Michigan > Ice Fishing Michigan

Experiment

<< < (2/5) > >>

hardwater diehard:

--- Quote from: Doeslayer on Jan 17, 2022, 07:46 PM ---I think without the gearbox on the clam plate id need bigger batteries

--- End quote ---

Thin ice ...low torque brushless drill..low amp hour battery..gear reduction Clam Plate you can and probably get away with that on a 6 ich set up .drilling alot of holes Start changing things up ...thicker ice things will change ...going to an 8" auger defiantly is going to change things up ..from 6" to 8" auger you are cutting twice as much ice .

What drill are you using?

Also if your current set up is the one you posted a lil bit ago ..I notice some things on your previously posted picture that helps some 

Loosen the U bolt ..loosen the drills chuck ..move the drill up some ...next move the trigger back to the other slot ..leave things loose till you get it "right" ..the trigger pull should be parallel/even with the mounting plate and all other connections should be at 90 degrees. This accomplishes a couple things ..the trigger pull will be even with the handle and Plate of the plate..so your thumb wont be reaching over the top to grasp the trigger pull ..also the trigger could get jammed on the handle the way it is now VERY Dangerous situation (remember to always remove the battery for adjustment and transport ..ask me how I know this) .  Adding a rubber washer or castration ring take the slop out of the trigger

Doeslayer:
Thanks HWDH  that pic was when i first got it.... I played with it till it fit just right after..... The 7 inch lazer auger my buddy had cut like butter.... The 6 inch eskimo took a little longer but still did the job.... The drill i have is 500lb of torque....

hardwater diehard:

--- Quote from: Doeslayer on Jan 18, 2022, 01:44 PM ---Thanks HWDH  that pic was when i first got it.... I played with it till it fit just right after..... The 7 inch lazer auger my buddy had cut like butter.... The 6 inch eskimo took a little longer but still did the job.... The drill i have is 500lb of torque....

--- End quote ---

Good luck with your set up . Them lazers cut fast ..but be carful of dirty/sandy/road salt ice ..bare area and beaches can blow dirt and sand quite aways ..also  ATV and Snowmobile paths new/old can bring/deposit dirt and sand onto ice.

Iceassin:
The one thing I have found over the years that I have used the auger/drill set up? Easy does it. Meaning I don't just lay on the drill hell bent for leather, trying to cut a hole at warp speed...regardless of how big the drill and battery, how big the auger or how thick the ice. No matter how slow I go, it is still faster and easier than by hand. So I'm in and out of the hole, up and down, giving it a rest so to speak. Think about it.  We're drilling through "water that has turned to concrete" with up to an 8" drill bit! There are not many drill bit sets out there that even have over a 1/4" bit in them for a cordless drill. Ok...1" wood bits and 3" hole saws are kinda normal...but still. Personally I use a Ryobi P251 w/750# of torque and 4ah batteries with 4 and 6" augers. But I would feel just as comfortable with 500# and 2ah batteries with the same augers. All I have to do is remember what I have in my hands and what I'm trying to do with it.

zcm_82:
Valid point on speed.

I've been using a cheap 500# (if I remember, it could be 450 or 550) drill a couple seasons now without a problem, but I'm not drilling a ton of holes through a bunch of ice, and I take it easy on the trigger. I did switch from a Lazer hand bit back to a Mora bit this year, though, because I got tired of the bottom grab with the Lazer.  I do run a 4ah battery. I've tried a 2ah, and got cut outs when punching through more than 5-6" of ice. Never had it cut out on me with the 4ah. Max ice thickness I've ever used it on is 11" though. We rarely see over 12" around here.

If the drill eventually craps out, I'm not gonna cry over it. I typically only drill a couple holes a day, though, so I imagine it's still got some lifespan left.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version