Author Topic: Katapwa  (Read 9457 times)

Offline The Spoon

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Katapwa
« Reply #30 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:37 PM »
Anybody else gonna get some fishing done on this lake this weekend!! :tipup:

Offline PIKEARTILLERY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 03, 2011, 06:32 PM »
going out fishing for jack on ketepawa on sunday any good spots out there ? lol

Offline The Spoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 03, 2011, 11:03 PM »
Id have to say anywhere around Katepwa Point i havent had the best of luck with pike on Katepwa over the last couple of years i dont know what it is. All i ever seem to catch are little guys 5 lbs and under, and im a pretty avide tip-up fisherman. I usually hit up mission or echo if i want the big girls.

Offline Sutherby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 04, 2011, 10:05 AM »
Looking for pointers for tip ups. What kind of hooks and bate. Also going around the beach area this weekend. What depth should I fish in?

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #34 on: Feb 04, 2011, 10:23 AM »
Looking for pointers for tip ups. What kind of hooks and bate. Also going around the beach area this weekend. What depth should I fish in?
Check the thread on page 5, " Whats everyone using for hooks". There's a few diff. ideas. I usually put my  :tipup: in the 5-10 ft range. :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline Sutherby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 04, 2011, 11:22 AM »
Thank you bite me 7

Offline Leroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Feb 05, 2011, 09:31 PM »
I'm considering fishing Katepwa tomorrow.  LML hasn't been good to me.  Did anyone fish Katepwa today? If so, is it worth the trek? ie. my wife being choked at me for going fishing two days in a row...hahaha. 

Offline kegra

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 05, 2011, 10:48 PM »
fished Katepwa point this morning and dead. checked out east of the launch to the end of the plowed trail and a few small perch.

Offline Leroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 05, 2011, 11:42 PM »
Thanks for the info!  If it makes you feel better LML was dead today too...everywhere I went, people were talking about how slow it was. 

Offline treeplucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 06, 2011, 07:37 PM »
really slow , afew good perch, one big jack lost at the hole , ice in areas really slushy  so be careful and stay on the the tracks

Offline rockets

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 06, 2011, 09:13 PM »
Fishing has been great on the qu appelle lakes

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #41 on: Feb 06, 2011, 10:28 PM »
Anyone have any luck at Katepwa Beach area this past weekend? ??? :whistle:

Offline The Spoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 07, 2011, 05:51 PM »
I had an above average day on Katepwa Saturday the perch were going crazy for the cocktail shrimp it was like they were at a a buffet. all cuaght in 8.5 to 15ft. so many by the end of the day i had lost count and most of them in the 8-10inch range. I left Katepwa point and moved a little farther east of the point at about 10am. There was a little sketchy ice but it paid off. A friend of mine even lucked out with a 16lbs pike. Sunday was a little slower for the perch its like they shrunk overnight but i did manage 4 burbs and 3 tubes. Has anyone else noticed that theres niot that many Tullibee this year?

Offline The Spoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 07, 2011, 05:56 PM »
I also noticed alot more drunk people on the ice than in the past, and some funny stuff in the air. I know its nice to see younger people getting ther lines wet but keep it in ur shack!!

Offline newbee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 07, 2011, 09:26 PM »
sounds like katapwa has been good this year. Ive never fished it, always fish pasqua, echo, mission. is it easy to find a place to get on the lake? how much further from regina is it?

thanks for any help

Offline finzandpigskinz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 08, 2011, 02:46 PM »
Hey Newbee you can get on the ice at Sandy Bay and the Main Katepwa Beach.  Google it and you'll find it.  It's part of the same chain as the other Qu'Appelle lakes.  Follow trails because that lake has unpredictable ice at times, especially around the points. 

Take Care!

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #46 on: Feb 08, 2011, 03:38 PM »
Anyone have any luck at Katepwa Beach area this past weekend? ??? :whistle:

Had some luck out there tons of decent perch to be had. Nothing like the previous weekend though. We ended up moving away from the park mid morning and did not return for sunday.

I did not see you out there spoon, did you look for the ice cube?

I am hoping the weather co-operates and they turn back on this weekend. I'll be back there for sure.

