The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Gull Lake 2022 Ice & Fishing Reports  (Read 20650 times)

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Gull Lake 2022 Ice & Fishing Reports
« on: Jan 03, 2022, 12:24 PM »
Time to fire up this thread ! 1st. ice report , finally ! South Bay is skimmed over & 2nd. bay should be completely skimmed over in the next day or so. The rest of the lake is wide open. There will be LIMITED parking available @ the south end across the street from Capt. Mo's party store. Getting gear down to the lake may be a bit difficult, due to a narrow access point. Capt. Mo's has adult beverages & snacks, fresh bait & they also sell Gull Lake Smelt Factory Smelt flies. As for Baseline rd., there is a county or twp. owned garbage can there now. Hope this helps keep the area clean. I will post updated rates for Prarieville twp. park on the north end, in the next week or so. We also will be checking south bay every day starting in a couple of days. Hope to be fishing by the end of the week.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Gull Lake 2022 Ice & Fishing Reports
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2022, 07:11 PM »
Checked south bay tonight & it is not safe yet. Ice cracked under my feet about 10' from the end of the dock. About 1 1/2" of ice. Should be ready in a couple of days. We did not get as much snow east of Kalamazoo. 2nd. bay is pretty much locked up & the main lake is starting to lock up. Keep ya posted on what we find. No one has been out past where I went.

"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Kziceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2022, 08:14 AM »
Two guys on the baycam now.

Hope they stay on the north side of the ice.

My bait always catches fish...or dies trying.

Offline fishin4smelt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2022, 08:17 AM »
Thank you Smeltbuster for the update on the ice conditions. Looking forward to seeing you out on the hard water..

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2022, 08:20 AM »
Thanks Smeltbuster. I aee those people out there seems pretty iffy to me. Glad you didn't get the snow we did around GR.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2022, 08:57 AM »

Two guys on the baycam now.

Hope they stay on the north side of the ice.
from the Jaqua dock    I just looked at the baycam & it looks like they walked on from the dock across the street from Jaqua . I checked the ice at the party store dock last night. I was told last year,by the lady at Jaqua, that anyone walking on at that spot is Trespassing. Jaqua does NOT own that dock, & anyone that says they do ,is wrong.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2022, 04:21 PM »
South bay has about 5" out near the Narrows. the dock at the salon on 2nd. bay is a big NO GO . The bubblers are going & there is open water where we would usually walk on. I am going to try & access 2nd. bay tomorrow ,from south bay. I will also check more of the lake tomorrow. Have not heard of any great success on pannies on south bay.   

Offline WaterfowlNut!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2022, 06:14 AM »
Any report for the 2nd bay yet
Tight lines everyone!

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2022, 10:04 AM »
Checked it last night,2 1/2 - 3"  on the south part of 2nd. bay. Hit a couple of thin spots, so I'm not gonna say its safe yet. Yes, there are a few smelt there, but its not worth going for a swim. The salon is wide open due to the bubblers, so its a long walk from south bay.

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2022, 10:52 AM »
No gills because me and the kids caught them all ;)
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline WaterfowlNut!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2022, 06:52 PM »
Thanks for the update! So will we be able to park across from the salon again this year if the ice gets good around the docks? Seems like they had the bubblers going last year too but the ice was thick enough to walk on there am I right?
Tight lines everyone!

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2022, 08:52 AM »
Lots of guys out on 2nd. bay last night. About 5" of ice. The smelt are there, but all the noise is killing the bite. I did manage to get 82 last night.Lots of action 10'-25' down, when you get them under you. The rest of the lake is locking up.  The north end is usually not fishable till around the first of Feb. . Smelt jr. & I will be checking it daily, once it starts getting close. Lots of open water the past few days has locked up w/ the cold weather ,we just have to wait. As for the salon on 2nd. bay, the bubblers in front of the access were still going 2 days ago. I will check them again this afternoon. The walk from south bay is 550-750 yds. on avg. just to let ya know. Smooth ice ,no snow,pretty easy, even for an old fat guy like me !

Offline fishin4smelt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2022, 02:07 PM »
Thanks for the update Smeltbuster. I’m going to give it a try tonight. First time on the hard water this year. I’ll stop and say hello if I see you out there. Hopefully those little buggers will co-operate…

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2022, 10:49 AM »
The lake is Locked up ! We will start checking Baseline & the north end in 2-3 days & let ya know what we find. 2nd. Bay has been producing some good #s for some guys & others are struggling. I have had a few good nights & a couple of mediocre nights. 316,200,82,106 230 . A few friends have done very well. 4"-6" of ice on 2nd. bay. The salon is still bubbling.

Offline WaterfowlNut!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2022, 08:10 PM »
Planning on trying to chase some smelt tomorrow any word on the north end yet? Kinda worried about the parking situation on the bay  :o
Tight lines everyone!

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2022, 10:27 PM »
Smelt jr. & I are going to check the north end tomorrow. I will post what we find, after I get home from fishing . 2nd. bay is slowing down a bit & has lots of fishing  pressure right now. The lake locked up about 4-5 days ago. We had less than ideal temps on Tues. & Wed. ,so it might not be ready for a while. Keep in mind, the north end  & Baseline rd. are usually unsafe till about Feb. 1st , I think we are ahead of normal ! Dont be a fool & venture out on it till everything is good,      Phil

Offline WaterfowlNut!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2022, 09:44 PM »
Slow night on the bay for us. Anybody else have much luck?
Tight lines everyone!

