Author Topic: Suggestions for Pike on an Arctic Warrior tip-up  (Read 5531 times)

Offline jr_the_dj

• Team IceShanty Regular
Suggestions for Pike on an Arctic Warrior tip-up
« on: Nov 15, 2006, 10:27 AM »
So I picked up a Arctic Warrior tip-up for this winter, I have a rod to use but I don't know where to start to set it up for Pike.

here is a pic of it.

The pike that are normally caught in the lake I fish are around 21"-27" and not all that fat. Obviously there is not a ton of room on a ice fishing reel for super heavy line. what size line suggestion?

What type of rig should get used for hooking the fish? On my standard tip-ups I use just a single treble hook and it works great, would anyone suggest someting different?

And finally, suggestions on keeping the bail open or closing it with a very light drag setting?

any info would be great!
Jiffy Ice Drills Pro-Staff
Aqua Vu Pro-Staff
HT Enterprises Pro-Staff
PK Lures Pro-Staff

flockshot

Re: Suggestions for Pike on an Arctic Warrior tip-up
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2006, 10:30 AM »
OPEN BAIL!!! thats for sure...use a standard spinning reel..it'll be to big..but your not holding it so it'll be fine...i use 8 lb mono with about an 8 inch 20 floro leader tied to a long shank single hook about a 3/0. it works great...the thing is just not to over analize it..fish it like a tip up...flag goes up...line goes out..you close bail...set hook...and reel. its pretty fun.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2006, 10:35 AM »
I would use a 8" steel leader and a single hook. Pike are not fussy about steal leaders.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline jr_the_dj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2006, 10:36 AM »
Yeah, thats why I bought it, it looks like a ton of fun catching a pike with the rod through the ice, now we just need ice... ;D
Aqua Vu Pro-Staff
HT Enterprises Pro-Staff
PK Lures Pro-Staff

Offline jr_the_dj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2006, 10:38 AM »
I do use the floracarbon as leaders on the tip-ups cause there are a few eyes in the lake also, and I started out with steel, but once I switched (which by the way i got the idea of using the floracarbon from this site) I started catching eyes as well.
Aqua Vu Pro-Staff
HT Enterprises Pro-Staff
PK Lures Pro-Staff

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2006, 10:47 AM »
if you leave the bail open won't the line go out and not set off the flag?
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline jr_the_dj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2006, 10:56 AM »
I have not had a chance to play with it yet to know. :(
Aqua Vu Pro-Staff
HT Enterprises Pro-Staff
PK Lures Pro-Staff

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2006, 12:07 PM »

I like to loop the line back on the rod handle and put a rubber band around the loop while leaving the bail open on the reel. When a fish takes the bait it pulls the rod down and releases the flag and if it pulls hard enough, the line will pull out from under the rubber band and the fish can run. Works well for snot rockets. :D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

flockshot

« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2006, 12:10 PM »
i find you dont even need to do that...i just take the line and put it under the flag hook....fish grabs..flag trips...line goes. no problems.

Offline FidelCasserole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2006, 02:43 PM »

I picked one up last winter and I am sure the instructions covered this, because I didn't come up with the idea on my own.   When leaving the bail open you run the line on the flag wire near bend where it makes contact with the 'rod holder'.  This keeps the line in place and when the fish pulls the line it pops the flag up.   I have been just pulling out some extra line between the bail and bottom eyelet and putting it in the place I described.   If you still have the instructions check them out and it should be covered in there.    If you can't find them I'll set mine up and take a picture for you.

flockshot

« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2006, 02:48 PM »

I picked one up last winter and I am sure the instructions covered this, because I didn't come up with the idea on my own.   When leaving the bail open you run the line on the flag wire near bend where it makes contact with the 'rod holder'.  This keeps the line in place and when the fish pulls the line it pops the flag up.   I have been just pulling out some extra line between the bail and bottom eyelet and putting it in the place I described.   If you still have the instructions check them out and it should be covered in there.    If you can't find them I'll set mine up and take a picture for you.

thats what i was trying to say...good job. lol.

Offline jr_the_dj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2006, 03:51 PM »

If you can't find them I'll set mine up and take a picture for you.

Would you be willing to take a pic for me? That would be great!
Aqua Vu Pro-Staff
HT Enterprises Pro-Staff
PK Lures Pro-Staff

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2006, 03:56 PM »
Where did you get those?  I don't have the patients to jig for pike, but would love to catch them on a rod!

Offline jr_the_dj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2006, 04:41 PM »
Where did you get those?  I don't have the patients to jig for pike, but would love to catch them on a rod!

I got mine off ebay...but I know there are a few stores that sell them online..Google search "Arctic Warrior tip up" and a few stores pop up.
Aqua Vu Pro-Staff
HT Enterprises Pro-Staff
PK Lures Pro-Staff

Offline FidelCasserole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2006, 05:56 PM »
Would you be willing to take a pic for me? That would be great!

