New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: small boat harbor  (Read 20111 times)

FrankM

Re: small boat harbor
« Reply #120 on: Feb 06, 2014, 01:43 PM »
Can we get back to the fishing reports on the harbor please
You will find it in the fishing reports section.

Offline billyjoejim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #121 on: Feb 07, 2014, 12:39 PM »
Went out twice over the last week.

Spent 3 hours with the son and a friend on Saturday Feb 1st only had 1 keeper - but it was the 1st time with the boy on hard water.  He ended up wearing boots too small for his feet so they started getting cold so we had to head in early - went right to Gander Mtn and bought him a new pair to wear.

Spent 7 hours with a friend on Tuesday Feb 4th - had 5 keepers and a bunch of dinks during the 5 hours or so in the open area instead of the harbor itself.  Moved into the harbor to where the crappies are usually caught and didn't have a bite the entire time (2 hours).

Ice was around 14 inches or so thick in both places, though I heard the ice "cracking" when I was in the harbor.  Didn't see or feel any real movement or anything, and wind was only 3-4 mph when I heard the cracking sound, but I wasn't happy hearing those noises.

As a rookie on hard-water, what causes those sounds when the ice is clearly thick enough not to crack from my weight?

Offline oleanjeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #122 on: Feb 07, 2014, 12:40 PM »
It is definitely making more ice! No, not from you.

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #123 on: Feb 07, 2014, 12:59 PM »
Went out twice over the last week.

Spent 3 hours with the son and a friend on Saturday Feb 1st only had 1 keeper - but it was the 1st time with the boy on hard water.  He ended up wearing boots too small for his feet so they started getting cold so we had to head in early - went right to Gander Mtn and bought him a new pair to wear.

Spent 7 hours with a friend on Tuesday Feb 4th - had 5 keepers and a bunch of dinks during the 5 hours or so in the open area instead of the harbor itself.  Moved into the harbor to where the crappies are usually caught and didn't have a bite the entire time (2 hours).

Ice was around 14 inches or so thick in both places, though I heard the ice "cracking" when I was in the harbor.  Didn't see or feel any real movement or anything, and wind was only 3-4 mph when I heard the cracking sound, but I wasn't happy hearing those noises.

As a rookie on hard-water, what causes those sounds when the ice is clearly thick enough not to crack from my weight?
It is making more ice. The ice that's there doesn't have anywhere to go so the popping and cracking is just the ice adjusting.
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline bobdboater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Feb 07, 2014, 01:00 PM »
The ice is expanding and it is causing it to crack and make loud whomping noises. Don't worry it's safe.
A bad day fishing is better than being at work.

Offline billyjoejim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #125 on: Feb 07, 2014, 01:00 PM »
Thanks.

Forgot to mention that I had 3 tip-ups setup on both Saturday and Tuesday with about 8 inch suckers and didn't get a hit on either day.  Saw a guy on Tuesday with a nice pike but that's it.

How often are pike caught in SBH and is there something I should be doing?

Also - how many tip-ups are allowed per person?  I think I heard you were allowed 5 tip-ups, 1 "dead-stick" and 1 jigging rod - is that correct?

thanks guys

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Feb 07, 2014, 01:04 PM »
Thanks.

Forgot to mention that I had 3 tip-ups setup on both Saturday and Tuesday with about 8 inch suckers and didn't get a hit on either day.  Saw a guy on Tuesday with a nice pike but that's it.

How often are pike caught in SBH and is there something I should be doing?

Also - how many tip-ups are allowed per person?  I think I heard you were allowed 5 tip-ups, 1 "dead-stick" and 1 jigging rod - is that correct?

thanks guys
You can have 5 tip-ups or tip-downs and 3 handlines (poles).
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline billyjoejim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #127 on: Feb 07, 2014, 01:07 PM »
You can have 5 tip-ups or tip-downs and 3 handlines (poles).

Thanks for the info !!

Offline bobdboater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #128 on: Feb 07, 2014, 02:55 PM »
Also I believe the ruling is no more than 15 points on the tip ups. To explain, they are saying you are only  allowed only one treble hook per tip up.
A bad day fishing is better than being at work.

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #129 on: Feb 07, 2014, 03:07 PM »
Also I believe the ruling is no more than 15 points on the tip ups. To explain, they are saying you are only  allowed only one treble hook per tip up.

Not true.....

No person shall operate a tip‑up that has more than 5 lures or baits or a combination of both, or has more than 15 hook points in any combination of single, double or treble hooks.

Key word being "a"....
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline chryniewicz8888

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #130 on: Feb 14, 2014, 05:52 PM »
Hey dose anyone know if ya can go out on Eire basin I know this year no pond hockey. I drive down there few weeks back I seen a Jersey bearers up blocking launch but didn't know if anyone was out on it? If you can be out in it? Nd how was the fishing was if anyone has?

