Author Topic: mr heater filter no filter?????  (Read 19088 times)

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
mr heater filter no filter?????
« on: Jan 09, 2014, 08:45 PM »
ok so what is the general concensus on whether or not the heaters need a filter? you don't use a filter on  1lb bottle so whats the difference between that and a bigger bottle??

Offline peter big bear 59

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: mr heater filter no filter?????
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2014, 08:56 PM »
1. The small bottle screw directly to the heater.
2. 5#, 10# and 20# bottles require a rubber hose to transport the propane from the bottle to the heater.
3. Most of the hoses for propane tend to leach an oil like residue that will gum up your heater, thus the requirement for the filter.

Peter.
Peter Big Bear 59

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2014, 09:07 PM »
Good enough logic for me thanks

Offline Walleyeslayer306

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2014, 09:17 PM »
I use a filter with my 20lb tank and big buddy just in case....i've heard that if you don't they can be a b**** to start!
born to fish, forced to work!

Offline AngusMacHuge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2014, 11:14 PM »
I'll admit to being guilty of not using a filter with my buddy heater, which I run off a 5lb tank and rubber hose. It's a bit of a crank to start after first hooking up, but it's been that way since day one unless it's one of the few occasions that I run it off a 1lb bottle. The reading I've done suggests it takes time to bleed the air out of the hose on the first start, subsequent starts are no problem. I'm sure it's better to use a filter, but into my 4th season of fairly regular use without and no problems yet. Another tip is to shut the valve off at the tank to run it dry at the end of the day instead of shutting the heater itself off and disconnecting, as it supposedly leaves less "residue" in the system.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Get the hose with the quick coupler and built in regulator no filter required and this is what is recommended by Mr Heater.
Any time you connect a larger tank to the threaded connectors that the 1 lb bottles attach to you should be using a filter.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2014, 06:43 PM »
Get the hose with the quick coupler and built in regulator no filter required and this is what is recommended by Mr Heater.
Any time you connect a larger tank to the threaded connectors that the 1 lb bottles attach to you should be using a filter.

I just picked up a big buddy and went with this set up as well.  I read a post earlier where a dude's buddy crapped out on his 5th season as he was not using a filter.  He felt the years of use without the filter caught up to him.  I cleaned it but it still ran funny.  I would go with a filter or the set up mentioned here.

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:44 PM »
I think it says on the hose's packaging/manual if a fuel filter is required or not?  I no longer have mine but my hose (green without regulator) requires the fuel filter.  Here is the website maybe they will have it listed in there:

http://www.mrheater.com
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2014, 12:27 PM »
Here are Mr. Heater hose stock numbers that require a fuel filter:

F273701

F273702

F298802

F272702

F273703-60 or F273703-144

//.\\//.\\ark

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2014, 01:00 PM »
Green hoses do not require a filter, black hoses require a filter or a regulator.

Cheers

Layne
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2021, 04:26 PM »
Mr Heater Part Number F273704 for the bulk propane hose that does NOT require a filter.

Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2021, 05:02 PM »
Mr Heater Part Number F273704 for the bulk propane hose that does NOT require a filter.

Yes...that is what's needed. Btw...this post is almost 8 years old.  ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2022, 11:48 AM »
If no filter is used and one notices slow starts or sings of it gumming up, how do you guys clean things?

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2022, 01:14 PM »
I found an online youtube video made by a woodworking dentist who shows how to take apart and clean the supply tube on a Big Buddy heater. It is a very good step by step process. He claims this one clogged tube is the biggest reason for malfunctions of this unit.

As for the Mr. Heater hoses with a regulator, I have a very long one that I have struggled with. The quick connect is hard to manipulate and the propane will not flow well in very cold weather. I carry my tank and heater inside the vehicle now and turn on the gas at the tank a good 15 - 20 minutes before trying to ignite. This seems to help. On our recent trip to Deschambault, I could only get the heater to work using propane bottles. We spent about four hours on skidoos to get to our spot. The -28 degree temperatures shut down the hose and tank setup completely. Back home in the garage, everything worked fine.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2022, 03:07 PM »
I had the same experience at blackstrap during that cold wave. I ended up getting the heater running, but it would only on low. My holes froze over inside the shack with it on low haha. I'll try that cleaning process to see if it helps.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2022, 03:19 PM »
I have a very long one and the propane will not flow well in very cold weather.

That's most of the problem right there. Propane does not flow well as far as distances are concerned when it is very cold. Even the 12" hose on most gas grills will cut down on volume when it's really cold out.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2022, 04:20 PM »
The other thing folks can try is to blow out their long hose with compressed air if they are having trouble in warmer weather.  Mine has threaded fittings on both ends so I give it a good cleaning once a year.

Offline jiffy22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2022, 06:23 PM »
I suspect most of you are day trips so why worry about a big tank and problems with the hose?  I’ve used 1 lb tanks refilled and reused.   Never a problem.  I’ve never burned thru more than 2 in a day. 

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2022, 06:43 PM »
I suspect most of you are day trips so why worry about a big tank and problems with the hose?  I’ve used 1 lb tanks refilled and reused.   Never a problem.  I’ve never burned thru more than 2 in a day.

Also no problems with the "correct" hose and a 5# tank. Run it 3 full days and fill it for less than $5.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2022, 06:47 PM »
I ran one with a filter and had nothing but problems, took the filter off and it ran great, even in below zero temps

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2022, 06:53 PM »
So this is pretty off  topic but my woodshop at the new place has a big propane tank outside,the size that heats homes.anyways theres a old propane space heater that crapped out hooked to it.would i have problems hooking my buddy heater to that hose and run it?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2022, 07:10 PM »
So this is pretty off  topic but my woodshop at the new place has a big propane tank outside,the size that heats homes.anyways theres a old propane space heater that crapped out hooked to it.would i have problems hooking my buddy heater to that hose and run it?

I'd get a new hose. No telling how old that one is. Could be the reason the other heater crapped out. Just guessing.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2022, 07:19 PM »
I'd get a new hose. No telling how old that one is. Could be the reason the other heater crapped out. Just guessing.

I agree, a good hose and it should be good to go.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2022, 07:32 PM »
On real cold days I keep the tank inside the shanty. Why not? Some sunflower types are mounted on top of the tank right? Just don't have the heater pointed at the tank.  ;)2

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2022, 10:41 AM »

I've had so much trouble using 1lb tanks. Either they are too cold to start up, or they start up and frost over and shut off. In my experience, with a regular buddy heater, the 1lb tanks just become un-reliable under half full if it is cold. Using the 20lb tank just eliminates that completely. I bet a 10lb or 5lb could work too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.