Author Topic: How much snow?  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
How much snow?
« on: Nov 09, 2005, 12:48 PM »
Hi all, how much snow did everyone receive during our last storm. Yesterday it started early and snowed all day long in my area we received little over 7 inches, how about the rest of you? :)

WW

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: How much snow?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2005, 12:55 PM »
No snow in Cowtown. (Calgary). Just stuff sticking around from a week or so ago.

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2005, 02:33 PM »
Nothin in Saskatoon, we still have some from a week ago but almost gone. I don't want snow till x-mas, no snow means faster and better ice. There calling for -14c overnight on Sunday that should start some decent ice ;D
MY NAME IS APU, HOW DO YOU DO, NOW YOU GUNNA DIE!!!!!!

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2005, 03:14 PM »
posted this last night on the general board.....snowed all day from around 6:00 am until midnight...this shot was taken around 5:30 pm....we got about an additional 6-8 inches on top of what you see.....Fridays accuweather forecast is calling for temps around 6-10C above....no way all this will be gone....one more softwater outing from shore.....Grump                                                                                             

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2005, 07:04 PM »
I hope this snow don't effect our ice quality in our areas Grump.
I wish that large a snow fall would have held off a bit.
:blink:

WW

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2005, 07:52 PM »
WaterWolf....dont worry about snowfall.....it really doesnt affect the ice quality at all....the worst thing that could happen is a very cold night followed by high winds which make frazzle ice that is very rough.....the snow cools surface temps enough that when we get a nice cold calm night, the ice freezes nice and smooth.....(most likely scenario).....last year we had a nice freeze on Lake Dauphin that was followed with very high winds....opened up pretty much the entire lake......one week to the day, BW and I were out on the smooth as glass ice that scared the bejeebers out of you.....looked like frosted window panes......and no depth perception.....trust me.....hope for more snow.......Grump

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2005, 12:28 AM »
OK Grump, will do. ;D

WW

Offline PowerBaitron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2005, 10:39 AM »
 I disagree an early heavy snowfall causes ice underneath to be slushy. A heavy early snowfall insulates the ice and causes slushy ice that is not as strong.

grumpymoe

« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2005, 11:23 AM »
dont worry about snowfall.....it really doesnt affect the ice quality at all....what I neglected to add was "the formation" of ice....yes....once ice is formed, heavy snowfall is not good.....Grump

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2005, 12:38 PM »
We're a ways from freeze-up down here yet.  If we get out in the next 3 weeks we'll be doing good.  The rest of that snow will be melted in a day or two.  What town are you in WW?

The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2005, 08:18 AM »
The weathermen have conspired to make a liar out of me!  We only got 13cm of snow in this last dump compared to the 30 they got in Manitoba but right now it's -28 and dead calm so there should be some skim ice soon.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
How much Ice there Buzzbomb?
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2005, 07:01 PM »
You got any ice out on Long Lake?

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2005, 06:03 AM »
I'm going to check this afternoon when I go hunting.  You know how it freezes from either end towards the middle...... It's getting warm again now so I'm not sure if there will be any as far as Regina Beach yet.  The forcast is for some -12 nights so if it stays calm I think there could be fishable ice in a week or so.   I'll let you know and if I can't make it out for whatever reason I can just phone or e-mail somebody out at Pelican.
There! I just e-mailed Jeffey at the point so we'll know a little later..... but with the above average temps right now I don't really expect much.
Got my answer already, and it's like I figured.... it had frozen around the corner from RB but now it's open again.  Maybe in a week or so.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2005, 02:29 AM »
Thx Buzz, hope it gets cold soon. Be there over Xmas.
Later TJ

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.