Author Topic: Katapwa  (Read 9456 times)

Offline treeplucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Katapwa
« on: Jan 20, 2011, 09:28 AM »
Do Not hear much about this lake on this site , I have been lucky with perch in about 10 to 12 feet o0f water, over by pelican point they are hammering big pike. Anybody have any other reports on this lake or area ::)

Offline Pants

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing and share our sport!
Re: Katapwa
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2011, 10:03 AM »
Maybe I am just not in the know about names on the lakes down here, but I thought that Pelican Point was on Last Mountain Lake NW of Regina beach and Katepwa was in the chain of lakes by Fort Qu'Appelle.
Teach your children, but never be afraid to let them teach you

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2011, 01:22 PM »
im with you pants

Offline treeplucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2011, 01:30 PM »
the locals call it pelican point, ??? on the lake maps it is called lakeview beach. It is directly across from the provincal park point

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2011, 02:57 PM »
the locals call it pelican point, ??? on the lake maps it is called lakeview beach. It is directly across from the provincal park point

That is Taylor Point you are referring to I believe.

Also, it is Katepwa, not Katapwa :P

Offline snuff

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Katepwa
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2011, 03:32 PM »
The locals do call it Pelican Point.

Its where the pelicans from Long Lake stop when they are on vacation.
Snuff

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2011, 06:20 AM »
Ketepwa is an awsome lake for late winter perch and smaller walleye. Im heading out there today. Ive always found that it heats up during the January lull. I usually go just outside of Lebret near the cabins on the side near the highway and hammer perch in the 50 ft range. I do catch the odd walleye as well but they are usually very small.

MikeMiller

« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2011, 07:55 AM »
50 ft i know how that is good fishing there no catch and release there lol

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2011, 09:49 AM »
50 ft i know how that is good fishing there no catch and release there lol
The tullibee go back from that deep just fine ;)

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2011, 11:19 AM »
Ketepwa is an awsome lake for late winter perch and smaller walleye. Im heading out there today. Ive always found that it heats up during the January lull. I usually go just outside of Lebret near the cabins on the side near the highway and hammer perch in the 50 ft range. I do catch the odd walleye as well but they are usually very small.
So u must be between Lebret and Sandy Bay then? Are they good sized perch at least? I've been fishing on the east side of Sandy Bay and perch are all small. :'( ???

Offline eyecatcher00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2011, 06:00 AM »
was out yesterday, beautiful weather. to many perch and tullabye to count, two walleye, 7 burbot and 5 pike. All pike were over 35 inch, biggest was around 23 or 24 lbs. Heading out again right now to see if we can get back onto them.

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2011, 06:50 AM »
Now that's a good day. way to go eyecatcher!
Still counting.....

Offline finzandpigskinz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2011, 07:56 AM »
I have been out there twice this week and could have limited out on perch both days if they weren't cut short.  Most of my keepers were any were from 8-14 inches.  Got two walleye and I'm sure on the flasher there were many more I just couldn't dangle the hook properly for them to bite.  Got three small pike, and a 30 inch burbot.  The burbot gave me a great fight!  Saw a monster pike on the camera but he wasn't interested in my hook.  Katepwa is always a producer and with it's depth reaching near 85 feet in places and the bundance of forage and small perch there has to be some big fish in there.  In all my 20 years of fishing there I have never been skunked on the ice.  I took my daughter out yesterday and I knew she would catch something on her first trip and I was right!

Offline eyecatcher00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2011, 10:20 PM »
did you get a weight for that burbot? good to see the kids getting involved as well. Was a hurricane out there today. Used every peg i had and i still thought the tent was going to blow away. tons of perch and a 15 lb pike

Offline finzandpigskinz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2011, 08:44 AM »
No weight I forgot my scale..  It was a hog though, it gave me good fight too!! I thought it was a ten plus northern for sure till my bro told me it was the biggest Doggy he had ever seen ..  woof woof!!  I love catching those things, eating them and releasing them back to catch again.  Also about releasing fish from the deep, I usually have good success reeling in slow when I feel its a smaller fish.  They either fall off the hook for me or the slow retrieve helps them somewhat adjust to the pressure changes.  It doesn't always work but I would give it a shot, and if it doesn't work push em down with the ice scooper and they should be good or good eats for a pike or walleye. 

Later!

Offline treeplucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2011, 10:14 AM »
was out yesterday by the look out just off the highway before the village, when walking out stepped into water, went out about 200 yards started drilling ,it was slush all the way when drilling you would think it was late march, anybody else find these conditions,the bite was really slow :'(

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2011, 10:21 AM »
was out yesterday by the look out just off the highway before the village, when walking out stepped into water, went out about 200 yards started drilling ,it was slush all the way when drilling you would think it was late march, anybody else find these conditions,the bite was really slow :'(

The water is comming up from the drilled holes or pressure cracks. Ive heard this happens from heavy flow and the weight of snow on the ice?? The ice is super thick.

