New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: “SANDY POND “by Boggey  (Read 131478 times)

Offline raudlin

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: “SANDY POND “by Boggey
« Reply #240 on: Feb 21, 2021, 06:17 AM »
    Thanks for the update Mr. Boggey. So very glad you had no bad side effects from shot number 2.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #241 on: Feb 21, 2021, 06:45 AM »
Boggey, you gotta love those kind of days. Back in the mid 70's I fished Conesus almost every weekend. Not the numbers like you did, but some very nice perch. We would stop and have breakfast in Lakeville and then hit the lake. Some days there would be a thousand fishermen on the lake. Those were the days. 3lb. coffee can with 2 or 3 charcoal briquets to warm you hands....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #242 on: Feb 21, 2021, 03:05 PM »
Slow to no bite on the  Rock Pile. Cold as heck at  6:45 but got decent. Not sure what the bite was about high pressure ? East wind?

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline BJSClamMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #243 on: Feb 21, 2021, 03:12 PM »
Its all my fault , I didn’t call Boggey before showing up to Sandy Pond today unannounced 😔 I fished straight out from Stanley on the 12 ft hole. Marcum showed Fish all day, only caught 2 worth keeping the the rest were about as long as my swear finger 🤣

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #244 on: Feb 21, 2021, 04:18 PM »
Well then you have some super power I wasn’t on the Pond. Thanks a lot 😀😀😀😎

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #245 on: Feb 21, 2021, 05:17 PM »
Boggey, you gotta love those kind of days. Back in the mid 70's I fished Conesus almost every weekend. Not the numbers like you did, but some very nice perch. We would stop and have breakfast in Lakeville and then hit the lake. Some days there would be a thousand fishermen on the lake. Those were the days. 3lb. coffee can with 2 or 3 charcoal briquets to warm you hands....h2l

Yo Doug,

I love hearing about your fishing exploits my friend. In fact, you and Oldtimer could write a collection of short stories to entertain us all. Guys like you and Dave tell us “ the way it used to be” and regal us with the rich history and fishing lore that make  up the fabric of our present day desire to be good stewerts of the traditions you guys have set fourth.

Speaking not just for me ,but many of your fellow fishermen and fisherwomen, your recollections of the bygone years are not just interesting, they are educational and ofttimes captivating. Don’t be hesitant to share them. We love to hear them.

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #246 on: Feb 21, 2021, 05:25 PM »
Its all my fault , I didn’t call Boggey before showing up to Sandy Pond today unannounced 😔 I fished straight out from Stanley on the 12 ft hole. Marcum showed Fish all day, only caught 2 worth keeping the the rest were about as long as my swear finger 🤣

Yo Brant,

It seems we have been planning to cut some ice together for ten years now and yet it seems we run out of time or ice. Let’s double down our efforts my friend. Maybe Chippewa before we lose the ice eh? You can show me that “honey hole” you are always talking about.👍👍. PM me bud

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #247 on: Feb 21, 2021, 05:41 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

It was a great day on the Pond. The slush had a crust on it this morning due to last nights single digit temps. It was cold in the early morning hours but warmed to a brilliant sunny day with nothing but blue skys and light wind.

Heck we had an air show of sorts. We had 4 planes land on the ice over by the wigwam. My son and youngest grandson came out on the ice with me. My 3 year old, Mick caught his first 2 perch. Great day, Dad and Poppy forgot to take pictures. Bummer.  Chalk it up to halfzimmers to me. Don’t know what my sons excuse is. Light bite but 3 generations of the Boggey clan managed 14 keepers and one free filleting course.😀😀😀

Boggey

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #248 on: Feb 21, 2021, 06:20 PM »
Bog, while sitting here in the 70 degree Fl. Weather, i enjoy reading about your daily ice fishing success and failures.  On the other thread there is a lot of grumbling about the recent slush making it hard going for sleds and wheelers.  That was never a problem back kn the 40s and 50s... slush, yes, we had it lots of it some years. Solution was to get out the snow shoes. The discussion now is which is the best machine.  Back then it was which is the best snowshoe. The Bear Paw (round ) or the long ones, think they were trail or something like that.  The long narrow ones were for open going the round for the woods.  I still preferred the round ones , had to spread your legs out and the first time using them in the season really sored the inside muscles of your legs up but they never sunk in much and seldom to the slush.  Woven back pack, snow shoes, bucket of minnows in one hand, spud in the other and you were off across the lake , chatting to a companion as you went or counting your steps. I remember the first tip-up was usually 400 steps.  Good times, no worry about broken belts, motors not starting, tracks setting up for lack of lubrication, getting stuck in the slush, Auger motors and drill batteries going dead, heaters tipping over, sonars not working, cell phones falling through holes, parking lots filling up with trailers. Man power is a great thing.  And now with the social media it seems fishermen have a reputation to develop and maintain, all judged, not by the good time they had but by the pile of fish they can put on the ice.   
Ice fishing may have a lot of things going for it now but it will never top the good times of days gone by.  At least for me.   Just seems to be a lot of drama....     sorry for the rant, guess the new age has just past me by. 
Good fishing to all, be safe...   

