The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: "THE SPUD" Memorial Event - Walker Lake  (Read 2970 times)

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
"THE SPUD" Memorial Event - Walker Lake
« on: Feb 04, 2013, 04:46 PM »
1st Annual THE SPUD Memorial Event

To honor the life of fellow IS member Fred Janiec (THE SPUD), friends will be holding a very informal gathering on Walker Lake THIS Sunday the 10th, from 8am until noon.

There will be a requested donation of $2.00 per person, which as requested by Fred’s family will be donated to the Maryland DNR – Hooked on Fishing, Not Drugs program.

Anybody who is interested in contributing in any manner please let me know.

We will be meeting off of the rail, on the ice – the very simple rules will be posted soon.

At this time, these prizes will be awarded as follows – we might have more prizes but this is what I got at the moment;

Everyone who registers will be entered in a drawing some small items, such as minnow scoops, Jiffy ball caps, Ice Skimmers, disposable hand warmers and whatever else I can come up with. I think that everyone will win something.

Everyone who catches a crappie will be entered in a drawing for a Clam True Blue Jigging rod & reel.

The person who catches the single largest crappie during the event will be deemed the winner and receive a JIFFY SPUD bar. This Spud bar in brand new, still in the box, I’m thinking about painting it gold?

Like I said, very informal - just a way to remember Fred and for his buds to get together - EVERYONE IS WELCOME - And no, the $2.00 donation is not mandatory.

Like I said, I’d love to hear anybody’s ideas on making this better.

80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: "THE SPUD" Memorial Event - Walker Lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2013, 05:24 PM »
And a THANKS to IceShanty.............
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Ronbo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish hog
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2013, 06:16 PM »
ill be there sunday byron  :'(  :tipup:

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CAPTAIN OF THE F.O.P. ICE FISHING TEAM.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2013, 06:55 PM »
more than likely ill be there with a friend or 2!!!! wouldnt wanna miss this, this day will be for fred (the spud) !!!!!   D.T.
DONALD T WITMER III                                 Pro staff for Catch em all custom jigs, ACE custom rods, Contraband baits, Bonehead Tackle, Rhyno custom jigs,  And Expedition outdoors!

Offline cooljordan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fish slayer \m/
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2013, 08:30 PM »
+3 here

Offline beerthirty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2013, 05:51 AM »
Thank you Byron for putting this in motion! I will surely be there to help out! Fred surely will be smiling down on us all on Sunday! See you all there!
got fish? got beer? anyone see dr beam?

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2013, 11:36 AM »
Yes Sir, we'll be there also!

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2013, 05:45 PM »
Thanks guys.........

This is sort of what we're thinking - when I say "we" I'm talking about beerthirty (Ken) and myself - but we are not inclusive, all input and ideas etc are welcome..........espec ially going forward for next next year and beyond.

We will try to be on the ice - out from the rail - by 7:15am on Sunday, at which point folks can come up and register. IT WOULD BE GREAT IF YOU COULD JUST WRITE YOUR NAME ON AN INDEX CARD IN ADVANCE AND GIVE THAT TO ME or KEN.

The derby will be a "single" largest fish event.......

From 8:00am - 8:30am, anyone can bring any size crappie to us for registration. After 8:30, any crappie  registered must be larger than the previously registered crappie. As an example, "Joe" brings in a 8.5 inch crappie at 8:15am which is the largest crappie brought in between 8:00 and 8:30. In order to register a crappie after 8:30, the crappie must be 8.75 inches and the next crappie to be registered must be 9 inches.

The largest crappie between 8:30 and noon wins the SPUD BAR!

The TRUE BLUE COMBO will be awarded from a drawing of anyone registering a crappie - including those of any size that are registered between 8:00 and 8:30am.

We'll work out how to award other prizes.

There will not be an "end of day" weigh-in, the largest crappie registered by noon will take the largest fish prize.............

We'll provide our cell numbers and make sure the largest crappie is known. Crappies to be weighed must be walked to Ken or myself for measurement.........

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2013, 05:58 PM »
Sounds great  Byron..So, Just to clarify, your going by length and not weight then correct?

Offline chukkrok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:04 PM »
great idea to honor a fellow ice fisherman.. wish I could be there, but unfortunately I will be outta town...

Offline iceman clem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • catch all kind of fish big and small
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:13 PM »
will be there with my daughter and my fishing friends

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:20 PM »
Byron..So, Just to clarify, your going by length and not weight then correct?
That is correct and we will be going in1/4 inch increments............ .......

will be there with my daughter and my fishing friends
Thanks Clem, I can see FRED with a smile on his face ;)

Offline IrishSlabHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IrishSlabHunter
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:48 PM »
Little Perch and I plan to be there.

Offline cooljordan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fish slayer \m/
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:08 PM »
What about perch ???

Offline john t.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:21 PM »
can we get bait at Clarks.

