Author Topic: Pike pic  (Read 5501 times)

iceman04

Pike pic
« on: Jan 16, 2004, 06:35 PM »
alright . . . i'm not sure if it was even on this website buuuuuuuuut . . . i saw a picture of a guy who was fishing (or hunting?? - spearing) inside his shack for pike and there was a monster pike in the water that you could see . . . then i believe there was a picture of the guy with the pike he speared outside of the shack with it . . . can anyone tell me where this was!?

acsacmboy

Re:Pike pic
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2004, 08:05 PM »
i saw it too. it was on here under the pictures part of the site. click that and look around. i cant find it but its in there somewhere

Offline Hman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2004, 11:33 PM »
Hey guys, I don't really agree with spearing Pike or shoting them with a bow, But I tell ya what is a lot of fun after the ice melts, is going out bowfishing for the nasty Carp and GAR.  The only problem we have here in Wisconsin is trying to get rid of them once you shot em.  I tell ya what, it gets you out on the water and it really helps your shooting skills with a bow.  Try it sometime and you'll see what I mean.
Hman

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live To Fish, Fish To Live
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2004, 02:20 AM »
hey Hman u agree with shooting carp and gar with a bow in the summer. But you dont agree with shooting pike in the winter.......I'm confused?

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2004, 06:04 AM »
king_fish#1,
I agree...I am confused too. In my opinion there are no trash fish. If you don't plan on eating it, then don't kill it. JMO

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2004, 07:37 PM »
Pike AREN'T TRASHFISH like the CDOW (Colorado Division of Wildlife) tries to put on. They infact, are removing them out of the yampa river ( a GREAT pike fishery) and are killing them so real TRASHFISH like CHUBS and SUCKERS can live. WHAT A DUMB IDEA

They are also doing the same thing with catfish
The US fish and wildlife leads this idea

GRRRRRRR nobody kill pike like that

sorry if i'm too opinionated but it really fries my bacon, thats all
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

acsacmboy

« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2004, 10:10 PM »
i think hman means he doesnt want to kill a pike by shooting it with a bow or spear. he would rather shoot a carp or gar than kill a pikein any season. he is saying i belive it is ok to shoot carp and gar yet not pike. just my take on the post.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2004, 10:51 PM »
Hmm well im sort of divided on this. I live on SImcoe but the problem is that the carp overun the Bass Breeding grounds and wreck havoc on fishing from shore come time when they come in which is just crap for people who like fishing for crappie perch and bass and pike..I know lots of people like CARP  but damm i don't SO i think just throw the buggers to the road side and don't let em breed! I know ill take alot of slack for this i just hate carp. SOrry for being Ignorant or what ever but i like Fish that have great hit not waiting for something to grab my marshmellows or cornballs..Sorry. Tight lines all!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2004, 02:07 PM »
i don't spear or bowfish, so what's the deal?  I don't see the difference, pike is good eating, i keep the pike i catch.  Same result different method.  Plus, carp and gar just goes to waste... Who ever eats those things.  Carp are illegally introduced, so its justifieble to do... but i would say its better to bowfish or spear pike and eat them, then to bowfish and spear carp and gar and not eat them.  

PIKEGUY

« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2004, 03:10 PM »
Carp are a pain in the tail. Don't get me wrong, I love catchin them when nothin else is bitin, but they are pretty hard on alot of our beloved "game fish" In Wisconsin the DNR used to tell us NOT to return them to the water. And we Didn't. Now I'm told you can't kill em' so I don't. Bottom line....if you don't want to eat them.....DON'T kill them. If you ARE going to eat them, take them by whatever legal means you have available. Just my opinion :'(

fishmann

« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2004, 03:39 PM »
Ummmm.. I hate to interupt your debate on the pros and cons of spearing or what is or is not a rough fish, but I thought this thread was something about a pic of a pike? I keep coming back to it in hopes of finding a link, I haven't seen the pic, but it sounds interesting. Whenever I try and open any of the pics in the photo section, they all come up as just red x's, no matter how many times I hit refresh.  :(

iceman04

« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2004, 07:34 AM »
yea, thats what happens to me on alot of the pictures . . .  i'm thinking that one of those red x's must be that pic i'm thinking off . . . but i've searched it up and down and no where to be found!  

on the debate . . . never speared any sort of fish . . . looked interesting, heard of people spearing alligator, catfish and as you all say . . . gar . . . not sure what the real difference is between catching the fish and spearing it besides the fact if you kill it.  as long as you eat it i dont see the problem . . . better then laying the fish out on the ice for hours waiting for it to freeze to death or clubbing it over the head several times . . . i would imagine this guy i'm talking about in the picture is eating what he spears . . . otherwise just seems like sort of a waste. . . .

fishmann

« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2004, 02:38 PM »
Thanks jigwiggler, I've tried it with both Netscape and I.E., neither one work.

Offline Marsh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tools of the Trade
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2004, 04:54 PM »
I just want to see the picture!!
Marsh

Offline PAcatchreleaseman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • *happiness is 2 flags at once!*
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2004, 08:21 PM »
"You Gotta GET-HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMM!!!!!"

Offline BuckShotJon

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Gimpy Fisher
Re: Pike pic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2004, 12:42 PM »
Nice pike for sure.

I never really understood spearing pike but I suppose that is because I am from a state that we do not do that.

I do shoot carp with a bow in NY.

My take with anything that is controversial hunting/fishing is to take the stance that I support the rights of the sport. Overall I support the rights of the entire sport. For example I do not shoot crossbow and really don't ever plan to even if they became legal in NY (which they will) but I would certainly not want to see them be illegal everywhere and be the gateway to less hunting rights. Same with the fishing pike spearing scenario.

Jon
Check Out The Hunting Shanty

Check Out The Softer Side Of The Shanty At www.Myfishfinder.com

Offline PAcatchreleaseman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • *happiness is 2 flags at once!*
Re: Pike pic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2004, 08:47 PM »
thats a very good way of looking at it john.

i'm more along the lines of, " i wouldn't do it, but as long as you're gonna eat it, more power to ya." :-\

that pic of the pike coming up to take a look at that decoy inside the darkened "spearing shack" was really something.  wish i wolda saved that one as well ::)

-PA-
"You Gotta GET-HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMM!!!!!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.