Offline panfishing pirate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #249 on: Feb 21, 2021, 07:27 PM »
Great post old timer...its a fast pace world we live in today and everyone wants instant grattification overnight...most times i prefer just a auger bucket and pole... thats the way i was taught, from one of the best..
nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #250 on: Feb 21, 2021, 07:59 PM »
Oldtimer, I’ve said it before and, I’ll say it again now. You, my friend, are one of the original diehards. And, I’ve always enjoyed your stories. I go fishing when I can and am quite happy being on the ice for a day of solitude. If I catch fish, that’s a bonus. I give reports when I can and try to elude myself of all of the drama that people have brought in to this sport. That FB cryhards crap I can live without. Everyone claiming they’re a “Diehard”! They have no clue what You and your generation endured out there to enjoy a day of fishing. I have the machines, heaters, electronics etc.... to fish with. But, I’ll never forget, at a very young age, what my uncle taught me about ice fishing Oneida Lake. Spud, bucket with bait and a few rods. It was tough, but, I’ve stuck at it till today. Life is Good! Sorry to hijack into your thread Boggey!! Carry on fellas!!😎
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #251 on: Feb 22, 2021, 04:52 AM »
Yo Oldtimer,

Now that’s what I’m talking about my friend. I, we are all richer for your sharing tales of yesteryears. You are one of the true treasures on this forum.

Yo Kp,

You my friend are one of the true gentlemen Of the ice fishing forums who try to keep our threads positive. You can add substance to my thread anytime you want.

Boggey

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #252 on: Feb 22, 2021, 07:06 AM »
I dont personally know many if only a few of you ice clowns. That being said got brought up with a fishing pole in my hand . Mom and Dad loved to fish. big water Cape Vincent..Wolfe Island, Charity Shoals etc...Only been ice fishing about 15 years. I will say a shanty with the heat on is sweet. My hands get so damn cold. I do love the outdoors fishing hunting boating mowing the lawn gardening. All that BS to say do love fishing but i also love to catch.... Lets make a pact for next year...We have a guys get together on the Pond circle the shantys..cook in the middle...we can pick a Saturday or Sunday and go for it....oh yeah maybe a couple cold ones too.

Offline IRISH56

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #253 on: Feb 22, 2021, 08:20 AM »
Beautiful day on the Pond yesterday ... fish could have been a little more agreeable, only managed a few keeper perch and a 28" pike.  Struggled a little getting off the ice with the UTV ... need some chains or better yet some tracks for next year  :o :o .

What's up with the planes??  Low fly-bys over us a few times in front of wigwam.  Occasionally see one or two on Cayuga L but what are they doing??  Just folks with too much time and money must be ...........

Probably the last trip to Sandy for the year unless the ice sheet hardens up.

DAN

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #254 on: Feb 22, 2021, 08:22 AM »
Kracken...New Old Guy...Oldtimer...KingP erch...PanfishPirate and others...

The reason that I SO ENJOY this forum - is because it takes me back to simple(r) times.  I so so enjoy the stories about your time on yesteryears ice.

I do not have the wealth of experience that you all may have - but I do have a wealth of memories dating back to the 70's and time spent on Oneida Lake with my Grandfather - a WWII Aviator.  Gramps taught me how to fish through the ice back in the day.  We walked through slush fields out of Smalley's - which is now Constantia Cove (I believe)...we had hand augers...perch eyes...and a pole tipped with a Swedish pimple.  That's it.

Sometimes we hit them and filled a bucket - other times not so much.  As a boy - I remember that food - ANY food - never tasted so good as it did on the ice.

We'd talk about fish stories from his home in Chenango Bridge - all the way to Oneida and back - then clean fish until 2 a.m.

