Author Topic: location place  (Read 744 times)

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
location place
« on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:38 PM »
they should make it mandatory to put location in your profile

Online OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Re: location place
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:40 PM »
We've been trying to get the site to do that for a looong time!! ::)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:41 PM »
they should make it mandatory to put location in your profile
I second that !        :thumbsup: :clap: :bow:

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:43 PM »
They could, but doesn't mean that everyone would put down the right location..   I'm from NW Pa, But could easily say I'm from Ohio, or NY..  Or even Colorado.   I can see not putting down a street address, But I do think everyone should least list their county and state.   But no way to enforce it..

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:54 PM »
1 No way to make sure someone puts down their correct location. Heck, we don't even require you correct name!

2. Who cares if they have a location in their profile. If some asks a question that is location dependent and there is not one in their profile, then don't respond to them. Nothing says you have too.

3. Some people don't put their location in their profile because they are afraid of being found. These are the same people who live in their mother's basement and wear aluminum foil hats.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Incognito

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice... must find Ice.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:08 PM »
I put my location, wear tin foil hats, but don't live in my mother's basement...*twitch* *twitch*

Official Iron-Man / Ice Geek / Ice Shirt of the MIRC
aka - Carnage-meister

Online OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:17 PM »
I put my location, wear tin foil hats, but don't live in my mother's basement...*twitch* *twitch*
Hey!!! I know you!!!!  ;)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline gil_lunkage

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:24 PM »
I just updated mine.  Does it work?
"Don't hate me cause you ain't me"
~ Some Dude

Offline Incognito

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice... must find Ice.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:36 PM »
Hey!!! I know you!!!!  ;)

I am a legend...  The HOF game is the best.

Ever fish the portage lake (PLX) area by canton?

Official Iron-Man / Ice Geek / Ice Shirt of the MIRC
aka - Carnage-meister

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:59 PM »
"Land of the Free..."
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:47 PM »
Yep. but if you want your question answered with any accuracy the location helps. 

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:51 PM »
Yep. but if you want your question answered with any accuracy the location helps.

And if your question is location specific you should be posting it in one of the many, many regional forums on here.

There is a small handful of busybodies on here who I never seem to see post anything of substance, but they are always the first ones in a thread started by a noob barking at them to fill in their location.  This annoys me, so they go on the ignore list and the location stays blank.  If that annoys them, meh, they've go an ignore list too. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:56 PM »

Anyone hear something?

Guess not as there is no location entered.

Maybe from nowhere.      ;)2

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:35 PM »
And if your question is location specific you should be posting it in one of the many, many regional forums on here.

There is a small handful of busybodies on here who I never seem to see post anything of substance, but they are always the first ones in a thread started by a noob barking at them to fill in their location.  This annoys me, so they go on the ignore list and the location stays blank.  If that annoys them, meh, they've go an ignore list too.

I agree with this. I have only asked the OP one time to add their location because they were asking about location specific info. If a new member makes a post, I would view it as very intimidating/rude/ non informative if the first answer to my question is "add your location to your profile." A lot of times new members do not even know how to do this. Plus, who cares where the member is from? If they add "The Moon" as their location would that satisfy people? If you are going to post saying for a member to add their location, then at least try to answer the OPs question while you are at it. Just my 2 cents. 

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2017, 10:06 PM »
I agree with this. I have only asked the OP one time to add their location because they were asking about location specific info. If a new member makes a post, I would view it as very intimidating/rude/ non informative if the first answer to my question is "add your location to your profile." A lot of times new members do not even know how to do this. Plus, who cares where the member is from? If they add "The Moon" as their location would that satisfy people? If you are going to post saying for a member to add their location, then at least try to answer the OPs question while you are at it. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with this as well and feel bad for some of the newer guys. Some aren't even asking a location specific question and some on here just become jerks about it. Next thing that gets me is when a guy asks a question and the first thing someone says is check the search button. That's one of the 1st things I look at but dont always get the info I'm looking for or the threads are from years ago. Plus its a forum to help people so instead of trying to be a smart ass or jerk try helping next time.
"Did you  clip your barbs,  you remember to clip your barbs."

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2017, 10:16 PM »
I would view it as very intimidating/rude/ non informative if the first answer to my question is "add your location to your profile." 

Exactly.  It's passive aggressive, not very welcoming, and quite frankly none of your business.  If someone wants to share that's fine, and if they don't that's fine too, it's the user's prerogative. 

Plus, who cares where the member is from?

Out of the 75,000+ registered accounts about four of them. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:06 PM »

If someone wants to share that's fine, and if they don't that's fine too, it's the user's prerogative. 

There is something you missed, Sir.

They don't realize at first glance ~ It's a global website.

And, as one who recently ran for a certain office so eloquently said, and I paraphrase: "What difference does it or you make"?   

Have a great ice season and a nice forever.       

:icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.