Offline The Spoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:41 PM »
Yeah i must of missed you. I looked for the cube but did not see ya. Im heading out that direction again this weekend tho so maybe if ur out ill run into you!

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #48 on: Feb 13, 2011, 10:28 PM »
How do you get to the point on the park side? Tried this past weekend from the boat launch but the snow got deep so I turned around! ??? :%$#!: :woot:

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #49 on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:40 AM »
I was out friday, saturday, and sunday on Katepwa. Managed only the odd small perch.

I think next weekend I am going to echo or mission instead. A buddy caught a couple nice dogs on echo last wednesday near ba-say-tah.

Offline The Spoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 15, 2011, 11:07 AM »
@#$$@! ? Where where you fishing Silvah? I had good luck at the one mile marker, notheing really on Saturday but Sunday was a blast. Lots of erthang! The Tulibee were even biting one foot under the hole! Still lotsa water in somespots on the ice so be carefull!!

Offline saskjimmy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 15, 2011, 07:31 PM »
Was at Katepwa this weekend, I had something on my tipup. Fish was pulling pretty good, letting it run, then it felt almost like a snag,  then the line went dead, pulled in and the 30lb leader was gone, just the swivel was left.  arg.  That was the only hit I had on the tipup all day.

Offline aredog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 15, 2011, 09:29 PM »
hey question for u
i been fishing tip ups for a short period of time and honestly i have no luck with them
what the heck does a guy use for lure
i been using smaller smelts on quick strike rig but honestly i never get any action
any pointers?

Offline saskjimmy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 16, 2011, 06:42 AM »
I use the quick strike with about a 6-8" smelt.  I let the smelt thaw then poke small holes in its belly and along the sides with the tip of my knife then apply a bit of pressure until some of the good juice starts flowing out.   Drop her in and let it sink till it hits bottom and pull it up 8".  If perch are being caught in the nearby area I will adjust the depth off the bottom to where they are being caught.

Offline Uzo/21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 17, 2011, 07:37 AM »
Been hammering the fish off the main beach at Katapwa for 3 days now.......PK lure flutterfish .......caught 3 pike, 2 walleye, 1 burbot, and tons of perch.....nothing huge.... but still tons of fun and some good eating..........In fairness, I'm cutting lots of holes and using my Showdown 5.6....caught the ice fishing bug this year and I'm hooked.

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 17, 2011, 07:53 AM »
Welcome to the world of ice fishing Uzo/21. Enjoy.

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #56 on: Feb 17, 2011, 09:38 AM »
Been hammering the fish off the main beach at Katapwa for 3 days now.......PK lure flutterfish .......caught 3 pike, 2 walleye, 1 burbot, and tons of perch.....nothing huge.... but still tons of fun and some good eating..........In fairness, I'm cutting lots of holes and using my Showdown 5.6....caught the ice fishing bug this year and I'm hooked.
Nice to see that it picked up there again. The weekend wasnt so great. Maybe I will go back to the point this weekend after all!

Offline Uzo/21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 17, 2011, 11:31 AM »
My own problem is  I had alot of fish that I could not land....had tons of nibbling and was not able to set the hook......they would tap the minnow head a few times, clean it off the hook and that would be it....for the life of me i can't sort out how to keep the bait on snug....I even tried pulling the hook off and setting the minnow head over the middle and still they would dine and dash.....any suggestions?....its frustrating being a rookie.

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #58 on: Feb 17, 2011, 12:06 PM »
My own problem is  I had alot of fish that I could not land....had tons of nibbling and was not able to set the hook......they would tap the minnow head a few times, clean it off the hook and that would be it....for the life of me i can't sort out how to keep the bait on snug....I even tried pulling the hook off and setting the minnow head over the middle and still they would dine and dash.....any suggestions?....its frustrating being a rookie.
I would try perch eyeballs, or use only half a minnow. Sometimes the smaller guys can be real thieves but it will be harder for them to rob you if you use smaller bait. The perch eyes especially stay on well. You can often fish a whole day on the same eyeball.

Offline treeplucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 17, 2011, 01:53 PM »
try hooking your minnow head right threw both eyes ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.