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #131 on: Feb 15, 2014, 12:39 AM »
Hey dose anyone know if ya can go out on Eire basin I know this year no pond hockey. I drive down there few weeks back I seen a Jersey bearers up blocking launch but didn't know if anyone was out on it? If you can be out in it? Nd how was the fishing was if anyone has?
I don't think the people in the restaurant and the apartments surrounding the place would appreciate the garbage the ice men seem to leave behind (and the urinating right out in the open  :blink:), as so happens at small boat
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline chryniewicz8888

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #132 on: Feb 15, 2014, 05:34 AM »
I never leave garbage I hate when ppl do that's what will ruin things in long run anywhere and yea I could see peeing thing

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #133 on: Feb 15, 2014, 11:12 AM »
I never leave garbage I hate when ppl do that's what will ruin things in long run anywhere and yea I could see peeing thing
Bring a bottle and pee in a bottle in your shanty... :roflmao:

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #134 on: Feb 15, 2014, 04:45 PM »
Bring a bottle and pee in a bottle in your shanty... :roflmao:
LMAO ... I'm not saying it bothers me as I do it too, just that the restaurant has wedding parties and whatever else and the people in those condos may have issues with that. my point is, if it gets out of control, we will get the boot. there are already coded gates for the docks too, thus keeping people off the docks in the fall and spring. I'm guessing they are not too keen on people being on the ice there too. your better off staying at SBH. less chance of a problem

Offline chryniewicz8888

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #135 on: Feb 15, 2014, 06:54 PM »
Jw if anyone goes there and small boat harbor has gates lake that also when the docks are in.

Offline Locoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #136 on: Feb 15, 2014, 07:33 PM »
Jw if anyone goes there and small boat harbor has gates lake that also when the docks are in.

What he said ::)
><> I was born to be a FISHERMAN !!!! <><

Offline fishin716

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #137 on: Feb 15, 2014, 08:22 PM »
 I pee outside the hut at the sbh but the garbage people leave is unnecessary. Wasn't that many people there today and somebody threw all sorts of Timmy hos crap all over. Wasn't there that long but managed to get a few dink perch and pumpkin seeds.

Offline Doorman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #138 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:24 PM »
Went out on harbor on Sunday morning at 7.  No one there yet.  Crossed old pier on north side of channel.  tough drag over and many drifts.  Well worth the trip.  Fished 30' with emeralds and got 15 keepers.  2 were 12 plus and rest in the 11 range.  Tossed backed about 40 dinks.  Bite was generally lite,  had to let them suck on minnow a bit and then hook them.  Decided to walk around the pier on way back.  Longer, but easier.

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #139 on: Feb 18, 2014, 01:06 AM »
Guys,
           If the garbage bothers you that much just bag it up and dispose of it when you get off the ice,I pick trash all the time and also about 20 miles of fishing line,it also emboldens me to speak up when I see guys leaving trash behind.

FN

Offline navychief

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #140 on: Feb 18, 2014, 06:28 AM »
Doorman what pier are you crossing??

Offline Doorman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #141 on: Feb 18, 2014, 06:49 AM »
The one on the right side of channel in front of the silos.  Head out of the harbor go outside the first break wall.  Go around the pier.  It is much easier.

Offline 04toyota79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #142 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:15 AM »
I tried out there on sat(2/15/14) could find fish to save my life. We tried all sort of lure/bait combos...nothing. Moved to around 10' of water and couldn't keep the dinks off the hook. Damned if you do, damned if you don't!!

Offline urbansteelheader

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #143 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:30 AM »
He is in the freezer qeen inlet

Offline 04toyota79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #144 on: Feb 18, 2014, 01:38 PM »
Your talking the opposite side of freezer queen??

Offline wfdiv9pt135

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #145 on: Feb 18, 2014, 02:09 PM »
I think he's talking about over on the left by the grain towers.  If you read my post I. Think you'll see what he is saying.  If. I'm correct. 

Offline Bigguy560

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #146 on: Feb 18, 2014, 03:42 PM »
Good advice

Offline Doorman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #147 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:50 PM »
I was at inlet between Nano Dynamics bldg. and grain silos on right side looking out to lake.  Go out the channel out of harbor and go right over pier or around.  I was in 30" of water. 

Offline Iceline

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #148 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:07 PM »
I'm trying to picture your position. If I am standing in front of the silos, you're fishing on the right where the ship was inside the south gap.........?

Even eminent chartered accountants are known, in their capacity as fishermen, blissfully to ignore differences between seven and ten inches, half a pound and two pounds, three fish and a dozen fish.

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #149 on: Feb 19, 2014, 01:32 AM »
that's not a grain silo. that's the old "freezer queen" factory. the only silo there is at south end marina near the south gap, where there is NO Nano dynamic building. he is talking about the small canal just north of the harbor between FQ and Nano

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.