Maine > Ice Fishing Maine

Slowbattus

(1/4) > >>

Seamonkey84:
I went out to try for my first hardwater pike. We were on foot so we didn’t go too far from the boat launch. We didn’t get any flags, but I didn’t really see others going for flags either. One person next to us got two, and he was using md/sm shiners, and I was using lg goldens. Though I don’t think my bait was even close to the depth I wanted them to be at, since the 2-3 split shots I used wasn’t enough to keep the 5-7” goldens from swimming all over. Should I put a 1/8oz sinker above the swivel? Would that even be enough?

nbourque:
Usually a big split shot 6-8” above the shiner does the trick. Never really had a problem with shiners swimming down the hole.

woodchip:
Pike up their are caught more at n. end of lake and off west shore area

Seamonkey84:
These are very lively golden shiners, 5-7” in length. They’re  swimming off to the side, pulling the line at steep angle and doing circles pulling on their “leash”. Kinda surprised that they didn’t set the flags off honestly. Watching the way the line moved, there were times I though it looks like it’s trying to get away from something suddenly, but nothing came of it.  I’m going to try a bullet weight or loop on casting weights till they are relatively anchored below the hole.
I know the north end is where there tends to be more action, I’ve fished it in a boat a few times. Problem is I don’t know about any public access parking spots on the north end, and we are on foot. Prob going to give it a try again on Wednesday, I still have some large bait that I want to use up.

nbourque:

--- Quote from: Seamonkey84 on Feb 19, 2024, 11:59 PM ---These are very lively golden shiners, 5-7” in length. They’re  swimming off to the side, pulling the line at steep angle and doing circles pulling on their “leash”. Kinda surprised that they didn’t set the flags off honestly. Watching the way the line moved, there were times I though it looks like it’s trying to get away from something suddenly, but nothing came of it.  I’m going to try a bullet weight or loop on casting weights till they are relatively anchored below the hole.
I know the north end is where there tends to be more action, I’ve fished it in a boat a few times. Problem is I don’t know about any public access parking spots on the north end, and we are on foot. Prob going to give it a try again on Wednesday, I still have some large bait that I want to use up.

--- End quote ---
Try nasons beach off sawyer rd. Guys used to park there in years past.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version