The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Houghton Lake ( Ice conditions )  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Michigan_Angler

• IceShanty Rookie
Houghton Lake ( Ice conditions )
« on: Feb 03, 2023, 08:28 AM »
Hey fellow ice warriors, has any been on the ice yet at Houghton Lake Michigan, seems heading north may be the best in search of safe ice, please advise if you have been there or have a solid source on ice conditions...

thanks a bunch!!! :tipup:
" Stay safe on the Hardwater "

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Houghton Lake ( Ice conditions )
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2023, 08:34 AM »
Plenty of people out on houghton, also cracks and thin ice so be careful but people are definitely going out there
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline BuschaLatte

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ope!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2023, 08:52 AM »
Lots of reports of minimum of 6", most report 8-9.  North bay reported to be open or very thin
Ope! hey there bud, be sure to tell your folks I says hi

Keep wild places wild, be a good role model for young ones, keep public lands and accesses clean so we never lose them.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2023, 01:12 PM »
Fished da South & East launches a few times since x-mas. Plenty of safe ice w/ no snow cover , cleats are mandatory.

Offline HighPockets

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2023, 04:55 PM »
Coming out of Tipton, IN tomorrow, My wife and I are taking two of our grandsons for tomorrow evening and then all day Sunday. Any suggestions on place’s to park with access to decent fishing area’s? Thanks for any help!
Tight lines!

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2023, 05:34 AM »
Coming out of Tipton, IN tomorrow, My wife and I are taking two of our grandsons for tomorrow evening and then all day Sunday. Any suggestions on place’s to park with access to decent fishing area’s? Thanks for any help!
Tight lines!

Use da South launch. It's the only one w/ open restrooms & easy access. The bait shop is about 1 mile west (Lymons) , they can also set ya up w/ a guide & hardside shanty if ya choose

Offline Pfiji

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2023, 05:23 PM »
Fished da South & East launches a few times since x-mas. Plenty of safe ice w/ no snow cover , cleats are mandatory.

Any spots to avoid?  As a kid I vaguely remember staying they heck away from the creeks that dump into it.  Haven't been on Houghton in 25 years.  Maybe more.  My son has the itch and cooked up the last of our summer Walleye a week or so ago.  Thinking about going for a walk on Houghton with him and seeing what we can find.  Spend the $5 to park at the marina on east bay and test our luck.   

Also...how shafted are we without cleats?  Kinda investing just enough to see if this is something he's really into or not.  Cleats weren't on the "must" list. 

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2023, 05:55 PM »
Any spots to avoid?  As a kid I vaguely remember staying they heck away from the creeks that dump into it.  Haven't been on Houghton in 25 years.  Maybe more.  My son has the itch and cooked up the last of our summer Walleye a week or so ago.  Thinking about going for a walk on Houghton with him and seeing what we can find.  Spend the $5 to park at the marina on east bay and test our luck.   

Also...how shafted are we without cleats?  Kinda investing just enough to see if this is something he's really into or not.  Cleats weren't on the "must" list.

Well, walking on ice with little to no snow cover puts cleats on the "must" list.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2023, 08:58 PM »
Sone small hex heads in the boot will do but your gonna want something
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.