Author Topic: Lakes near Saskatoon  (Read 5204 times)

Offline Fish Master

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Lakes near Saskatoon
« on: Dec 09, 2005, 11:32 AM »
I was wondering if anyone thats familiar with the lakes within a reasonable driving distance of Saskatoon would know which ones would have a decent population of perch and/or walleye. I've tried blackstrap the last 2 days but my efforts have gone unrewarded. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Offline ybone

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lakes near Saskatoon
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2005, 01:09 PM »
I'm thinking of trying Zelma this weekend but am not sure of ice thickness.How many inches is there on Blackstrap?

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2005, 01:29 PM »
I've never been but I here that Lenore Lake east of Saskatoon is good in winter for Perch and Walleye. I haven't had much succes around the city in the past few years for Perch and last year I only managed a few Walleye at the Strap.

APU.
MY NAME IS APU, HOW DO YOU DO, NOW YOU GUNNA DIE!!!!!!

Offline fish nut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2005, 09:52 PM »
there is a place called three lakes or something like that by north batellford that is good for perch.

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2005, 09:55 PM »
Fish Master, where were you fishing on Blackstrap? I'm heading out this weekend. Thanks.

Offline Fish Master

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2005, 10:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys. Zelma sounds tempting, ice thickness being the biggest concern though of course. Where is it exactly, and off of what highway?
     I was at the southwest pumphouse this morning for sun-up, I had one eye on right off the bat at about 9:15 had it right up to the hole before it got off. I've been finding that not only are the fish there hard to catch but landing them with barbless hooks requires alot of skill and patience. I guess I"ll just have to hope for dumb luck. But yeah ice was about 7-10 inches. So I mean its solid. There actually looked to be vehicle tracks out on the ice but I would definetly not recommend that to anyone.
      I think if I end up at the strap tommorow I'll basically work my way down the west side towards the south and try and key on where the walleyes are holding and hopefully find some active fish. But yeah maybe see you guys out there, best of luck to everyone.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2005, 05:31 PM »
Hello everyone. This is my first time on here just stumbled across this site last week.
 I was out to a couple of spots today that arent too far from Saskatoon. Our first stop was Bradwell reservoir and my buddy had a pike on as soon as his pimple and minnow hit bottom.  I had a few nibbles but  caught nothing. The ice is 13 inches measured with my trusty tape measure. We had heard there were some big perch in this reservoir but it was the first time for us to give it a try.  We stayed for a couple of hours then headed over to Zelma. The ice there was only 11 inches and we were surprised to see a couple of trucks out on the ice.  One was over a hundred yards from shore and doing sh.. hookers while pulling someone on a crazy carpet. YIKES!!
  We walked out as we did at Bradwel and had no luck, but it was good to get a line in the water again.
 Next trip we are going to try either Lake Lenore, as we had good luck there in the summer on Walleye, or Last Mountain
  which is closer to where I live and has given up many nice perch over the years.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2005, 05:06 PM »
Welcome anglerbrian, and the rest of the newbies. Good to see some folks getting out and about. I got to soon. :)

WW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.