Offline cooljordan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fish slayer \m/
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:47 PM »
Yes, you should be able to get bait from Clark's I will talk to him tomorrow.

Offline beerthirty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2013, 05:42 AM »
you & your perch cool   ;D.....CRAPPIE...  Measuring crappie.... measuring craps
got fish? got beer? anyone see dr beam?

Offline petehanford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2013, 05:56 PM »
i will be there sunday. trying to get more to come along

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:33 PM »
I'll get hold of flyboyroy and a few others .   See you sunday.  Meeting  at the rail is that correct ?       

Offline cooljordan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fish slayer \m/
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2013, 08:00 PM »
Yes sir Deerman :tipup: Don't let Roy chicken out.

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2013, 05:32 PM »
Let me say that support for this has been overwelming - I do not have the time to list all the people who have called, emailed, PMed or ortherwise gotten in touch offering donations. The number of folks who just wanted to mail me a check caught me by suprise. But freinds of FRED from VT, NY, WI, MN and of course PA have offered support............... ....

I have thanked everyone and declined most of these offers. There just is not enough time to do this the way it should be done. I've hinted that I'd like to make this an annual event and everyone who offered support has agreed that they would continue to support a yearly event.

One prize I have accepted is from fellow IS member Chris Confer, known as Topher something. He is donating a "FishHounds Outdoors Pannie Droper" Custom Rod. This is a 26inch light action rod that is part of the "James Vladyka Tourny Series Collection"
This sweet rod will be awarded via random drawing to everyone who showes up.

Offline cooljordan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fish slayer \m/
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2013, 05:37 PM »
Clark's Wiggly Worm will have waxies, meal worms, fatheads, and shinners in stock and will be open early Sunday morning for anyone who needs anything.

He also donated a bag of goodies for prizes and/or giveaways. Thanks Eric!

Byron, I will give it to you to do with what you feel fit.

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2013, 05:45 PM »
Meeting  at the rail is that correct ?     

YES................... I hope to be on the ice, out from the rail area by 7am. I will be wearing a bright yellow cap, should be able to find me.

A quick recap -
Fishing will start at 8am.
From 8 am - 8:30 anyone can register a crappie of any size.
The largest crappie caught between 8am and 8:30 will be the "pace" fish.
Any crappie registered after 8:30 must beat the largest currently registered crappie by 1/4 inch.
The largest registered crappie at noon wins the "SPUD" award from JIFFY.
A drawing from everyone for the "Topher" Rod mentioned above will be held.
A drawing from everyone who regesters a crappie will be held for the "True Blue Combo" from CLAM.
Random drawing for other stuff. 

And as just posted a moment ago - THANKS to Eric at the Wiggly Worm.................. .and CoolJ

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2013, 07:38 PM »
Sounds like it is going to be big!  Is there enough room at the rail for everyone to park? 
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline cooljordan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fish slayer \m/
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2013, 07:49 PM »
Shouldn't be a problem, Skip has that big field he lets everyone park in.

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CAPTAIN OF THE F.O.P. ICE FISHING TEAM.
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2013, 07:51 PM »
might be a problem if we get any good amount of snow,,, and everybody dont have 4x4!!!! bring chains n ropes lol!!!
DONALD T WITMER III                                 Pro staff for Catch em all custom jigs, ACE custom rods, Contraband baits, Bonehead Tackle, Rhyno custom jigs,  And Expedition outdoors!

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 07, 2013, 08:01 PM »
Geo,
I think the farmer with the field just up and to the right, as you approach the lake, of the rail has allowed people to park there.  Am assuming that's still available.  If so it's because this privilege has been treated with respect.  Am sure it will continue, especially in honor of SPUD's day out there.

Depending on weather that day (and precip prior) that walk down from the field parking area to the rail can get slick but certainly doable with your creepers on.

Wish I could attend that day but prior commitments to Boy Scouts will not allow me to.  You guys have fun in honor of a great outdoorsman.  If any of you get over to "SPUD's Spot" do me a favor and do a little jiggin' with an orange demon t-bone waxie with maybe a 3" dropper loop above and small jighead with lip-hooked fathead on it.  I saw The SPUD yank some nice crappie up with that rig on Walker a few times.

I hope limits of fun are had by all.  Am sure he'd want it just like that.

jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 07, 2013, 08:08 PM »
When your coming in to the rail at the top of the hill on the right is Skips fields. He allowed us to park there before. He was Freds long time friend, so I'm willing to bet he many be even there greeting us..

Offline panfishpounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 07, 2013, 08:13 PM »
I plan on being here Sunday.  My only issue is i have to bring my little kia rio.  Hoping the snow amounts to nothing.  If someone makes it there sat evening and could give me an up date as to whether the rio will make it through the snow i would appreciate it.  If not i guess i will come in from the launch.

Offline iceman clem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • catch all kind of fish big and small
« Reply #29 on: Feb 07, 2013, 08:17 PM »
I think geo is running a park and ride ;D ;D :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.