Offline skibumm100

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2022, 12:24 PM »
Took a look at Baseline last night on the way home from work. Probably ten or more hubs off the shore. I talked to one gent who was heading out after parking his vehicle. He said there was 7 inches of ice, but I can't confirm.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2022, 10:28 PM »
Took a look at Baseline last night on the way home from work. Probably ten or more hubs off the shore. I talked to one gent who was heading out after parking his vehicle. He said there was 7 inches of ice, but I can't confirm.
I fished Baseline Friday Night & Sat. night. There is about 4" of ice. Fishing Fri. night was pretty good  Smelt jr. & I caught 158. I left a bit early Sat. night w/ 39  & he had almost that many & is still fishing as I type this. Friday night the ice was very sketchy (several spots w/ 2"). Tonight it was getting better ,but fishing was very slow.Lots of fish but a slow bite. As of now there is only a small amount of snow & the ice is crystal clear & hard. You can see smelt swimming under the ice & see your rig down to almost 10' . Quite a few guys out tonight (Sat.) ,but most left around 10:00 p.m. . We did find 2 bad spots tonight,so make sure to use a spud when venturing out. Watched several guys walk out Friday night to deeper water, & none of them were using spuds. Walking on uncharted  ice. STUPID ! I really expected to see someone go through.It has only been locked up for a week.I am fishing every night & will post updates.

Offline Bassslayer87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2022, 02:20 PM »
Went to Ned's Saturday night after fishing Upper Crooked. Saw a bunch of people fishing the north end. Even saw a guy drive a 4- wheeler out on the ice!!! Can't be enough ice for that yet.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2022, 02:39 PM »
Went to Ned's Saturday night after fishing Upper Crooked. Saw a bunch of people fishing the north end. Even saw a guy drive a 4- wheeler out on the ice!!! Can't be  enough ice for that yet.
They could not have gone very far out. We did not see them, And YES, you are correct,there is not enough ice yet !

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2022, 11:40 PM »

Fun Night on the ice. 112 Smeltzillas

Offline skibumm100

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2022, 10:35 AM »
Thanks for the ice update SB. The 7" report sounded a little fishy, but I couldn't confirm. Thanks for doing that. I saw the guys out at the boat launch out past the creek but I can't imagine that spot is very thick. That always seems to be open water a good part of the early season.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2022, 01:34 PM »
Forgot to mention last night; there was about 4' of new snow & we have got another inch or so today. Had a solid 5" of ice last night. Also,quite a few pike getting hooked while smelt fishing. Seen 2 successfully landed last night, on 3 lb. test. If you hook one,loosen your drag, stick your rod tip down in the water,take your time & have fun. Good chance you will land it if you follow these few tips.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2022, 02:00 PM »
Monday night was SLOW, but Smelt jr. & me each iced 100 last night & quit about 9:25 p.m. . Also, the access at the party store on south bay is now GONE . Fenced & posted. They had a barricade up that only allowed limited foot access & someone tore it down last week. I put it back up one afternoon & when I came in from fishing that night it was torn out again. 6" 3/8 lags ripped right out of the wood on the stairs. And people wonder why we keep loosing access points,  DUH . Many other places are now also roped off & posted. I would make sure you have permission before walking on. If law enforcement is called,you will be getting a trespass ticket.

Offline copcar340

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2022, 03:02 PM »
So where can a guy get on the ice nowadays legally without permission from some landowner? I'm Local here in Portage and haven't been to Gull in a few years since the Smelt die-off. The places I got on in the past were the Party Store (not anymore), the Salon? (Bubblers?), the North End Boat Launch (Safe Yet?), Baseline Rd? (Never Been Yet), The Bible Camp? (Went once in Blizzard and had a Hell of time Walking out). I prefer not to walk to far if possible as I'm gettin older and my knees aren't the greatest. I got me some of them Gull Lake SmeltBuster Ice Flies ready to go.   

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 26, 2022, 06:48 PM »
So where can a guy get on the ice nowadays legally without permission from some landowner? I'm Local here in Portage and haven't been to Gull in a few years since the Smelt die-off. The places I got on in the past were the Party Store (not anymore), the Salon? (Bubblers?), the North End Boat Launch (Safe Yet?), Baseline Rd? (Never Been Yet), The Bible Camp? (Went once in Blizzard and had a Hell of time Walking out). I prefer not to walk to far if possible as I'm gettin older and my knees aren't the greatest. I got me some of them Gull Lake SmeltBuster Ice Flies ready to go.   
  Guys are getting on at the north end launch,but I dont know what the ice conditions are . It SHOULD be ok if you stay away from the creek. Baseline rd. is safe for foot traffic. I suspect there will be snowmachines & quads out there soon. I do not know about the bible conf., but guys have been out there. Thanks for buying the flies, it is much appreciated. After 14 nights in a row of fishing, I took tonight off. Getting up early & heading for Franks in Linwood to pick up a new shanty. Decided to get something that was not so recognizable.

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:23 PM »
They need to make a white one for you  ;D. To bad about the south end.   :%$#!: Their will always be idiot's to ruin it for the rest of us.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #28 on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:25 PM »
Dont get a white shanty smeltbuster.lol i dont need the crowd thinking i am you!lol

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 26, 2022, 10:12 PM »
Dont get a white shanty smeltbuster.lol i dont need the crowd thinking i am you!lol
Dont worry, its not white.But the one I am getting is pretty common out there. BTW Dr. Speckler fishes in a white shanty & catches thousands of Smelt every night & loves it when other folks spud him in. He likes loud music & really enjoys folks coming over to visit him  while he reels in triples all night long. He even has extra beer to share . Heck of a nice guy  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.