Author Topic: Glad they caught him  (Read 1802 times)

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Glad they caught him
« on: Dec 14, 2021, 12:26 PM »
Beauval man fined for fishing, wildlife offences.
https://www.ckom.com/2021/12/14/838053/

A three-year investigation has resulted in $14,500 in fines against a Beauval man after he pleaded guilty to a number of fisheries and wildlife charges.

Roger McCallum Jr., 36, was given three years to pay the fines. He also can’t apply for licences under The Fisheries Act for three years and was given a five-year prohibition for licences under The Wildlife Act.

The investigation started in 2018 after a tip about illegal fishing and trafficking in the Beauval area.

After officers confirmed McCallum was involved in trafficking large quantities of fish, undercover officers saw him throw a large number of edible fish into the landfill to waste.

“During the investigation, conservation officers also discovered that McCallum was trafficking in bear gall bladders,” the Ministry of Environment said in a media release. “On one occasion, he sold a bear gall to an undercover officer and then attempted to recruit the officer to sell bear gall bladders for him.”

Officers also determined McCallum was offering guided fishing trips.

In September of 2019, they booked a trip with him to a lake that has an angling limit of three trout per person. During the trip, McCallum set two gill nets that caught a large number of lake trout. According to the ministry’s release, he gave the officers 29 fish, which he included in their guiding fee.

On Nov. 17 of this year, McCallum pleaded guilty to a number of charges. He was fined $7,600 for illegal marketing of fish, $2,800 for trafficking in bear galls, $1,400 for wasting fish, $1,400 for illegal outfitting, $1,050 for illegal provision of sustenance fish, and $250 for commercial fishing without a licence.

Anyone who suspects wildlife, fisheries, forestry or environmental violations is urged to call Saskatchewan’s Turn In Poachers and Polluters line at 1-800-667-7561 or to report them online at saskatchewan.ca/tipp.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Glad they caught him
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2021, 12:54 PM »
 Good they got him indeed, but I always wonder if those fines are comparable to what he made off his illegal activities.  $100k and fishing and hunting privileges gone for life if i had my way.

All his vehicles, boats and quads should be gone too.  Scum.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2021, 12:58 PM »
Good they got him indeed, but I always wonder if those fines are comparable to what he made off his illegal activities.  $100k and fishing and hunting privileges gone for life if i had my way.

I agree, fines ain't near enough for people like that.

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2021, 12:59 PM »

X2!! Always a believer hunting and fishing violations should be wayyyyyy more strict. Robs everyone from the natural resource for ones own greed.

Offline daustman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2021, 01:01 PM »
You said it.  These fines are barely a deterrent to not do it again.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2021, 01:19 PM »
Glad they got him but I dont think he will stop.... >:(
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2021, 01:33 PM »

The punishment is a complete joke. Can't own a license for 3 years...lol. I would assume poaching those bears as well. Not to mention the 3 years of criminal investigation that took place and probably ate up a ton of money.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2021, 01:54 PM »
nail his scrotum to a stump and flip him over backwards----that'll learn him
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2021, 03:49 PM »
off easy   welcome to the sk and the canadian justice system

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2021, 07:16 PM »
I'd like to know what his revenues were versus his expenses (fines). Suspect his endeavours still showed a good profit and he'll continue his business in the future.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2021, 08:57 PM »
When I was an outfitter (here in Saskatchewan), years ago us outfitters were complaining about this guy that was rogue outfitting.  The C.O's did a 2 year investigation, which included befriending the person, booking a fishing trip, catching a limit of fish 3 times a day (going back to the camp after each limit), and other offences that they finally charged him with.

When it goes to court the judge throws it out, saying....."there was no intent to make a profit".  Some licensed outfitters don't make much of a profit, and the judge throws it out.....BS.

The Gov't told us they had 2 C.O.'s involved with the sting, and cost them over $50,000  And the guy walks free.

I have had guys tell me, it is only illegal if you get caught....and if you get caught, it's no big deal.....no F   ing kidding.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.