Author Topic: Flip over wind poles to solve a problem  (Read 6032 times)

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Flip over wind poles to solve a problem
« on: Dec 02, 2019, 07:12 AM »
If you own a flip over and are like me, the front bar on my Nanook sits about 4" above the ice no matter what i did to the fabric on the tub.  So i decided to design and make my own set of wind poles to stretch the fabric down so the poles actually sits on the ice.  Was actually pretty easy and poles came out great.  No more hassling with snow on the skirt or something else holding it down on glare ice.  No one makes a wind pole kit for all the sections, only the one pole from each manufacturer. The top two sections are too short to be able to use their poles. 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Flip over wind poles to solve a problem
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2019, 08:02 AM »

I believe clam sells a pole kit

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2019, 08:22 AM »
I believe clam sells a pole kit

please post a link, because this is all that I could find:

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/adjustable-front-spreader-pole.html#181=

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2019, 04:21 AM »
nice job on the pole man.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2019, 04:33 AM »
please post a link, because this is all that I could find:

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/adjustable-front-spreader-pole.html#181=
I’m not sure about the bars/tent hoops on a clam but I do know otter has nice adjustable wind poles.  It’s under shelter accessories at otteroutdoors.com I’m a otter fan and user
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2019, 06:20 AM »
 http:// https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/parts/ice-shelter-parts/fish-trap-parts/replacement-poles.html
 Hope this helps , give clam a call , I’ve always found them to be very helpful

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2019, 07:00 AM »
http:// https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/parts/ice-shelter-parts/fish-trap-parts/replacement-poles.html

None of those are what this is? The only adjustable pole they make is too long to be used on the roof? They sell a flip roof pole that is fixed in length, but none for the second or third section.  Quite frankly if they cant make the fabric correct to get the front bar to lay on the ice I have my doubts that the one roof pole they offer is the correct length to stretch the fabric.  I think Ill buy the one they offer and see how it works compared to the one I made. 

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2019, 07:01 AM »
I’m not sure about the bars/tent hoops on a clam but I do know otter has nice adjustable wind poles.  It’s under shelter accessories at otteroutdoors.com I’m a otter fan and user

They offer the same one that clam does an adjustable one that is too long to be used on the roof. I checked there as well. 

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2019, 07:03 AM »

also one other note, all of those poles are for 1 1/4" dia poles. The Nanook uses 7/8" poles. 

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2019, 07:56 AM »
I made dropper bars for my flip over. This not only holds the front down, but the sides as well. On the really windy days i just hold the side bars down with my boots.

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2019, 08:02 AM »
I made dropper bars for my flip over. This not only holds the front down, but the sides as well. On the really windy days i just hold the side bars down with my boots.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Sweet idea
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2019, 08:08 AM »

Sweet idea

You can use 1/2in metal EMT conduit if you want it more rigid. I went with the 1/2in PVC to keep weight down. This is my 3rd or 4th season with it and no issues yet. Nice part it, i can just pop it apart and replace it if a piece breaks.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2019, 08:32 AM »

also one other note, all of those poles are for 1 1/4" dia poles. The Nanook uses 7/8" poles. 
  Oh so sorry , on another note I called clam you can buy the parts and make your own
 Pretty simple , made a set few years back

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2019, 09:38 AM »
If you own a flip over and are like me, the front bar on my Nanook sits about 4" above the ice no matter what i did to the fabric on the tub.  So i decided to design and make my own set of wind poles to stretch the fabric down so the poles actually sits on the ice.  Was actually pretty easy and poles came out great.  No more hassling with snow on the skirt or something else holding it down on glare ice.  No one makes a wind pole kit for all the sections, only the one pole from each manufacturer. The top two sections are too short to be able to use their poles. 

any links to source the parts you used?

we've been using conduit couplers for the longer poles. the end clips we buy from shelter manufacturer.

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2019, 10:26 AM »

+1. Made a set out of PVC a few years back.  They work fine, but I like your set-up better.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2019, 11:28 AM »
My frabill came with them

you guys can use abs vs emt or pvc. It should be available at any plumbing supply in short 4' sticks in small diameters - a bit more durable than pvc in the cold

Catchin' Fish

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2019, 11:33 AM »

we've been using conduit couplers for the longer poles. the end clips we buy from shelter manufacturer.

I actually made the parts on a 3d printer. If enough guys were interested I could make complete poles for guys.  If it isnt on a Nanook (what i have) id just need to know the diameter and rough length measurements. Would be easy to crank out now that I have design done.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2019, 11:46 AM »
   Oh so sorry , on another note I called clam you can buy the parts and make your own
 Pretty simple , made a set few years back

only its not that simple. Clam uses a special thin walled aluminum tubing that comes in 21' sticks. So their fittings are made to the ID and OD of that tubing. That tubing comes with a nice hefty per foot cost of $7-18 depending where you order and the qty you order.  Not the EMT i used and is found off the shelf at all hardware stores for $2-5 per 10 ft section. 

