Author Topic: Spring edibles foraging  (Read 1547 times)

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
Spring edibles foraging
« on: Jun 08, 2021, 05:25 PM »
When ice season ends I turn my attention to foraging. This was another great year for the ramps here in southeast NY, took about 25 pounds, eating all we could stand an selling about half of them.

From May 20 through June 5, we harvested every 3 days a huge flush of terrific golden oyster mushrooms, and could not even reach them all. Ate more than I should have and also put a bunch in the freezer for use throughout the year.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
Re: Spring edibles foraging
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2021, 05:26 PM »
I estimate we took easily 40 pounds of golden oysters, I am still sauteeing them, eating some now and freezing some. We could not even reach I'd say 30 pounds that were too high in the tree, but we got to witness these high ones do a massive spore dump - you could see what looked like smoke pouring out of them and that will seed the area for the future to get more when the conditions are right.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2021, 08:28 AM »
When ice season ends I turn my attention to foraging. This was another great year for the ramps here in southeast NY, took about 25 pounds, eating all we could stand an selling about half of them.

From May 20 through June 5, we harvested every 3 days a huge flush of terrific golden oyster mushrooms, and could not even reach them all. Ate more than I should have and also put a bunch in the freezer for use throughout the year.

Awesome - are these wild or are you growing them somehow?
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2021, 09:33 AM »
its been a great year for mulberry and blackberries in my neck of the woods - not so great for mushrooms

Catchin' Fish

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2021, 06:35 PM »
Awesome - are these wild or are you growing them somehow?

These are wild and we spend time every spring and in the main fall mushroom season hiking in good habitat for them. Golden oyster mushrooms are not native to North America, they are Asian in origin, but I will take an invasive species that tastes this good any day.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2021, 06:36 PM »
Thank you Ship of Fools and Matzilla for the " off-season " replies to my posts

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jun 25, 2021, 07:25 PM »
Earlier this year!

"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #7 on: Jun 25, 2021, 09:53 PM »
Nice morels ! I have never found any that fresh !

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #8 on: Jul 08, 2021, 06:14 PM »
The calendar date now has this thread at  " Summer edibles foraging ". My update is that it is a better than average year for blackcaps here - we have taken 9 quarts so far without even trying that hard. Also, the the golden oyster mushroom spot that I thought was done 3 weeks ago is producing again ! We took 10 pounds out on July 5 and left about 10 more pounds of perfect ones. I already have a bunch frozen from a month ago and have not found anyone yet that will buy what I can't use. !!!

Next week the wineberries will be on, but I don't know if I will feel like getting these this year ( they are not great eaten raw but make out-of-tis-world jam ). Maybe the kids will still want to harvest.

In 2 weeks the blackberries will be on, and we go after these with fervor as they make the best pie you can imagine  ;)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Jul 08, 2021, 07:14 PM »
Raspberries are about ripe here,my huge wild blackberry patch is  loaded with green berries right now.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jul 08, 2021, 08:15 PM »
Agree with “Summer Foraging”! With the rain we’ve been having, my guess is that the Boletes will be popping out soon in abundance. I need to get out soon and get a few!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #11 on: Jul 09, 2021, 07:54 AM »
I was at my cabin in North Central PA this past weekend and the wild blueberries and strawberries were so sweet and in abundance.  So many of them my son had to go out and pick some every day they were so good!
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2021, 01:28 PM »
I was at my cabin in North Central PA this past weekend and the wild blueberries and strawberries were so sweet and in abundance.  So many of them my son had to go out and pick some every day they were so good!

Mumbleseed, getting your kids into berry and other wild edible harvesting insures that they will have a lifetime of respect and admiration for the gifts that nature provides us. So many kids don't have anyone that can teach them these skills and so it makes me sad that they will never know the pleasure of eating wild berries, the best thing tat tere is about summer. We feel like the richest people in the world wen we are enjoying our wild berries.  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.