much impossible to get stuck.  However it was noisy on the highway and had little storage space.  This year I am using a Ford Escape - they are a nice size, good on mileage and 4 wheel drive - however they don't have the best clearance.  If I were looking to buy now, I would probably look at those new 4 door Jeeps or a Dodge Dakota quad cab. 

Offline greenbush

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2007, 06:30 PM »
I work in the auto industry, So heres my 2 cents. First gas inside a suv bad, very bad. one spill and you are replacing carpet and underlay. I have seen all makes up on the hoist and have done work to all of them. I would buy a crew cab 1\2 ton, put atopper on it, plus it would be a 4x4. As make in todays market it doesn't really matter. I guess it would be what style you like. The ford is by far the quietest on the road, but has very bad fabric for staining and cleaning. If I had the money I would but a double cab tundra. I think it is the nicest on the market, but that is me. Plus with a toyota resale value is high, but the dodge is right there also.
 I have a fi50 ext cab and am looking for a crewcab, but can not come to terms with spending 50,000g's on a new truck. When it comes down to it it is your choice, and i'm sure you will be happy

Offline Imissedem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2007, 06:59 PM »
you want room and comfort dependable go for it all in a FORD F-350 CREW CAB with a 6.0 Diesel 4x4.I did and love it.Look long and hard for a used one they are out there,it took me almost a year but worth the wait for my dream truck. Imissedem            oh and by the way be sure to go with the 8' bed your quad will fit perfect.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2007, 07:10 PM »
I don't like diesels. The smell and noise reminds me of work! ;D

I have a full sized ex-cab long box pickup. I sucks gas, but it also isn't my daily driver.

I put a nice fiberglass topper on it and it works perfectly for my purposes. A hose takes care of gas spillage, deer blood, and fish stink. I am always hauling something wet, smelly, greasy or dirty. I had an SUV and the interior of the back got pretty gross. I also got sick of hooking up the trailer to haul anything large. I am a proud pick up man! ;D

Offline Perch Master

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish with a Vex, or get skunked like the rest.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2007, 07:35 PM »
I vote for TRUCK:  I had the 4x4 Dakota extended cab...awesome truck on the ice and in the snow, but I had the V6....should have bought the V8...the extra power would be worth it.
I've got the Ram 1500 4x4 quad cab now and with the HEMI and with a good set of snow tires it is truely unstopable.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2007, 07:59 AM »
Have to agree with the 4X4 Truck!  I have a Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4 and for a midsize there is lots of room in the back seat for buddies, beer or gear!  I have a tonneau cover on the bed so my gear is covered also! I have never had the thing stuck before and I have tried lots of interesting things.  Also has a great turning radius for the tight turns around snow banks on the lake!

Should be an intesting blizzard tonight and tommorrow, glad the snow plows are not on strike anymore!  Will definately need the 4X4 tommorrow!

I have been looking at those Dakota Quad cabs. I think I would go with a topper. I had a 2wd S10 with a tonneau cover. Got the cover because the wife thought it looked good. I missed the bed room I had with my 2wd Ranger with an aluminum topper.

I just wonder how much I would miss my third row seat.

Offline Len Thompson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2007, 07:51 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for all your opinions.  I guess I know that it is a truck that I really need.  I really don't know why I test drove that Pathfinder because I fell in love with it.  Well, I guess when I have the cash I'll be looking for a 4 x 4 extended cab half ton.

Thanks again.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2007, 09:04 PM »
I've owned a 91 4Runner, 03 Exploder, 01 Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel, 06 Ranger 4x4.
All interesting vehicles.  I could not kill the 4Runner.  Best shift on the fly setup, but it was a bit small
in the seat, and cargo.  The Exploder is the best to drive on ice and snow (and that's without putting it 4wheel...this is one with all wheel drive).  The Ram is a big, heavy work truck.  It's loud, it's big, and it handles like a truck.  The 4 wheel drive system is nothing like the 4Runner or Exploder (duh!), but it hauls, it's powerful, and it gets decent mileage even though it has 4.10s.  I bought the Ranger to replace the 4Runner at the camp, and couldn't get myself to part with it all summer and fall.  I drove it to/from work and loved it.  It is not comformtable enough for long drives for me (with my bad back), but it was a nice change of pace compared to the Dodge.  When I had the 4Runner on the ice, I envied the others who had pickups and could easily put stuff in their trucks...my rear window would freeze up often.  The Dodge is a workout to drive long distances, is a bit harder to load/unload being so high off the ground.  I am seriously considering replacing it with a Toyota Sienna AWD since I only used the Dodge on the highway driving to/from camp.  I've advertised the truck, but too many folks are conditioned to think that if  vehicle has over 100K miles, it already has one foot in the grave (not so with the Cummins).  It was a big, expensive truck.  If I don't sell it, then I guess I have to keep driving it to/from the camp...oh well....

To answer the original posters question: SUV or pickup.  It all depends on what you want to do, but it sounds like some sort of pickup would be the better choice.  It just gets pricey when you have to have the double cab, 4x4, automatic, etc.  But if you need your every day driver for weekends and play, then you probably have to make some compromises...can you strap a child's seat in back or up front?  Maybe not an issue.  Does your wife/girlfriend need to drive it?  My wife hates driving the big Dodge and avoids it (yeah for me!). 

Oh boy, so many considerations, so many options....it's all just money.  Can't take it with you when you die, so might as well spend it while you can...

Good luck,
MD.

Offline ice man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2007, 10:18 PM »
I can't imagine trying to pack all the equipment to go ice fishing in a van or suv, I have a 2002 Ford Super crew and I think the box is too small.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.