The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Gull Lake 2022 Ice & Fishing Reports  (Read 20647 times)

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Gull Lake 2022 Ice & Fishing Reports
« Reply #120 on: Mar 04, 2022, 12:58 PM »
I would recommend checking your code also. Turns out they didn't upload mine when they issued the pass. I called and they fixed it and it worked. I was wondering if there was a limit to how many times you can use it in an hour or something like that. Maybe to discourage people from sharing their codes. I'll call an find out. Is Ken's sold out of your flies?
Probably will leave a few min. early today & try my code. As for Ken's, they have not called me for anymore this week, but They knew I was pretty much sold out. I have about 50 left of just a few colors. PM sent
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #121 on: Mar 05, 2022, 12:33 AM »
What a great night of smelting. I was able to fish with Smeltbuster and witness his 5,000 smelt for the year!!!! :bow: :thumbsup: :clap: . And it was a double to boot. He is finally going to keep his  smelt tonight instead of giving them away. What a true sportsman he is, giving to people who didn't do well or people who can't get out there and fish anymore. It is a true pleasure to be able to fish with him. Thank you. It was my last night fishing Gull for the season. Ended with 140 tonight for me.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #122 on: Mar 05, 2022, 01:41 PM »
What a great night of smelting. I was able to fish with Smeltbuster and witness his 5,000 smelt for the year!!!! :bow: :thumbsup: :clap: . And it was a double to boot. He is finally going to keep his  smelt tonight instead of giving them away. What a true sportsman he is, giving to people who didn't do well or people who can't get out there and fish anymore. It is a true pleasure to be able to fish with him. Thank you. It was my last night fishing Gull for the season. Ended with 140 tonight for me.
I have enjoyed fishing w/ you this year ,also. We both set a few Personal Bests fishing together this year,& it has been a blast ! I could still get out tonight, but have decided that I am going to Stop. 46 trips in 52 nights has been a Grind, but worth it.Been going on about 3-4 hrs. of sleep a night,at best. I have been able to help quite a few folks learn how to catch smelt this year, as well as share my catch w/ them & others. Barring any natural disasters on Gull, the smelt fishery should be good for a few years, at least. Time for me to get back to tying smelt flies. All the stores that carried them have sold out. Over 5,000 the past 3 months. If you have bought any of my "Gull Lake Smelt Factory Ice Flies", Thank You. BTW,every single one is tied by me. The ice will still be good tonight & MAYBE tomorrow. If anyone is going out , good luck & be careful.    Phil

"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #123 on: Mar 05, 2022, 07:43 PM »
Glad you decided to call it a year. Time for rest and sleep for you. Time to switch gears. Good lord willing we will set new records next year. See you on the soft water.

Offline skibumm100

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #124 on: Mar 07, 2022, 07:04 AM »
ICE REPORT: Prairieville Park north end boat launch access is toast. I stopped by on Sunday afternoon and there is 30-50 feet of open water from the shore to the edge of the ice all along the park frontage. The creek eats up the ice pretty quick. I don't think we'll get enough cold weather to make safe ice. It would take a pretty long cold snap and I don't see it getting that cold in the forecast. I didn't check Baseline but I would expect it's worse.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #125 on: Mar 07, 2022, 09:43 AM »
Baseline rd. is also done. Lots of open water near shore. The pallet bridge is gone due to open water & wind.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #126 on: Mar 09, 2022, 04:51 PM »
2nd. bay is done. I was able to gain access from a private residence today on 2nd. bay, but the ice is Rotten.The spud went through 5"-6" w/ 2 easy wacks.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #127 on: Mar 14, 2022, 03:08 PM »
With the cold snap we had for a few days, Smelt jr. & I were able to get 1 final trip in Sunday night (3/13). I was also able to share my shanty w/ my good friend & smelt guru, Bob. Bob ended up w/ 138,Smelt jr. had 116 & I had 102. It has been an awesome season, 47 trips & 5,217 smelt iced by me. Seriously doubt I will ever be able to top that . The ice was a bit sketchy last night & I'm sure tonight will be the last safe night to fish at Baseline. The north end is wide open by shore. Once the lake opens up & we try for smelt, I will post how it goes. Headed to Lk. Erie in a couple days to chase some Walters, on the open water. If anyone ventures out,Please be very careful, lots of springs on the lake , & soft spots will be all over the place.

Offline skibumm100

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #128 on: Mar 15, 2022, 04:14 PM »
I'm surprised it firmed up enough to get out. Glad you got out and back safely. I've started cleaning out the tin boat and have posted an eviction notice on the stern of the Astro for the red squirrel. I may have to go in after him. Apparently there's a walnut tree somewhere in the neighborhood, based on what I see under the cover. Good luck on Erie!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #129 on: Sep 14, 2022, 06:03 AM »
Ok...certainly not an ice report. But I am looking for a report...of guys who use or have tried plastics for Smelt. Yea or nay?
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #130 on: Sep 18, 2022, 02:25 PM »
We have used Berkley "Gulp" maggots before & done quite well. Some nights they will outfish live spikes. I like the white ones cut in 1/2. I have had limited success on the Chartruce colored ones also. The red ones have been useless IMO .

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #132 on: Sep 29, 2022, 01:05 PM »
I have a size smaller fire water marine light.bring it as a backup for smelt in case davess1 his light quits.i have used it for specks and its decent.think mine is only 12 or 16" long.i had to add a 4 oz sinker on the bottoms to get it to sink as it was neutral buoyant and it floated.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #133 on: Sep 29, 2022, 02:05 PM »
I have a size smaller fire water marine light.bring it as a backup for smelt in case davess1 his light quits.i have used it for specks and its decent.think mine is only 12 or 16" long.i had to add a 4 oz sinker on the bottoms to get it to sink as it was neutral buoyant and it floated.

Thanks Doc. Looks like I'll grab one then. Planning on a little more Smelt fishing this season. Just picked up a bunch of flies from Smeltbuster so tying up a few rigs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.