Author Topic: Any Jigging Advice?  (Read 3098 times)

Offline frankenberry

• IceShanty Rookie
Any Jigging Advice?
« on: Jan 13, 2006, 01:15 PM »
I have several generic teardrop jigs in hook sizes 10, 12 and 14, in various fluorescent colors. I just got my shipment of maggots from Minnesota in yesterday's mail and have a cheap rod/reel from Walmart I will use this weekend until my new rod/reel arrive sometime next week (if I can make up my mind, soooo many choices!!!).

Should I use any type of bobber/float or should I always keep the jig moving? Should I bait one maggot or several? Any suggestions on jig size/color?

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated!!! Sunday will be my first real try at the elusive bluegill!! :clap:

Eric

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Any Jigging Advice?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2006, 01:30 PM »
The answer to all of your questions is both yes and no.  Depends on the mood of the fish. 
Ice busters are probably one of the best ice fishing bobbers IMO and you can get them at Wal-Mart.  I personally use spring bobbers or dead sticks, but if you want to get back to the same depth and don't have a locator, slip bobbers are the way to go.  I usually start out with a slow, lazy jigging motion and one waxie.  If the fish nails it, switch to a little more agressive jigging and add another larva.  If you can't tell how agressive they are biting, do a jig and pause. 
one thing that is over looked way too much is note placement.  You want your note positioned on the eye of the hook so that the hook lays on its side.  I bought an underwater camera this year and you can actually see a fish's reaction to even the slightest adjustments.  It seams so minor, but makes a world of difference. 

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2006, 06:28 PM »
try, try, try, until you find a presentation that works for you...use that until they quit biting, then start trying all over again....fish don't always take a jig the same way...you need to experiment with different styles of jigging until you find specific styles you like....
It's all about Karma.....

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2006, 06:37 PM »
When it comes to gills I have always been told slow and steady is the best method. Also remember they have small mouths so go with your smaller jigs to start

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:30 AM »
It's all in the wrist.  Sight fishing in shallow water will give you a wealth of info
on how fish are reacting to your jigging technique.  I like to start jigging in the
icehole and work the bait from the top to the bottom a few times an inch at a time to see if I can draw them in.  Some days they want a deadstick presentation others
you need to shake it hard.  Sometimes you need to jig hard to draw them in and
pause to get the fish to take it.  Mix it up until you find a pattern that works.  Hope
this helps.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2006, 03:23 PM »
so does jigging with a cam like mn bourbot said the answers are yes and no lately i have had success with bigger gills by jigging aggressively once they come in they either hit it immediately or if they just come over to investigate i stop jigging all together usually they are interested enough to taste the jig and once they taste the live bait they usually take it. Ive also been having better luck (this year) with mousies and spikes than waxies
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline icetime

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2006, 02:42 PM »
TRY THE GLOW STUFF THATS OUT THERE! I WAS IN ABOUT 10 F.O.W. USING A FORRAGE MINNOW,AND MARKING FISH ON THE BOTTOM, BUT NO TAKERS, SO I SWITCHED TO A GLOW FROSTEE, CHARGED IT UP DROPPED IT DOWN THE HOLE AND THE FISH  CAME RIGHT UP AFER IT! :tipup:

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:58 AM »
I prefer horizontal jigs that rock with a gentle pounding of the rod. Fish the lure both down and up the water column. Active gills will take the jig on the drop  but for the negative fish, a take-away presentation is more productive.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.