Author Topic: Jiffy STX Blade sharpening S’toon  (Read 1512 times)

Offline mjs059

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jiffy STX Blade sharpening S’toon
« on: Jan 09, 2022, 02:44 PM »
Looking for advice on a place to get jiffy stx blades sharpened in Saskatoon. I have used one of the recommended places for years. My issue is the two sets of 10” blades I rotate through will not cut well the last 3 times they were sharpened there. I had chalked it up to a bad day sharpening but either they are not being sharpened to the proper angle or are no longer able to be sharpened. I asked the owner if they were still good and he says yes.
I have touched up the point on the flighting but that doesn’t help.
I have another 8” flighting and newer blades that I need to hold back the auger as they pull and cut so aggressively.

How do I know when the blades are completely finished?
Anyone had this problem solved by changing sharpening vendor?

Offline Burbot Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just chillin'
Re: Jiffy STX Blade sharpening S’toon
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2022, 05:08 PM »
I have been sharpening my own after watching a YouTube video " How to sharpen ice auger blades Jiffy and Mora". I bought a stone and have had good luck doing this. I live in a rural area and do not have easy access to the city, so this works well for me.

Offline DoubleHookSet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2022, 06:37 PM »
Looking for advice on a place to get jiffy stx blades sharpened in Saskatoon. I have used one of the recommended places for years. My issue is the two sets of 10” blades I rotate through will not cut well the last 3 times they were sharpened there. I had chalked it up to a bad day sharpening but either they are not being sharpened to the proper angle or are no longer able to be sharpened. I asked the owner if they were still good and he says yes.
I have touched up the point on the flighting but that doesn’t help.
I have another 8” flighting and newer blades that I need to hold back the auger as they pull and cut so aggressively.

How do I know when the blades are completely finished?
Anyone had this problem solved by changing sharpening vendor?

Hey there. Not sure who you've used but I found a guy in stoon last year on kijiji. I've used him a couple times and have had good results. He asks you for the brand and tells you before hand if he can do them.

Offline mjs059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2022, 07:52 PM »
I may go that route if I can get these two sets back to working condition or I get a new set

I have been sharpening my own after watching a YouTube video " How to sharpen ice auger blades Jiffy and Mora". I bought a stone and have had good luck doing this. I live in a rural area and do not have easy access to the city, so this works well for me.

Offline mjs059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2022, 07:53 PM »
I have seen his ad.
May give him a try before I buy a new set and start again.

Hey there. Not sure who you've used but I found a guy in stoon last year on kijiji. I've used him a couple times and have had good results. He asks you for the brand and tells you before hand if he can do them.

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2022, 11:58 PM »
PM sent

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2022, 05:39 AM »
how much to sharpen? 

I usually just buy new every few years for my eskimo

Offline mjs059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2022, 01:13 PM »
Haven’t had a set done since sometime last year but I think around $15 for the three blades in the jiffy system.

Most years fishing diefenbaker a lot with the sand getting blown into the ice requires a touch up during the season.

Much cheaper than be new set of teeth for the Jiffy’s

how much to sharpen? 

I usually just buy new every few years for my eskimo

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2022, 02:49 PM »
I sharpen my Mora hand auger blades using a cotton buffing wheel and a fine polishing compound following a YouTube instruction. Only touch the top side. Never touch the bottom side. The wheel meets the blade the opposite way to how the ice meets the blade. It takes 10 seconds .

I guess gas auger blades can be sharpened similarly.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2022, 08:52 AM »
good to know

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.