Author Topic: Nils Auger?  (Read 1307 times)

Offline saskgui

• IceShanty Rookie
Nils Auger?
« on: Nov 27, 2023, 10:35 PM »
So I am looking to purchase a new auger this year. I am old school and have for years always used a hand auger, the standard Swede-Bore model that most people are familiar with. I am not interested in gas, would love an Ion but don't have that kind of money. Was seriously thinking of an Eskimo pistol bit but am thinking come March with 3ft of ice I am limited to 4-5 holes per cordless drill battery. I am leaning toward the Nils hand auger, this is due to it being easier to drill with and I believe would have the option to hook up a drill to once I am tired. However does anyone know where this auger head can be sharpened in town? I know I won't be able to do it and it is useless if it can't be sharpened and I am not keen on sending it to the States.

Offline Dlzfish

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Nils Auger?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2023, 08:57 AM »
Ask accusharp or rixedge. Thats where i take my blades.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2023, 09:02 AM »
I thought long and hard about a nils years ago.  A guy could have a second cutting head but the hassle of shipping them away turned me off.  They are also very easily dulled from dirty ice so if you're fishing down south that wouldn't be ideal.

For me it's hard to beat a finbore or a mora. 

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2023, 09:13 PM »
I have a Nils adapted to a gas powerhead.  I do have one extra cutting head.  I've sent one away for sharpening to Frank DeLuca from Minnesota, USA.  I also have a Mora Hand auger I've adapted to the same powerhead.  I'd recommend going with the Mora as blades are available from Cabelas.  The Nils cutting head was like $220 from Cabelas I saw the other day.  Nils aee fast but finicky especially on dirty ice.  That Mora will keep up to my Nils or maybe even a tad faster.  Cheers!
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2023, 03:37 PM »
My recommendation is to consider getting a Milwaukee Fuel M-18 drill kit and match it up with any auger bit.  You can drill 60 or 70 holes in 12" of ice on one 4 or 5AH battery.  The advantage of this purchase is you can use it for ice fishing as well as work around the house.   More power than you will ever need.  Makes perfect sense.  I got mine 3 years ago on sale for less than $300 with a charger and "two" 5AH batteries, which I never had to use but one per trip.   I use it with either a 6 or 8" Mora Strikemaster auger that were originally hand augers.  That's just an opinion and the ice specific units have merit as well.
Good luck whatever you decide.

Offline saskgui

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2024, 11:23 AM »
I went to Accusharp in December for the sharpening of my Mora hand auger blades and filleting knife. I showed them a photo of the Nils auger head and he thought this would be no problem to sharpen and would cost around $20. I do own a Milwakuee Red Lithium drill with two 5.0 ah batteries, (not sure if it is a M-18 Fuel or not) and have often thought of buying an auger bit. One of the down sides in my mind with the cordless drill is keeping the batteries warm however if I bought a bit it would likely be the Eskimo Pistol Bit as I would think using an adapter with my steel hand auger would be very heavy and would use more battery. Anyways thanks for the replies, it is helpful in making a decision.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2024, 03:27 PM »
Clam Plate with spring mod, M18 drill, 5ah batteries or bigger, and strikemaster Lite Flite. Cuts fast, very light and portable, easy to use. Win, win, win

I made a insulated box using a plastic ammo case. Used 1" foam ridged insulation. I toss in a couple hand warmers and the 3 batteries seem to stay warm. This year is the first time with it and our temps are outrageously above average so not a certain how it will perform at -20 or colder.  I will be measuring some internal temps once our cold weather comes. Then I'll have a better idea if it's working.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.