My Grandfather also took me Brook trout fishing in Potter County, PA where he owned a camp...we also went deer hunting there.

Back in NY...we ran Beagles in Field Trials.  He had 2 champions.  We hunted rabbits, ducks and geese, Grouse, Timber Doodles and squirrel.

He taught me how to boat with annual trips to DeLaverendrye Reserve in Quebec - staying at the Deer Horn Lodge where we would catch Walleye and Northern until our arms were tired.

I tell you all this - because it was reading all of the "Old School" posts that reminded me of ALL of the great memories he created for me - using the most rudimentary equipment possible.  There were no machines, heaters, shanty's or electronics.  I do employ (and enjoy) all of those things now - but Grampa did not.

I am also reminded - that I need to make the time to call my grandfather tonight after work - he's 98 years old and sharp as a tack!  Unfortunately I cannot visit him in person - but I have just visited with him in my mind.

Thank you for that, gentlemen...thank you for reminding me of all that I have received from that man...and the wisdom he departed on me...My only wish - is that I have half of the impact on my own grandchildren as Gramps had on me.

My Camp in Sandy Pond...my boat...my gun cabinet and my ice fishing gear are filled with reminders from him and the singular reason I am an outdoorsman today.

My own grandkids are infants - but the day is soon coming when I can take them fishing too.

I envy the Grandpa's that are taking their grandkids fishing...keep up the good work - and YES...WE SHOULD ORGANIZE AN "ON ICE GATHERING" - let's do it!!!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #255 on: Feb 22, 2021, 09:02 AM »
Boggy, thanks for the kind words. Haven't ice fished in about 4 years, the wife wasn't happy with me going by myself. Sure hope we can get that Summer trip in this year. We should be able to fill the boat with some great stories and maybe even a walleye or two...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #256 on: Feb 22, 2021, 12:16 PM »
Yo Arkangle,

I’ve often been told, “you are an old softy”. Well my new friend, you have certainly warmed my heart with your words of praise of your grandpa. Couldn’t get through your post without a tear welling in my eyes.

Your grandpa filled your heart and memories of him with the same ambitions you and I are tasked to extend to our children and grandkids.
Kudos to you for sharing your story with us. Your Grandpa sounds like someone I would surely like to meet. You are blessed to have him in your life. I pray you can successfully emulate the gift he has given  you to pass on to your progeny.

Thank you

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #257 on: Feb 23, 2021, 06:36 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Didn’t get out yesterday. Not on the Pond at least. Busy shoveling that NEW 6 inches of heavy snow from my driveway. More to come today. Wet heavy snow. I will get out at noon and make a conditions report. Not a lot of comfort in the ten day forecast.

Boggey

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #258 on: Feb 23, 2021, 06:49 AM »
ARKANGEL THAT IS  ONE OF THE  NICEST POST I HAVE  EVER READ ....THANK YOU FOR REMINDING ALL OF US ,WE HAVE A  HERITAGE !   YOU BE  SURE TO CALL GRANDPA  AND I SURELY HOPE YOU GET TO VISIT WITH HIM REAL SOON .......

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #259 on: Feb 23, 2021, 10:49 AM »
Boggy, thanks for the kind words. Haven't ice fished in about 4 years, the wife wasn't happy with me going by myself. Sure hope we can get that Summer trip in this year. We should be able to fill the boat with some great stories and maybe even a walleye or two...h2l

Yo h2

I’m all for that my friend. I’ll warn you though, the great Sacandaga has not been kind to me. With a guide like you I am sure to change my luck eh?

Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #260 on: Feb 23, 2021, 02:03 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Took a quick ride out on the Pond from Cove Road ramp. Went toward center of Pond straight out from Sebor Shores.
Cut 2 holes. Each hole had 5 inches of heavy wet snow over 6 inches of heavier slush over 10 inches of hard ice.

Saw only 6 shanties at my end of the Pond. It was snowing and raining at the same time. It was 36 degrees at 1:30. Slush field xs 2. Even sleds are going to have to keep up their speed going through that slush.

Stopped and talked to a young couple. Tyler and Katy who were cutting some holes and setting up for the afternoon bite. As Dom is fond of saying , converted a couple of strangers into new friends. Their hole depths confirmed my observations. Back to camp, chipping ice off the eves and shoveling the driveway. Got to cut some ice tomorrow. Going to fish with my bud Stelladog somewhere out west?

