Author Topic: quick strike rigs  (Read 1531 times)

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
quick strike rigs
« on: Feb 13, 2005, 07:24 PM »
i would like to make some quick strikes do i have to use trebeal hooks? if not than can i use pre fabed steel leaderd hooks or can i jus use nomal hooks attechd 30 pound mono? and ho big does the shiner have to be can i use them on shiners as small as 2 inches

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Re: quick strike rigs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2005, 11:14 PM »
Pike are capable of biting off anything but wire, but if you use heavier fluorocarbon, like 15 pounds or over, u will make bite offs uncommon. It's smart to use non wire or to find a very thin or low vis wire on hard fished lakes. On very hard fished lakes it's best to avoid wire alltogether. But if your having plenty of success with wire, stick with it. Then you won't have to wonder about a pike cutting you off. With non wire you have to play the fish very gently and not pull when it's running.
You need small hooks on a quick strike rig. For 4 - 8" baits, a pair of #8 trebles is best. Basically never should you use anything larger than size two, and size two is only for big honking suckers.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
Re: quick strike rigs
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2005, 03:09 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=21856.0

what size hooks should i use for these,  ive  got some yo-zuri hybrid will this work should i atteced prefabed steel leaders to it or should i just ty hooks on to it, could you post pics of some finsiched ones youve made

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.