Author Topic: Hand auger recommendations please  (Read 2752 times)

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hand auger recommendations please
« Reply #30 on: Feb 07, 2019, 09:09 AM »
im still using my old 6"jiffy. I use it with a drill now though.  does all I need an auger to do.

if I was going to buy a new hand auger to be used as such it would be a lazer 6".  no more hand cranking 8"ers for me anymore. or any auger for that matter. haha 

bottom line make an adapter for a drill and use the jiffy you already have.

note: if your jiffy doesn't cut very aggressively shim the blades with beer can shims.  I did mine 30yrs ago and so have several others I have met over the years.

I'd love to see a picture or more details on how you shim you blades. Not that I need to do it on mine but I always love to know more.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 07, 2019, 06:09 PM »
I just have the plain 6" strike master.  As long as the blades aren't too bad I can usually zip through the ice pretty quickly.  Had one a few years ago where the handles were offset and it was a beast to use.
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 07, 2019, 09:44 PM »
Have had my Lazer for quite a few years. Blades sharpened once (prof) and bought a new set once. I use it as a hand auger until the ice gets thick, and then hook my drill to it. Nice thing about a Lazer is it will cut through and old frozen over hole with ease. That was a big one for me in my hardside shanty.

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 07, 2019, 10:09 PM »
Fin-Bore III whatever size hole you like.  Same blades as the lazer,  but with offset handle for better efficency in turning compared to a lazer.  I put new blades on mine every year and it cuts as good as a nils, without the tempermental powerhead like a nils.
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:44 AM »
Iv'e cut hundreds of holes with my 8" Fin Bore, same blades for the last 4 years, I haven't touched them, still cuts through ice like butter.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #35 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:09 AM »
I'd love to see a picture or more details on how you shim you blades. Not that I need to do it on mine but I always love to know more.

place the shim under the edge side of where they mount and it will tilt the edge more of an angle towards the ice.  before I did this it just shaved snow  cones. lol  all you need to do is loosen the screws enough to slide the shim under the edge.  start with one and add if needed. copy?
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline earlyrise

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:50 AM »
I had same problem, I was killing myself with the mora new blades were 34.00 but mora cost me 39.00 40 years ago. I bought the Lazer for backup when  gas Tanaka is not needed.

Offline spoof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 09, 2019, 07:08 AM »
I have had a 4 inch LASER for 20 years.  Still cuts like new.  About a 1/2 inch a turn. Love it.  I have an 8inch Eskimo power auger that I use if the ice gets to thick, or if I'm in a Derby etc...

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:46 AM »
place the shim under the edge side of where they mount and it will tilt the edge more of an angle towards the ice.  before I did this it just shaved snow  cones. lol  all you need to do is loosen the screws enough to slide the shim under the edge.  start with one and add if needed. copy?

And please WEAR LEATHER GLOVES to do this!
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 09, 2019, 12:41 PM »
I would maybe try new blades for your Mora first. My Mora works fine. Yeah, the Lazer and Nils are going to work better. I don't know if it is worth the extra $80-$200 though. I think if you need to shim it, the drill is out of alignment. I shimmed my Mag 2000 with a pop can. It worked okay. When I replaced the drill, it cut like butter.

Offline kpmswi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:19 PM »
I have a Mora 8" that might have been bent and only would shave light shavings.  I put .062 under both blades and now she cuts really good with my Ridgid Octane drill. 

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 09, 2019, 11:03 PM »
First I’d try to get your blades professionally sharpened or replaced. If that really doesn’t do it for you, then get something with offset handles, like the nero. The flat shaver blades like the mora are easier to turn, while the angled blades like lazers and Nero cut more per turn but take more effort. The offset handles may take a bit of getting use to, but make the turning much easier. I really think that’s the main reason people have been swearing by nills augers even though they are so expensive. Good thing the Nero also has the offset handles to give people more options. 
I personally use a 7” lazer hand auger, and recently also a 8” eskimo (flat blade like the mora), but I have them paired with a m18 drill and clam plate.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 11, 2019, 04:50 PM »
I've drilled hundreds of holes with my 6" Nils through 30+ inches of ice. The only reason I bought an 8" Lithium Lazer was because a 6" hole is too small for my traps. If battery power doesn't work over the long haul I'll get an 8" Nils. Fin-bore and Mora Nova are also excellent but not sold in USA.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.