Boggey

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #261 on: Feb 24, 2021, 12:32 PM »
Trapper...New Old Guy...

I wonder why - we all get this type of strong reaction when we talk about our Grandfathers.  Is it because times were much more simple?

Is it because they lived through the Great Depression...maybe even the Spanish Flu?

Was it simplicity?  Or was it because they had to FEED themselves and their families by hunting and fishing?  Sports that we do for recreation.

Nevertheless...To all of us Grandfathers - past and present.  Thanks for the memories and the education...and may the torch be passed.

FISH ON!!!

PS...on a lighter note - I did forget to add on a previous post that my 98 year old grandfather...has a girlfriend.  Not Kidding.

Think Burgess Merideth in "Grumpy Old Men"...there ya go...
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #262 on: Feb 24, 2021, 12:45 PM »
 :thumbsup: :clap:

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #263 on: Feb 24, 2021, 02:30 PM »
70 years ago my father told me. “Its one thing to want something and not be able to afford it, but it is totally different to need something and not be able to afford it”...    we all have lived through some darned good times.... fish on...

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #264 on: Feb 24, 2021, 04:14 PM »
I really enjoyed catching up on the posts of the last few days.  My grandfather is the one that got me into fishing and ice fishing back in the late 60's.  I have many fond memories of just him and I out and about.  I have tried to share that with my two daughters on our fishing expeditions through the years.  I still recall taking my youngest ice fishing on Braddock's Bay for perch when she was in kindergarten.  At the end of the fishing she had me 12 to 0.  Now I might have been a little busy baiting hooks, etc. but she still beat me good.  She looked at me and said "Dad, you can say you caught some of these".  I became a grandfather myself first time this week.  Can't wait to bring her out in a few years. 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #265 on: Feb 24, 2021, 05:10 PM »
2 much  congrats  :thumbsup:

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #266 on: Feb 25, 2021, 06:31 AM »
I really enjoyed catching up on the posts of the last few days.  My grandfather is the one that got me into fishing and ice fishing back in the late 60's.  I have many fond memories of just him and I out and about.  I have tried to share that with my two daughters on our fishing expeditions through the years.  I still recall taking my youngest ice fishing on Braddock's Bay for perch when she was in kindergarten.  At the end of the fishing she had me 12 to 0.  Now I might have been a little busy baiting hooks, etc. but she still beat me good.  She looked at me and said "Dad, you can say you caught some of these".  I became a grandfather myself first time this week.  Can't wait to bring her out in a few years.

Yo Too much left

Thanks for sharing. I have a suspicion you are going to be a good grandpa and who knows, a great grandpa too.👍

Thank you yo all for making this such a positive thread. I, personally believe this is what our IS forums are or should be all about eh? Naysayers take a vacation.

Boggey

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #267 on: Feb 25, 2021, 07:01 AM »
Boggey...

Agreed...!  A positive thread - indeed.  We need more of that.  It's the reason I'm not on fb...!

And speaking of vacation -and armed with our second vaccination - mother and I will be heading to Tampa for the first of April for 11 days to see our kids (Casselberry & Tampa) and our grandkids!!! Cannot wait..!

Both our kids transferred their positions from Syracuse to Florida PERMANENTLY  :'(  ...but we know the score now.

I've already begun to "pack" which generally it takes me less than 5 minutes.

But the first items to get packed is the Barbie spin casting combo and the Disney Princess Lighted Rod & Reel Combo...!

Full disclosure - the Disney Princess Lighted rod is for me - these eye's ain't what they used to be...! :woot:

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #268 on: Feb 25, 2021, 03:49 PM »
Yo Arkangle,

Too funny my friend. Have a good time. Hope we still have some ice when you get back.

Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #269 on: Feb 25, 2021, 05:49 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Accessed at the wigwam ramp. Brought a husband & wife team with me. Neither had been on the ice in years. Looked like bad day to bring them out. High winds and subsequent feels like temps of 16 degrees. Still we persevered, setting up the shanty and proving to them they could still be warm.

There were only 2 other shanties on the Pond I could see. The holes we cut had 9 inches of crusty snow over 10 inches of hard ice. We brought hot chocolate, coffeee, snacks and hot dogs. We had a great bite. Brought home some nice perch and gave 3 lures to the slime logs.

Trudge report, we walked through a lot of crusted over slush fields which gave way about every third step. Rough drag, but good catch and great time catching up on old times with some great friends.

Boggey

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.