Author Topic: Jigging for pike  (Read 4101 times)

dyhrdicefishr

Jigging for pike
« on: Jan 13, 2004, 05:17 PM »
We are having a pike derby in Maine with all the folks in the Maine Ice Shanty forum, on a pond just opened for pike ONLY and has NEVER been opened for ice fishing.  The IF&W says they have netted ones over 30 lbs which the state record is only 28 and change.  I LOVE to jig and have never fished for pike.  I caught a couple on my new rod hubby bought me for Christmas....now I am ADDICTED!  I would really love a few pointers...

the dyhard's not so dyhardy wife.... ;D

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:Jigging for pike
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2004, 07:04 PM »
Never been open for Ice Fishing?? WOW, I would love to fish that place. Not a chance for that down here in MA.........Good Luck.
Wish I had some Pike jigging Tips for ya. All I can say is BIG JIGS.......HA
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

maple

« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2004, 08:32 AM »
We are allowed 2 lines ice fishing on the Ottawa River in Ontario ..... we use one set line (a tipup baited with a sucker minnow,chub or dead herring), and we jig the other line .... I use jigging spoons tipped with a minnow head or tail, mostly a size 6 hawger spoon (the large sizes are no longer manufactured) or a Mepps syclops spoon which are available in several sizes and colours ............

Some days the tipups outperform the jig and some days its the other way around, but it is sure exciting feeling the strike of a big pike on the jigging rod !

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2004, 12:37 PM »
Thanks for the tips...I need them... ;D.  In Maine we are allowed five lines total.    I am really into this jigging thing...I ordered a catalog from Lindy and they have some AWESOME jigs...

Just so you guys know...I learn alot from reading the posts so

THANKS!!   ;)

the wife... ;D

Carla
HEY MR AND MRS DYHARD MAYBE YOU SHOULD TRY JIGGING A SMALL DOG ON A STRIPER POLE!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA   GOOD LUCK IN THE DERBY ;D :'( :'(

Offline powderburns

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2004, 02:47 PM »
Quick-strike rig with big dead bait, ( smelt, sardines, sucker) 6-10 inchers. + hang on.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2004, 09:45 PM »
I use smaller baits on quick strike rigs, usually 4-8 inchers.

For jigging, the larger jigging rapala works in orange and blue colors. Also gold.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2004, 07:06 AM »
this may sound dumb, but ive never fished for pike before!could someone please explain a quick strike rig to me :P

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2004, 10:24 AM »
Billdirite - The Quick Set Rig consists of one or two treble hooks in the side of the sucker with a leader wire connecting the treble hooks to the nose of the sucker. This varies with each name brand, but each should be used in the same general manner. The main point that must be stressed when using quickset rigs is to set immediately upon the indication of a strike; hence, the name "quick set". The only problem that may occur when using quick set rigs would come from failure to set the hook immediately. Musky can swallow a sucker within seconds. If a sucker armed with quickset hardware is swallowed by a musky, it is more than likely a dead fish. If you use common sense, there will be a slim chance of harming the fish and a good chance of catching a musky.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2004, 11:16 AM »
thanks matt ;)

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2004, 01:48 PM »
don, make sure you use hooks big enough for that pomerainian  ;) let me know how you make out

Offline Oagie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2004, 05:08 PM »
If you have 5 lines then 2 - 3 people can cover alot of water.  Set up 4 suspended lines and use the extra one to jig.  If you have a topo map of the lake, pike are well known to move from deep to shallow to feed.  So quick transitions from deep to shallow are a good spot.  But big fish have also been pulled out of 3 feet of water so they will cruise the flats as well.

Assuming you have a power auger.  Start by drilling 2 lines of holes in a zig zag pattern that goes from shallow to deeper.  Spread your tip-ups out.  Some shallow, some deep, cover alot of depths, and keep your bait a foot from the bottom.

When you get a strike, pay attention to which way the fish swam after it took the bait.  Sometimes they move with the shoreline, sometimes to shallow some to deep.  Sometimes there is no pattern.

Also, if you don't want to invest in all those tip-ups.  A spool of line and a bobber works fine too.  After you have the bait at the depth you want, position the bobber in the shavings from the hole.  Leave the spool on the ice, when you get a strike, the bobber gets pulled down the hole and the spool will just spin on the ice.  You have to pay a little closer attention though.

One other thing.  Don't be scared to move if it is slow.

Good luck.  
Oag.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.