Author Topic: Other flashers  (Read 1925 times)

Mr.G

Other flashers
« on: Dec 27, 2004, 10:42 PM »
Ok, I know the general consensus is that Vexilar is THE flasher to get - but as a person who is new to the world of flashers I have a question.  Are other flashers such as the Lowrance LFP-235 or Eagle Silent-61 a good flasher?  I know they are older models but they are going relatively reasonable on eBay.  I do not know if I am quite ready to fork over the big money for a Vex and would like to know if a flasher is for me before I do pay the money.  Have also found a Si-Tex Fl-8 that looks pretty much like the Vexilar on there as well.  Any suggestions?  I do not know anyone close that has a Vex and have never seen anyone fish with one - but reading posts on this site have kind of convinced me that a flasher is the way to go.

P Gottshall

Re: Other flashers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2004, 10:35 AM »
Mr G.

Are you my Dad?  Dad was a teacher & went by Mr. G. :)

I'm not knowledgeable enough to compare flashers, & think a lot of the feedback you'll get is emotional anyway, kinda' like Chevy vs Ford.  I was comparing Vex vs Marcum vs Lowrance, & got strong supporters & haters of each.

I have a Vex FL8, but before that used a Humminbird single color flasher that I got at a garage-sale for $5.  It worked fine, & improved my catch-rate 1000% over fishing "blind".  Any flasher, properly rigged, can work for you.

A multi-color flasher will show you "when there are fish down there", but will also tell you when they're interested in your bait.  When green turns to red, you know they're directly under you.

On a single-color, you can still tell when the fish are coming to your bait, especially when they're aggressive.  Generally the blips will move up & become one-blip with your bait.  That's when you're about to get bit.

I've probably not helped your confusion much, but would recommend just getting something - whatever you can afford.  You can always upgrade, & there is a pretty good market out there for used flashers.

I pretty much can guarantee you'll be happy with a single-color flasher for a couple seasons.  They will do the job quite well.  As far as rigging, you'll need a way to float or hang your transducer perfectly flat.  Look for a transducer with the cable coming out of its top, so if you hold the cable, the transducer is sitting flat, like the  Lowrance Fish Lo-k-tor's.  Otherwise, here's a rig I used with my Hunnimbird which worked very well:  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=15327.0

Paul

ps - I got my FL8 for $160 off the internet.  Check the "for sale" areas of sites like this, & ebay.

T. Herman

« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2004, 02:27 PM »
I too used a Humminbird Pro Flasher for many years and it worked great.

I recently purchased a Marcum LX3 and absolutely love it. The bottom separation and brightness of the display is really something. You might want to check into one of these before you buy.

All you really need a flasher to do is show you the bottom, your lure and what depth fish are passing through your cone. The LX3 does this well as did the old single color flashers. Really never used a Vex all that much, but I know they too are good units.

Mr.G

« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2004, 11:01 PM »
Ok - so if a guy would just buy a vex... ;) I remember seeing a website that had discount prices for possibly remanufactured vex's - anybody know that one off hand?

trapperdirk

« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2004, 09:11 AM »
Here you go MR.G.

http://www.vexilar.com/purchase/direct/outlet.html

TD

Mr.G

« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2004, 06:14 PM »
Thanks a lot for the replies guys!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor