The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: What's The Deal With Largent Pond?  (Read 2514 times)

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
What's The Deal With Largent Pond?
« on: Feb 01, 2019, 09:27 PM »
Does anyone know whats up with the Largent Ponds near Great Falls? I read that they had stocked them with Crappie and Muskie within the last few years. I fished both of the ponds from one end to the other and never marked a fish. I've had bad days, but it seems to me theres nothing in there. Any info or ideas would be helpful.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What's The Deal With Largent Pond?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2019, 09:32 PM »
I can't help but to read the title of this thread as Jerry Seinfelds voice...I'm of no help

Offline Perch-Eye

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2019, 10:07 PM »
I can't help but to read the title of this thread as Jerry Seinfelds voice...I'm of no help
maybe you are thinking of lake...."mulva"..not that there is anything wrong with that....I am certainly of no help.....but you had me at crappie....

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2019, 12:48 AM »
the fish you seek are in a pond across the sun river.you will not be able to cross the river on foot .
fish till it hurts then fish some more

Offline KeeghanL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2019, 09:17 AM »
In the pond on the highway side of the river, there are supposed to be largeys, little rainbows and little bullheads. They have become popular during the summer and it wouldn't surprise me if they get fished out pretty good. I was there before it froze and caught one little large mouth compared to when I went in just and caught probably 50 little guys. So I think that pond just gets too much pressure during the open water. The musky and bluegill are on the other side of the river and I brought a kayak back there this summer and the water was green and smelled awful and there were a lot of dead bluegills floating around but I bet there are still fish in that one, I just dont know how much.

Offline Perch-Eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2019, 10:19 AM »
 I didn't want to mention the one across the river because some fool will try and cross it on the ice. There's a lot of current there so the ice may be dangerous. Also, they planted Tiger Muskies in there and there is a length limit ( I think over 36 inches ) to keep them.

Ken........

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2019, 12:43 PM »
Thanks for all the info. I fished across the sun last week and had the same luck. Maybe I need to go talk to the fish biologist...

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2019, 12:45 PM »

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2019, 12:52 PM »
maybe you are thinking of lake...."mulva"..not that there is anything wrong with that....I am certainly of no help.....but you had me at crappie....

Is anyone here a marine biologist?

YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2019, 01:14 PM »
 ;D ;D

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:18 AM »
Was out there a 5 or 6 weeks ago on the bass pond. You can see all the way to the bottom and after fishing the entire lake, didn't mark one catchable fish. Looking through the hole, I saw a bunch of small minnows, but never anything catchable size. I did see a few catchable size fish frozen to the bottom of the ice, may have been bluegill, but they really looked like small carp. Tough to tell through the somewhat milky ice at the time. Had a couple fellas stop by to check and see how I was doing, only to say they hadn't marked anything there the last couple times out. Said during open water they would catch TINY largemouth. Also told me the lake across the river had a die off over the summer with the heat, as the pond had overgrown with weeds to the point where it was unfishable. Just a rumor, I suppose, but you never know.

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2019, 11:19 AM »
I'm sure part of the problem with the largent ponds is that when the sun river flooded early last summer it washed both ponds out. Which probably means most of the fish in the ponds are now in the sun river and Missouri. It will be a while before the fish and the ponds get back into the shape they were before this last summer.

~~~We Fish For The Fish That Eat The Fish You Fish For~~~
                    -MudbuM Boys

Offline MtPike_Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:46 PM »
I have fished Larger Bend a lot. I fished #3 (the one across the sun) many times for tigers and did good as I landed a few up to 32". It turned over during the summer of 2017. Had 3' of moss and algae on it for 5 months. Went away in mid October. It still stinks even with it turning over that long ago. All the fish died in it. Have tried many times since then to catch a fish but have had no luck. #2 (the bass pond) got f#cked up by FWP cuz they like to try to get rid of the weeds which the bass live in every spring but last spring ('18) they screwed it up good. I used to catch 50 bass a day but now Im luck to evem see one. The 1st pond (tiny one with the wee island in it) has no fish.
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
                                              -Henry David Thoreau

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2019, 11:25 PM »
#2 (the bass pond) got f#cked up by FWP cuz they like to try to get rid of the weeds which the bass live in every spring but last spring ('18) they screwed it up good.

How did they get rid of the weeds? Just wondering.

-MudbuM Boys

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2019, 04:27 AM »
This doc gives the complete report and thoughts of Ponds 1, 2, 3.  The attachment in Tab "Additional Files" at the bottom, Largent Bend FAS Fish Stocking EA.PDF Pretty interesting little read.

Can be found at  https://myfwp.mt.gov/fishMT/waterbody/15556520 

wish you many hook-ups

Offline MtPike_Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2019, 02:21 PM »
They put some stuff in there to clean it up. They also dredged some of it to make it deeper at the front and put a dock out.
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
                                              -Henry David Thoreau

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2019, 06:18 PM »
The dock was put in with a skid steer so no dredging equipment was used in the pond for the new dock. They did however use the skid steer to make the bank less steep in front of the dock for public safety, but that's about it. It's too bad the fishing isn't as good as it was a couple years ago. It was a nice little area for a multi species opportunity so close to town.

-MudbuM Boys

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.