Yes, I will, but it probably won't be until tomorrow though.   I'll do my best to take a clean shot so you can see what I mean.   It's really simple actually, I had the same worries as you at 1st about my line just dropping to the bottom of the lake.

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2006, 05:59 PM »
use 20 lb power pro and steel leaders....that's all you need  ;)

Offline FidelCasserole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 15, 2006, 10:55 PM »
Ok, sorry about the picture quality but I think you can get the idea.

Offline jr_the_dj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2006, 08:20 AM »
Thank you! Now I have an idea what to do. ;D
Aqua Vu Pro-Staff
HT Enterprises Pro-Staff
PK Lures Pro-Staff

flockshot

« Reply #18 on: Nov 16, 2006, 08:29 AM »
thats exactly how i rig mine..never had a problem..works fine.

walleyechaser

« Reply #19 on: Nov 16, 2006, 08:45 AM »
I've never used one of those tip ups.  But I do deadstick a minnow for pike, crappie, or walleye.  Its a blast catching a nice pike on a tiny rod.

Offline muskie_huntre

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 16, 2006, 11:36 AM »
I leave the bail closed, and loosen the drag up.  This really does help with the line not coming off the spool from the wind.  I run 15 lb  Power Pro and have some quick strike rigs made up with a #7 colorado blade painted up with either two #8 trebles for dead bait or a size #4 shiner hook for live bait.  The blade adds a little flash and acts as a weight for the chub to struggle against.  Once the fish hits, then I'll open the bail, hold the line for a little tension and make the proper adjustment to the drag to set the hook.  A little resistance from a closed bail is not a bad thing and wont spook a northern away if the bait "fights" a little bit.  The rigs are made up with either 50 lb Power Pro or 20 lb knotable wire.

good luck
MASON

flockshot

« Reply #21 on: Nov 16, 2006, 12:03 PM »
ive never had a problem with the line coming off the spool when its rigged like the about picture..the weight of the chub(minnow) and your weight keeps the line tension enough that it doesnt happen...ive come to close to losing a rod becuase the drag wasnt loose enough...or not getting hooksets because i didnt retighten the drag in time...i use my artic warrior almost exlusivly while dead sticken walleyes and thats not half the tension that a chub or pike rig would create and still no wind problems. like i said before..people over analyze these things..do it just like the picture posted above and you wil have no problems.

Offline Michiganmallard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 16, 2006, 05:16 PM »
Flockshot is right on the money.  I use mine pretty much the same way he does.  Open bail, line under the flag hook.  I prefer a longer rod- 40-48" because it's easier to balance.  While I agree a loose drag won't bother the pike much it does make your rod dip down every time they run which can cause an issue.  I use 14lb Fireline because it doesn't hold as much memory.  The coils in the line sometimes get fowled up when the flag trips if you have lots of line memory.  At the end of the Fireline I run a 36" 30# flourocarbon leader, and a #2 circle hook. 
You've got lots of good advice from this thread, my addition would be to pay attention to the balance of the rod.  You can easily change the balance by adjusting the metal bracket that's strapped to your rod up and down.  If you're after pike alone, set it butt-end heavy so they don't jerk the rod tip onto the ice when they make their initial run.  If you're fishing fickle biters like walleye or trout set it so that it's balanced almost even but will still roll that rod back up.  It'll create less tension for the fish to feel.  Oh, and the size and energy of your minnow will also play in there.  In the end, you want that rod to dip down, release the flag & line, and come back up.  If that rod tips down and stays down the line won't come out freely and like flockshot, I almost lost a rod that way.
It's hard to explain here without showing you but if you do run open bail, run the line from the outside in throught the flag loop.  There will be less foul ups that way.

A friend of mine turned me on to the Arctic Warrior a few years back and I LOVE them.  I haven't used a regular tip up since I bought one, I just use a thermal hole cover on the cold days.  If you take the time to experiment with it and figure out what works for you I think you'll like it.  A lot more fun than handlining.

MN_burbot- they are manufactured by Clam Corp.  You can get them online through Clam or most of the normal outdoor retailers- Gander, Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc.  In Michigan even Wal-Mart and Meijer stocks them so they might in MN also.

Member: Michigan Trappers Association, National Trappers Association, Michigan Duck Hunters Association, Wetlands Foundation of West Michigan,  Michigan United Conservation Clubs,  National Rifle Association, & Delta Waterfowl
Preserve our right to Hunt, Fish, & Trap.  BECOME A MEMBER.

Offline ice rambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 25, 2006, 11:44 AM »
Okuma EB20 is a small bait runner reel, sounds very ideal for this, loaded Power Pro and flouro leader.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.