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2011, 10:54 AM »
We had really good success at Katepwa point this weekend. Caught fish all day long in 10-14 feet of water. 8 nice walleye in the 2-5lb range, 3 little pike, a couple burbot, and too many jumbo perch to count. Constant action all day except for the 2pm lull.

I am not sure how anyone else made out this weekend but we were on some hot holes. Hopefully it continues, I am planning another trip to Katepwa point this weekend. It might be time to bust out the :tipup:.

Good luck!

Offline The Spoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2011, 12:18 PM »
Hey silvah do u mind if i ask what you where using for a lure/bait combo? And maybe if its ok can i tag along whith u or ur party? Can anyone tell me if they been catching off KBK?

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2011, 01:09 PM »
Hey silvah do u mind if i ask what you where using for a lure/bait combo? And maybe if its ok can i tag along whith u or ur party? Can anyone tell me if they been catching off KBK?

I use a lot of different jigs throughout the day.

A recent producer has been the PK spoons, 3/8 size. I take all the hardware off the spoon and put a single hook on the bottom eyelet. Usually tipped with small strips of tullibee or the head off a medium sized smelt. They say not to put bait on the things but I have had way more success on the single baited hook.  Coctail shrimp have been working well for smaller eyes and perch.

You could probably come out with us. We could meet at the bar and head out. Either that or just come find us. We will be fishing out of a black ice cube popup tent.

Offline The Spoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2011, 01:21 PM »
Thats awesome. Ill have to try that if i dont get out with you on the weekend its only Monday, god knows what the girlfriend has planned for the weekend!! ???

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2011, 02:45 PM »
I think you will like it. Let me know if it works out!

Offline Sutherby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2011, 04:46 PM »
We had really good success at Katepwa point this weekend. Caught fish all day long in 10-14 feet of water. 8 nice walleye in the 2-5lb range, 3 little pike, a couple burbot, and too many jumbo perch to count. Constant action all day except for the 2pm lull.

I am not sure how anyone else made out this weekend but we were on some hot holes. Hopefully it continues, I am planning another trip to Katepwa point this weekend. It might be time to bust out the :tipup:.

Good luck!
[/What are you calling Katapwa point? Provincial park side?

Offline The Spoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2011, 05:01 PM »
I was hoping silvah was talking about the Provincial park side.

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2011, 05:12 PM »
What are you calling Katapwa point? Provincial park side?

Both sides of the point have had action, but specifically I was referring to the park side.

Offline eyecatcher00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2011, 04:45 AM »
went out yesterday afternoon for a few hours. damn cold out there. managed some perch and way to many tullabye. Had a flag set out for 15 minutes and got a nice healthy pike just over 18 pounds.  The line on the tip up froze so fast that i gave up puttin the flag back out.

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:19 AM »
went out yesterday afternoon for a few hours. damn cold out there. managed some perch and way to many tullabye. Had a flag set out for 15 minutes and got a nice healthy pike just over 18 pounds.  The line on the tip up froze so fast that i gave up puttin the flag back out.
Pretty much need a thremal tip up with this weather!

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #27 on: Feb 01, 2011, 04:34 PM »
Hi Silvah,
How thick is the ice around the point where you were?
I remember fishing in that area a few winters ago and the ice in that area I was went from 14" in the bit deeper water to 6" just off the point. :o

WW

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2011, 04:48 PM »
Hi Silvah,
How thick is the ice around the point where you were?
I remember fishing in that area a few winters ago and the ice in that area I was went from 14" in the bit deeper water to 6" just off the point. :o

WW

I didn't go near the actual point, I was just referring to the general area as "the point". Generally the ice is 18-24" thick... aside from the high current spots like points and inlets/outlets/springs.

Do not go to near any points on your vehicle on the ice. this year in the qu'appelle system especially. The water is flowing through the lakes and it makes for dangerous conditions where the water is flowing heavily under the ice.

Stay safe out there!

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:09 PM »
I didn't go near the actual point, I was just referring to the general area as "the point". Generally the ice is 18-24" thick... aside from the high current spots like points and inlets/outlets/springs.

Do not go to near any points on your vehicle on the ice. this year in the qu'appelle system especially. The water is flowing through the lakes and it makes for dangerous conditions where the water is flowing heavily under the ice.

Stay safe out there!

This goes for any points, on any lakes.
Regina Beach point has ppl going thru it many times a year
Pelican point, 1 or 2 a year.
River inlets on the fishing lakes,
Deif, springs, inlet, ...think, look, listen.
Im out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.