Author Topic: Electric Skillet ideas  (Read 3187 times)

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
Electric Skillet ideas
« on: Jan 15, 2017, 06:14 PM »
Looking around for electric skillet to fry fish, I gave my cast iron skillet a try but my little burner did not have enough heat. Trying to do this out in my garage to keep the mess and smell out of the house.

Does anyone fry fish with an electric skillet, any brands or types you would recommend

I have a deep fat fryer but in my opinion it is to much work to get it all out and clean up the mess.

thanks for any info

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Electric Skillet ideas
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2017, 07:32 PM »
I use a Presto griddle for pancakes on the weekends and it works great, should work for grilled fish as well.

Go to the Presto web site they have a large selection of electric grills, griddles and fryers.

Good Luck all :tipup:

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2017, 05:58 PM »
I had the same problem:

"Homer, I want fish fry but don't do it in the house!"  ::)

I used conventional square electric fry pan for years but the spatter factor due to short sides was a pain. Enter Presto with their "Multi Cooker". I hate one trick ponies, especially in the kitchen. You can do a lot with this including deep frying with temperature controlled confidence. About $40.

http://www.gopresto.com/products/products.php?stock=06006

It works for me...  :thumbsup:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:41 PM »
I have a decent deep fryer, I hate the clean-up and all the oil I seem to waste. I was thinking an electric skillet would work pretty good in the garage. Would not take much oil and would keep heat consistent. I am sure I am over thinking this but the older I get I seem to have a hard time deciding what to buy.

Offline sinneD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2017, 07:40 PM »
I am considering one of these for the same reason. i like it because i can use my existing cookware on it, and i can take it with on road trips. Heck between my instant pot and this, I will be totally mobile.

https://www.amazon.com/Secura-9100MC-Portable-Induction-Countertop/dp/B00GMCAM2G/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1484616354&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=induction+burner&psc=1

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2017, 07:44 PM »
I don't blame you. I'm no spring chicken either...

I had the fry pan. Real classic, square, thermostatically controlled, lid.... used it for years because temp control is critical for deep frying. I just grew to hate the spattering everywhere. That's what put me on my search.

This Presto rig has high sides, contains the spatter very well. Takes a standard 48 oz. bottle of oil to start, so not a lot. Plenty of room for 4 - 5 giant fillets (think walleye or better yet pike) at a shot.

If your quest is for a conventional skillet, that will work just fine. I've done hundreds of fillets in one. I just changed because of the spatter thing.

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:57 AM »
Forget electric. A turkey fryer burner is a great option for frying fish.

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:16 AM »
I use an induction burner for my skillet.  Induction is almost 100% efficient since it does not get hot itself but heats your pan.  This efficiency translates to more cooking power in your pan when connected to a 110 outlet.  You must use a ductile iron pan.  So cast iron is great.  Do a YouTube search of induction cooking.  It's amazing and has tons of power for fish frys. As a side plus, you just set the temp on the burner at 375 or whatever you want and the burner automatically cycles to keep the oil at that temp.
I fish a lot....I catch a little.

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2017, 09:49 PM »
I have a turkey frier and use the burner from that and a cast iron pan. It work great
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2017, 09:35 PM »
I've also used a turkey fryer and cast iron skillet so I don't have the mess inside.  It gave out this fall after years so I had my wife get a Camp Chef double burner lp stove from Cabela's at Christmas.   As we also go camping I think it will work just great.

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2017, 11:12 PM »
If you want something small and portable look into MSR Whisperlight international. Ive had mine for 20yrs and used it to cook on the Appalacian Trail. Now it goes with me fishing and camping and going strong. It burns white gas, gasoline, diesel, or Bacardi 101. If space is no issue, I agree with the campchef, I have one of those as well but its not too compact..Cheers
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline pabbs1223

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • hardwater junkie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2017, 06:34 PM »
I always use my electric skillet. Sunbeam is the brand I think. Works great
"It's not about the fish it's about the fishing."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.