Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Homemade Portable Shanty Build  (Read 6529 times)

Offline Mfu5324

• IceShanty Rookie
Homemade Portable Shanty Build
« on: Feb 19, 2022, 10:24 AM »
So my current hut shanty is on its last leg.  Hut shantys are great, they stay warm, give you al lthe room you want.. but they are terrible to put up and down.. they are terrible to lug out to your fishing spot etc etc.  Anyway, the new 3 man flip overs are nice looking but given thier $1,000 price levels and limited room for 3 i have decided to build my own....

Im going to base my design off the Senco Super Shak from the 1990s and the Ontario Ice Shanty plans many have built.  The plan is to build a 5x8 collapsable hut.  I can weld aluminum so i will be using aluminum instead of ply wood.

Anyway.. i will be posting updates to this thread as i go.. plan to start it this afternoon... hope you all enjoy :)

Offline bigtt

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Homemade Portable Shanty Build
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2022, 06:16 PM »
Can't wait to see what you come up with. Good luck

Offline Mfu5324

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2022, 12:52 AM »
I purchased 1 inch aluminum tube 1/8 wall  at the steel distributor.  $40 for 21 foot piece

To bend the aluminum tube I had to
Build a jig.  I purchased some 5/4 glued pine at menards. It’s a true 1 inch vs 3/4 inch plywood

I didn’t make a perfect circle shape instead I did an ellipse shape.  So I had to learn how to cut out eclipses.  Lol

Offline Mfu5324

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2022, 12:55 AM »
I mounted my homemade jig to the car trailer and bent aluminum with ease.  My intention was to have the shanty be 58 wide outside to outside.  I messed up on the jig so my shak will be a full 60inches outside to oitside

Offline Mfu5324

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2022, 12:57 AM »
Having never worked with curves or arches.  I had a heck of time squaring things up.    Finally figured out to put the piece back in the jig and use clamps to keep the distance equal all the way down the side.   

So after day 1 I have the first side tacked up.  The second side should go
Much faster now that I kind of know how to do it

Offline Mfu5324

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2022, 06:04 PM »
So I decided to employ the help of
My dad to rebuild the side walls.  The first one was just too wide at 6 ft 2 inches.   Afraid of it fitting into truck bed.    So I recut the eclipse on the jig (measured inside diameter this time). Now the ends are 58 inches
Also as we bent the tube we added 2x4s about every 8 inches to hold the arch in place as we bent it which made it way easier to keep the shape

Offline Mfu5324

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2022, 06:07 PM »
We got both sides completed.  In the pic I put them the 8ft apart to see how room it will be.   I can say it will will fish 3 way way easy.  4 will be fine and you won’t run elbows etc.    next will be the 2 section folding floor so the shanty will fold up to 6ft long instead of 8 ft

Offline Mfu5324

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2022, 06:46 PM »
A bit more down today.  Got the floor frame welded up and hinged.  Looked like it will fold up to unde 8 to 10 inches.   Got a tarp ordered so waiting on it

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2022, 03:07 PM »
Looking Good, Keep the progress pics coming. :tipup:

Offline Mfu5324

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2022, 10:59 PM »
Spring break with the kids got in the way :),,, now the cylcones are cutting into my shop time to finish it !!! go clones!   I have everything ready (tarp, floor etc).. i plan to finish it up next week and will post pics...

Offline Mfu5324

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Apr 02, 2022, 07:43 PM »
Got some work done today on the shanty.   Covered the floor with 1/16 inch aluminum.  A little flimsy but think it will be fine.  Also got the 1/4 inch corrugated plastic sheets on the side.  Had to order these from Home Depot cause they only carry the 1/8 inch stuff at store.   It cuts like butter with a jig saw.    I went with a 8 foot painter extension pole to use as my brace in the middle.    Hopefully this week I can get the tarp I ordered on it and the doors this week

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Apr 02, 2022, 10:10 PM »
This is awesome
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Apr 03, 2022, 07:47 AM »
Nice job on the shanty.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Mfu5324

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Apr 03, 2022, 06:02 PM »
Since it was a rainy day I was anole to get more done.  Got the doors built and was able to put the nylon tarp on.  To install the tarp I used channel and wiggle wire like they use on greenhouses.   It was difficult to stretch it but finally got a snug fit.   Folds up nice too.  This is not a 1 man chantry.  The 5x8 is just to hard to handle.  Very easy to handle for two guys tho.   My brother wants a smaller one so we plan to build him a 4x7.   Anyway.  Just a few more things to do and I will post pics of the final project. 

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #14 on: Apr 03, 2022, 08:00 PM »
Mfu5324 thank you for sharing the photos from the building of the portable fold up shanty with us here on Ice Shanty. Nice work good idea to use the channel and wiggle wire to fasten tarp to frame. Looking forward to seeing photos of finished shanty out on the ice.
 Steve

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Apr 08, 2022, 09:39 PM »
Any idea ballpark what the final weight is?
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Apr 10, 2022, 07:09 AM »
nice build!  it look like the one we built years ago from plans in a magazine.  have built two over the last 40yrs.  again nice work!

Offline Mfu5324

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Apr 13, 2022, 11:28 PM »
I’m going to weigh it soon. But it is not manageable for 1 guy. I’m guessing 125 to 150 poundsa. But being 5 ft wide and 6’2 tall and 8 ft long, 1 guy can’t really handle it.  It’s easy for two guys tho.  It’s big. Three guys can fish easy and 4 comfortably.   I am also building a smaller 1 to 2 man one now. It will be 48w x 6.5L x 5 tall with a 1 foot fold up side it get to 6ft tall.  Not gojng to put a floor in it.  My guess this one will come in at 50 to 70 lbs is all.

I will post pics of it too over next few weeks and get the weight on both.   But all in all I already like it better than the old pop up tent style.     

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.