The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Upper red trip  (Read 2197 times)

Offline killermike

• IceShanty Rookie
Upper red trip
« on: Dec 22, 2017, 04:03 PM »
As the threads like this go we are heading up in a week for 3 days of fishing.  We are renting a sleeper from portavilla.  We have are from central Iowa and typically bluegill and crappie.  Any suggestions on areas to drill some holes if the sleeper isn’t producing.  We will have our portables and are used to drilling a lot of holes to find fish.  I have watched every YouTube i can find on the lake.  Lake map info seems to be limited with only being able to access half the lake.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Ethan C

• IceShanty Rookie
  • We need some ice!!!
Re: Upper red trip
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2017, 06:06 PM »
All I can tell you is get away from the crowd. Red lake is going to have about 15 million permanents on it when you get there. A lot of times the people pulling permanents out don’t want to get more then a mile from shore or so. I would get offshore further then that. Be careful about going that far out if you’re driving a vehicle out there. I’m not sure how far the plowed road is going right now.
Where's the ice bro?

Offline killermike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2017, 03:42 PM »
Thanks for the reply ethan

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2017, 05:25 PM »
Upper red doesnt have much structure, its kinda just one big shallow bowl.  As said before, try stay away from the crowds.

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2018, 08:02 PM »
Use to live in Wisconsin and fish Upper Red every year for crappies back in the day when that's all there was in the lake.  Like the others said, there will be tons of shacks and people so do separate yourself from the noise.  Also as mentioned, not much structure, pretty flat bottom.  Since you like whole hoping, any ice heaves are about the only structure you'll find on the lake and can be very productive because the heaves also extend bellow the ice giving you a means of structure.  The fish find it attractive as well and generally before dark, walleyes can be caught one after another. Not sure what the crappie population is anymore but generally when you find them, they are still good size.  Be safe.

Offline blacktruck121212

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2018, 11:29 AM »
Where is the best/cheapest place to stay around Red Lake? Thanks in advance for the info.

Offline Jazzy_Rugger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:10 AM »
Where is the best/cheapest place to stay around Red Lake? Thanks in advance for the info.
Just drive the extra 2 hours to LOW it is worth it!

Offline Lamppa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2018, 11:22 AM »
Just drive the extra 2 hours to LOW it is worth it!

I disagree.   Without some guidance, LOW can be too big to find fish.  Upper red can produce great walleye without knowing where to go.   Look near the river inlets all along the east and south east shore.  Pick one of those areas.  Drill a hole, find APPX 10’ of water and rattle your spoon until something happens.   

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2018, 11:35 AM »

http://web.paulbunyan.net/shookmtl/  Not a bad place.

WS

Offline Lamppa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2018, 07:40 AM »

http://web.paulbunyan.net/shookmtl/  Not a bad place.

WS

I second this.    You can go north to west wind or south to JRs to fish.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.