IM assuming since you made your own then you know this already and had to have ordered this tubing making your total cost including the end fittings you ordered from clam and the tube cost WAY more than what most normal wind poles sell for?

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2019, 02:35 PM »
http://    In stockSKU   1167, 4915, 4123,1836,1840,1074
$9.99
PRE X-LINE YUKON SHELTERS: The front spreader pole allows for additional stability within your shelter. Adjusts from 39.5" to 72", with 7/8 x 3/4" & 7/8" x 7/8" quick connects (Compatible with 7/8"

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2019, 02:40 PM »
http://    In stockSKU   1167, 4915, 4123,1836,1840,1074
$9.99
PRE X-LINE YUKON SHELTERS: The front spreader pole allows for additional stability within your shelter. Adjusts from 39.5" to 72", with 7/8 x 3/4" & 7/8" x 7/8" quick connects (Compatible with 7/8"

you realize the pole i made is for the top two sections and is only 20" long give or take, the bar you have shown here is for the front of the flip over. Clam does not make a short adjustable pole for the roof sections.   

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2019, 02:56 PM »
 Just trying to help , yes I know what it fits
 Like I said I made mine years ago

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2019, 03:08 PM »
Has anyone made a pole for the back of the shack, or used one? I think Clam makes one with a stud end to go into the top of the sled and connects to the bar above and behind your head as you sit. I was thinking of getting one for windy days when I've got my Kenai pointed away from the wind, there's quite a bit of flap going on behind me. I thought a pole with a slight outward bend would work best to remove the slop, but I see the adjustable one Clam sells is straight, though I suppose it has to be mainly straight to be adjustable.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2019, 04:50 PM »
Has anyone made a pole for the back of the shack, or used one? I think Clam makes one with a stud end to go into the top of the sled and connects to the bar above and behind your head as you sit. I was thinking of getting one for windy days when I've got my Kenai pointed away from the wind, there's quite a bit of flap going on behind me. I thought a pole with a slight outward bend would work best to remove the slop, but I see the adjustable one Clam sells is straight, though I suppose it has to be mainly straight to be adjustable.

i use mine on my nanook every time i set up.  It helps a lot.  Clam is pretty proud of their poles, and the shipping is a killer. Even their smallest pole is $22+ to get it mailed to you.  I have had enough guys message me that Ill pry offer a replacement pole kit for various shacks. I didnt really make mine for wind though, more to get the darn front hoop pole to rest on the ice.  Something a lot of folks fight.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 03, 2019, 04:52 PM »
Also i am not selling these here, just sharing my idea to solve that problem.  Ill post up a before after pic of my Nanook with the bars installed once i finish making them.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Dec 03, 2019, 04:56 PM »
 Looking forward to them  👍

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 03, 2019, 05:16 PM »
I saw the pole I need for my Kenai is $11, hard to justify double the cost of the product for shipping though. Dang.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #26 on: Dec 03, 2019, 07:35 PM »
i use mine on my nanook every time i set up.  It helps a lot.  Clam is pretty proud of their poles, and the shipping is a killer. Even their smallest pole is $22+ to get it mailed to you.  I have had enough guys message me that Ill pry offer a replacement pole kit for various shacks. I didnt really make mine for wind though, more to get the darn front hoop pole to rest on the ice.  Something a lot of folks fight.

do you think it's shrinkage or just poor design? if it's shrinkage maybe the poles could be used to stretch it back out over time. maybe it needs to get wet and then sit them up to stretch it out.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:05 AM »
do you think it's shrinkage or just poor design? if it's shrinkage maybe the poles could be used to stretch it back out over time. maybe it needs to get wet and then sit them up to stretch it out.

little of both.  The did not make the fabric long enough, combine that with material shrinkage and its causing the bar to sit 4-6" above the ice on most that I have seen. Some guys have left them set up on hot days but that is only a temp cure until it gets cold again.  I am able to use the pole set to get it on the ice now every time.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #28 on: Dec 04, 2019, 02:48 PM »
little of both.  The did not make the fabric long enough, combine that with material shrinkage and its causing the bar to sit 4-6" above the ice on most that I have seen. Some guys have left them set up on hot days but that is only a temp cure until it gets cold again.  I am able to use the pole set to get it on the ice now every time.
It maybe both I know that the shrinkage is a factor but my otter did that when I put together called them ushering some choice words and they said to undo the sides of canvas from sled leave set up to stretch a few days and repeat with the back after reconnecting the sides.
My thought is that it’s not a design flaw as much as trying to keep the customer happy by keeping the canvas nice and tight so as not to make noise in the wind
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 04, 2019, 03:16 PM »
Clam actually makes two adjustable poles that work with 7/8" uprights. One is a short one that only opens to around 34" and the other one opens to 72".  Call Clam and tell them what you're trying to do and they will send you what you need.  I know because when I tried to order adjustable poles as a "roof suppoet" for my older Jason Mitchell shanty, they sent me the short ones that did not open long enough.  When I called them and told them that they misunderstood what I was trying to do and that what they sent me wouldn't work -- they sent me the longer ones free of charge.  You can't beat that for customer service.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.