Author Topic: leader touble  (Read 1639 times)

Offline wormwigglr

• Team IceShanty Regular
leader touble
« on: Feb 23, 2004, 07:24 PM »
i have just started tipping up for pike and i have problems with chubbs swimming into the leader and tangling it with my sinkers. i have been using just one splitshot and i think i might not be using enough weight. any suggestions on what size of sinker to use.

canteatem

Re: leader touble
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2004, 07:36 PM »
I use a slip sinker above a bobber stop about 18-24 inches above the hook. I have 1/4 to 1/2 ounce sinkers with the larger for bigger minnows. I use the slip sinkers because I think that when the fish run the sinker falls to the botom and the line runs through the sinker so that there is no drag on the fish. Hope this helps.

Ice Troll

Re: leader touble
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2004, 10:32 AM »
I could not agree more with canteatem. I use a barrel weight that slids up and down on my 30 braided tip up line. I then attach my 18 inch malin titanium shock leader to my line with a barrel swivel. The barrel swivel serves as a weight stop. I usually use a 1/4 ounce barrel weight because I use big bait. This pulls your line down but does not get your weight too close to the bait. This allows the minnow to swim more natural. You can always trim minnow tails or otherwise "wound" the bait if it is too lively. Just like canteatem said- the line goes through the weight should it fall to the bottom which minimizes resistance the fish feels. This system works very well on all species of fish. See my pic post in the tipup and picture forums for the "proof in the pudding". Hope this helps wiggler.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.